Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking true Japanese style tonkatsu not comng out right at

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhillipJKO@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:35 am    Post subject: Cooking true Japanese style tonkatsu not comng out right at Reply with quote

I have tried with several approaches and using a deep dryer at 350 degree for 4-5 mins. I first make cut sides on sides of pork loin, pound it well both sides, coat flour on both side, put into an egg solution both sides, then put on a grovery store panko mix, then deep fry it. Somehow it comes out over cook and not soft or good like those in the restaurant in Tokyo, Singapore or even in Las Vegas or NYC ones. Anyone know what is going on? Are there steps being implmented wrongly? I think the timing and it is not soft like those I had. I know people say to use real fresh bread instead of Panko mix.. but the timing and meat itself is also off. I cannot find pork like wagyu where there is oil consistency all over the loin area.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the basics look right - but obviously if the pork is overcooked it gets tough.

the fry time is likely the issue. do you have a thermometer to check the meat temperature 'as cooked?'
commercial pork only needs 145'F - you'll want to pull it sooner because it will continue to cook after it comes out of the pan/deep fryer.

the tricky bit is . . . a 'high' temp is needed to get the nice color
but too long at too high = overcooked.

some things you can try:
#1 - brine the pork in salt solution, 7.5% by weight of water. minimum 3 hours.

#2 - remove the pork from the refrigerator and brine - allow to come to room temp - about 40 minutes. if the meat is cold, the outer parts overcook before the center is done...

various recipes use pork loin, pork tenderloin, pork chops.
I'd go with tenderloin - and first cut it lengthwise so it is not 2-3 inches thick.

for breading I've found using a combination of store bought "bread crumbs" and panko to work better than 100% panko. it "sticks" better and the coating is more complete. roughly half&half ratio.

another trick for a thicker breading/crust is to "double dip" -
flour dredge + beaten egg wash + crumb/panko mix
allow to air dry on a rack at least 20 minutes. do not short cut the air dry.
second pass in the eggs wash + breading mix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum