Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TURDUCKEN !!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: TURDUCKEN !!! Reply with quote

I've readl about this wonderful, strange dish in a magazine.
It's called TURDUCKEN, which is a deboned turkey stuffed with a deboned duck stuffed with a deboned chicken stuffed with corn bread and pork stuffings.

It was invented in Maurice, Louisiana and usually cooked for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Does anybody know about this dish? Maybe Michael might want to have a go
and tell us what it taste like?
LoveToCook

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend at work had one last Thanksgiving, and didn't like it. But everyone has different tastes!
Frank2941

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Rather Poppular In Lower Alabama Reply with quote

It is rather popular here in LA (ie. Lower Alabama).

A lot of restaurants offer it for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The going price around here for a frozen (uncooked) turducken (15 lb range) is in the $75 range.
Smillie - OzFire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an old Celtic recipe, I have cooked it since I was a teenager, and I am an old boiler now. The recipe I use was from 1510 . and was the recall of a old recipe from the hills.. first birds are a few quail, couple of pigeons, pheasant, chicken duck and a turkey. Traditional for hogmanay (New years eve) all boned with various stuffing's served with neeps and tatties
the duck fat is cut away and spread throughout the stuffing.

The Gaelic name for the dish is Cuirm feitheid

I sell them raw for $250. cooked for $279. Aust
Or teach you and some friends at you place Min 5 people
for $20.00 each + Overheads - bit of bubbly - Its great fun

much cheaper without the truffles, pheasant, pigeons and quail
Mmmm keep the truffles... please!!!!

full Recipe
http://www.ozfire.com/cooking/celtic/mains/cuirm-feitheid.htm

Last edited by Smillie - OzFire on Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:01 am; edited 5 times in total
Marsha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Turducken Reply with quote

I have cooked turducken and found it good. It comes frozen in my part of the world (Northern California), with a rice stuffing within the inner bird. It is expensive - pushing $200 for a big one. The outside bird (turkey) has the legs and wings still attached, but you "carve" the breast by slicing it as you would bread, and getting concentric circles of various meats and stuffing.
Z

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have cooked turducken - I followed the general recipe listed here - http://www.blacktable.com/turducken031217.htm - and after a couple hours deboning, stuffing, tying, and cooking, I felt it was worth the effort. Quite moist and flavorful. That said, I didn't cook it again this year - but would if I had the time and enough people to feed.

Z
member but forgot my pass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Turducken Reply with quote

I that something you eat??
FranksPlace2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: I have made it several times. Reply with quote

In the 1980s I went to Paul Prudhommes restaurant in New Orleans where, as part of a radio program, he was making Turducken. I watched them debone the three birds.

Subsequently I moved to Pittsburgh and made it from scratch. It took me three days and two bottles of bourbon. (There is no boubon in the recipe.) I made a video while making it.

In 1988 in New Orleans for my daughter's wedding, I made Turducken from scratch with my brother-in-law. I cooked it overnight at 225 F. another video, now a DVD.

Now I am back in New Orleans (What's left of it). I make it about once a year using deboned birds (TUrkey,DUck, chickEN) from the local purveyor.

Contact me if you want more info.

Frank
LAN3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See that recipe link above-- Turducken is just poultry if you don't have the 3 traditional stuffings.

Also, if you can't handle 3 birds or you're only feeding a few people, get a boneless, skiness breast of each bird (except get some skin on the turkey breast, since it'll be the exterior), butterfly the breasts, and you can stack the birds with layers of stuffing in between and on top. Then get some good cotton string and tie the breasts closed. Roast, and then slice in cross-section and serve!
Dryver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definetly not the traditional version.

http://asteroid.divnull.com/?p=70

Might have to try it this weekend
socal_chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on putting one on the grill for Thanksgiving this year. There's a ton of places you can order them online, but we're going with this one:

www.cajuncreations.com

First time I saw one was on Paula Dean's show. I was instantly sold!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost the time of year again for the most perverted, decadent, delicious poultry recipe there is!
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Try Walmart. Much ado about nothing. Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
It's almost the time of year again for the most perverted, decadent, delicious poultry recipe there is!

We bought a Turducken one year at WalMart (frozen, about $70). Now that we live in Southeast Texas, we buy them fresh at the local cajun grocery. They come in two varieties here: Creole shrimp and rice or crawfish and cornbread stuffing. I prefer the latter. The real delight is slicing the cooked bird(s). The perfect slice reveals the stuffing, a layer of chicken, a layer of duck and finally, a layer of turkey. This is probably the pinnacle of abominations to a vegan, but really tasty and lots of fun on a holiday.

If you can make a turducken (from scratch) and have folks smacking their lips after the meal (see perfect slices above), then "Chef du Cuisine" you are!
socal_chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Try Walmart. Much ado about nothing. Reply with quote

EngineeringProfessor wrote:

We bought a Turducken one year at WalMart (frozen, about $70). Now that we live in Southeast Texas, we buy them fresh at the local cajun grocery. They come in two varieties here: Creole shrimp and rice or crawfish and cornbread stuffing. I prefer the latter. The real delight is slicing the cooked bird(s). The perfect slice reveals the stuffing, a layer of chicken, a layer of duck and finally, a layer of turkey. This is probably the pinnacle of abominations to a vegan, but really tasty and lots of fun on a holiday.

If you can make a turducken (from scratch) and have folks smacking their lips after the meal (see perfect slices above), then "Chef du Cuisine" you are!

We're going to order ours form a Cajun site down south, just for the sake of time and prep.

I'd love some tips on slicing, as this will be my first turducken. I'm also going to grill it instead of baking it. I'll be sure to take many pics and post up the results.
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Try Walmart. Much ado about nothing. Reply with quote

socal_chris wrote:
EngineeringProfessor wrote:

The real delight is slicing the cooked bird(s). The perfect slice reveals the stuffing, a layer of chicken, a layer of duck and finally, a layer of turkey. This is probably the pinnacle of abominations to a vegan, but really tasty and lots of fun on a holiday.

We're going to order ours form a Cajun site down south, just for the sake of time and prep.

I'd love some tips on slicing, as this will be my first turducken. I'm also going to grill it instead of baking it. I'll be sure to take many pics and post up the results.

Like all roasted meats, allowing it to rest and cool a bit after cooking settles everything. Properly prepared Turducken will be boneless and, IMO, needs to be sliced perpendicular to the breast centerline (oppoposite to how you would normally carve a bird). You are looking for that multi-layer slice, ovoid with a stuffing center and concentric rings of the three birds apparent. That said, there will be quite a bit of "odd cuts" since a Turducken is a lot of meat and the birds are certainly not egg-shaped ;-)

I would be just a bit nervous grilling a Turducken and cannot offer any advice there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum