Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Traditional Chicken Pot Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is planning on doing a while roast chicken, I suggest removing the legs which you can still roast with your chicken (or now chicken crown). I never understand why people roast the whole bird, the legs take considerably longer to cook the the breast, so while your legs may still be underdone the rest of the bird is drying out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this would work with a cornbread topping instead of biscuit...any thoughts?

-M.S.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>thoughts?

why not?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save chicken fat and substitute it for the butter the flavour intensifies if you do as such.
Chicken Fat Pie Crust
2.5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp mace
10 ounces frozen chicken fat
1/3 cup ice cold chicken stock

Place the flour, salt and mace into a food processor ( pick one up at the resale store) whir for about five seconds to mix.
Cut the chicken fat into little cubes. Add to the processor and whir about eight seconds. Add chicken stock, whir about five seconds.
Dump ingredients into a bowl and gather together to form a ball.
Cut the dough in half, placing each into plastic wrap and flatten. Let rest in the fridge minimum one hour.
Roll dough out between two pieces of waxed paper dusted with flour. When rolled out into disks place in fridge for a half hour.
Place one disk at the base of a deep 10' pie pan, preferably ceramic or glass, pour in your chicken mixture top and seal with remaining disk perforate with a fork and cut open steam vents. Brush with milk.
Place pie in fridge for one hour.
Set rack on lowest level, preheat oven to 425 F , bake for twenty minutes lower to 350 F for the last thirty minutes or until done.
Take out of oven, let rest then devour.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, oh, my, my, love that format! soo much appreciation. The block diagram is wonderful. I may have to make this a primary recipe website. thanks.
nnwhit@webtv.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: pot pie container Reply with quote

On two different(one chicken and one beef pot pie) occasions I have lost product to floor due to container collasp, Hold on both sides but due to wait the flimsy carton folds in center causing splilling. Can't see me buying any longer until you come up with adequate container!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: pot pie container Reply with quote

nnwhit@webtv.net wrote:
On two different(one chicken and one beef pot pie) occasions I have lost product to floor due to container collasp, Hold on both sides but due to wait the flimsy carton folds in center causing splilling. Can't see me buying any longer until you come up with adequate container!

methinks you found the wrong place [g]
sagha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: turnovers Reply with quote

Thank you for this great recipe, I particularly love the nutmeg! I added mushrooms, potatoes, and garlic paste, and made turnovers using puff pastry. they were wonderful!
missboss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: question Reply with quote

i dont have lemon juice is there anything i can use to replace it??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to make pot pie tonight and realized (too late) that I had no cream of anything soup!!! Found your recipe, and less than ten minutes later I have a wonderful pie in the oven, and the sauce was so easy and yummy!! Thanks so much!
ebernickle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: chicken pot pie Reply with quote

this looks delicious....would love to see how it looks once plated...thanks
Jaron80

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Delicious Chicken Pie Recipe! Reply with quote

This was delicious! I made it completely non-fat, in that I SLOWLY, tsp. after tsp., whisked the flour into warm homemade chicken stock (simmered a store-bought roasted chicken carcass for 3 hrs., then skimmed the fat the next day) until it was completely incorporated and thickened (no butter), then added 1 c. skim milk and 1/2 c. fat-free half and half. I also added 1 chicken bouillon cube, some salt and ground white pepper. To that I added the meat that remained after boiling what was left of the chicken, plus some added white meat that I had originally cut from the chicken; frozen peas that I cooked; and sliced fresh carrots that I cooked in the micro. I boiled a potato and cut it up into small cubes. This was absolutely unbelievably good. I really do think the homemade stock made a big difference. And, seriously, the lack of butter did not in any way adversely affect the taste!! Thank you so much for this delicious recipe!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Great site, thank you! Reply with quote

Really impressive presentation and directions, my favorite recipe site is epicurious but you are right up there in the big leagues and definitely exceed them as far as logical layout. Thank you very much and bon appetit! Smile
Ang

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Awesome...even dairy free! Reply with quote

Thanks for this well written recipe. It worked perfectly for us...follow directions people!

Anyway, we have dairy allergies, but I just used coconut milk (the pourable kind) and EarthBalance shortening instead of regular milk and butter and it still turned out fantastic!

Thanks!!
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Traditional PA Dutch Pot Pie (Chef Ronin 11/05) Reply with quote

Chef Ronin is correct - this is not "Pot Pie", it's a pan pie!!! The traditional pot pie or "Bot Boi" (PA Dutch for "pot pie") is chicken & vegetables IN A POT with "dough boil" (dough rolled out, cut into squares & thrown into the POT of bubbling broth). The entire commercial world (Swanson, KFC, Marie Callendar, etc) is guilty of pertetuating this misnomer and they're making me crazy!!! Also, Anonymous stated that what Chef Ronin (& I) call pot pie is really chicken & dumplings..... Wrong!!! Dumplings are a totally different animal! (light fluffy clouds floating on top of the stew, easily achieved with Bisquick)

BTW, this recipe for Chicken Pie (NOT IN A POT, for crying outloud) looks delicious & I love the format. My grandfather was an engineer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: