Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Lime Marinated Grilled Chicken
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CompWiz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had this chicken with a couple of the user posted variations: I marinated it overnight with the egg yolk and 1/2 cup of oil, and I broiled it in my oven at 375 for about an hour.

It turned out great(I made drumsticks and thighs). I was really getting tired of the usual baked chicken with a few spices on it and some bbq sauce on it, but this was a wholly different experience. It was deliciously juicy, and had an excellent flavor. I'll definately be using this recipe again. Thanks. Smile
chopper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: one warning re: meat and salt Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, in general meats are injected water and salt solutions to "increase flavor" (and, in my opinion, to reduce the amount of meat they are actually selling you per pound). I should have noted at the begining of this article to NOT purchase chickens with salt water added as this will end up exceedingly salty. Having the presalted chicken sit in lime water wouldn't achieve quite the same results either as the meat does not begin to actively draw in the lime juice - you have to hope some of it seeps in through natural random motion and not actively through osmotic pressure

you might also want to make a note to avoid this kind of brine/marinade with kosher birds, which are already hell of salted.

i always try to marinade or brine whenever i have a chance, even if only for an hour. it always helps.
Stevie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: kosher chicken? Reply with quote

If using kosher chicken (which is already heavily salted as part of the kashering process), is it advisable to skip the salt in this recipe?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: lime marinated chicken Reply with quote

Wonderful recipe! We have made it twice... We halved the recipe and used it for 4-5 split chicken breasts. I love how moist it is with no worries about drying out the chicken with overcooking. Made some excellent chicken alfredo with it this weekend. Even after reheating leftover chicken in the microwave, it is still moist. Now that's an accomplishment! Thanks for a great site.
Jaye Lauren

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Yum! Reply with quote

Someone linked me to your blog last night, and I've spent about three hours reading everything. I'm an arts (Media Studies/International Relations) student, but I used to be an Microbiology student and I have a very analytical mind so the way you present the recipes works great for me, I love lime and garlic and a little heat from the chile, so I'm going to try this tomorrow night.
Julia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Question about brining... Reply with quote

I am wondering if it's ok if I put the chicken in the brine for 2 hours in the morning, take it out and rinse it, but not cook it until that evening. Will this make a difference? Thank you! Feel free to email the answer to me. I want to make this tomorrow, but I don't get home from work until after 7pm.
Julia
Ridsbabe@aol.com
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Question about brining... Reply with quote

Julia wrote:
I am wondering if it's ok if I put the chicken in the brine for 2 hours in the morning, take it out and rinse it, but not cook it until that evening. Will this make a difference?

That should be fine. Just make sure you refrigerate it after brining and before cooking.
Julia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Thanks!! Reply with quote

Julia wrote:
I am wondering if it's ok if I put the chicken in the brine for 2 hours in the morning, take it out and rinse it, but not cook it until that evening. Will this make a difference?

That should be fine. Just make sure you refrigerate it after brining and before cooking.

Thanks for the tips...it was a HUGE hit with my husband and my brother, who usually do the cooking on our house!!
thefussyeater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: What a combination Reply with quote

Thank you for this recipe.
It was easy to make and delicious.
What else can one ask for?
turbo mechanical engineer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Recipe worked out well Reply with quote

I tried soy sauce instead of salt ( it was great) and cooked in on a grill, another time I baked it and finally I used a Convection Oven. That was the best !
thanks for your simple and great advice
ddsclub

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: a little white wine Reply with quote

instead of water white wine or beer makes the chicken have a bit more bite than water. I do theis when I do bbq's I also use med 5minutes in the micro wave before I bbq the chicken. Everyone is always hungry and always worries about the chicken being raw, especially in Shanghai China.

Luke
rich.bronson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent recipe. I have made similar meals in the past like this one but this recipe looks unique and very interesting. I can't wait to try it out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: a little twist on this dish... Reply with quote

I'm new to your site, I'll be trying your grilled salmon tonight. On Fridays instead of Burgers we do this:

Pound to 1/2" thickness 4 boneless chicken breasts; marinated in juice of 2 limes, 8 cloves of garlic crushed, 1/2 tsp cayenne, 1/4 cup cilantro, jalepeno chili (heat to your liking) 3 tbsp olives oil, 1/2 tsp salt; let soak for 2 hours in fridge.

Prepare your favorite guacamole from scratch.

Get: a can of poblano chili's or roast altertnatively and monterrey jack cheese.

Prepare chipotle mayo by mixing 1/2 cup of good mayonaise with 2 chipotle chili peppers in adobo (with the sauce still clinging to them) finely chopped and refridgerate them

grill chicken breasts over medium hot

Assemble your sandwiches, (we like get a nice crusty baguette, and lightly toast the cut side) by coating one side of baguette with chipotle mayo, topping with a chicken breast, some poblano, cheese and coating the other side of the bread with the guacamole

Ole
kberg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Made this tonight Reply with quote

I made this dish tonight, along with cous-cous and grilled asparagus. Everything went well and my guests were as pleased as I with the results. Every time I have tried a recipe from this website I have been happy with every recipe from cookingforengineers.com, but there haven't been new recipes in a while. I wish recipes were posted once again.
Mike K

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tasty recipe. Only thing I did add was a few sprigs of Cilantro into the brine. Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy. Thanks for this site and the way you structure your recipes.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: