Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pork/Beef/Chicken/Turkey, etc. Penhaligon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gareth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Pork/Beef/Chicken/Turkey, etc. Penhaligon Reply with quote

My Friend Margaret Mary and myself had a meal at the Local Waffle House in Norwich city centre the other night.

Margaret Mary is a Chemistry professor and is she my friend. Yes, we dated earlier this year, but there was no chemistry. However, we have become good friends. MM is also a Jazz singer, and her new partner hates Jazz. So I end up chauffeuring her about and minding her on performance nights. She always takes me for a meal before the musical onslaught, and few weeks ago we went to the Waffle house where we had Pork Penhaligon. It was that good I asked the chef for the recipe, I have tried it at home a couple of times, once with stewing Steak and once with Diced Chicken. There is a trick to this main course, and that is to crush and not mill the Peri-peri peppercorns. It really does make a noticeable difference!

Peel and crush 12-20 (depending on taste) Peri-Peri peppercorns and stir into your diced raw meat. Allow to stand in the fridge for a few hours.

Sautee a large Red Onion and a couple of chopped Celery stalks in Extra Virgin Olive oil, and then add a very generous tablespoon of crushed Spanish Paprika, Leave on the heat and stir continuously for 2-3 minutes. Salt is not needed because of the Celery.

Add the meat and brown off.

Add an equal weight (to the meat ) of sliced Button Mushrooms, and a diced Red (Bell) Pepper, continue stirring on a high heat until the mushrooms start to sweat. Cover with boiling water, and add an OXO cube. Cover and simmer for 45-60. minutes and then thicken with either cornflower or a Roux.

Serve with your favourite steamed Vegetables.

I have found that this main course is really complimented when served with Roasted, or Jacket Potato's.

Last edited by Gareth on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Gareth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I just love this Penhaligon base recipe. Tonight I tried it using a couple of wild rabbits, butchered into chunks. It was absolutely delicious !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum