Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Traditional Chicken Pot Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guest wrote:
I don't get the picture of the eggs and oil and whatever the other stuff is in that picture, it's not in the recipe.

Wow, I wonder how many years that picture's been showing the wrong one! I've fixed it.
boho

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can this recipe be made a day ahead?
or the biscuit part shouldbe done right befoe baking??

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yummy - this is just what I was looking for!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boho wrote:
can this recipe be made a day ahead?
or the biscuit part shouldbe done right befoe baking??

it's a good idea - helps get max rise/fluff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a better, (no offense) much more time consuming recipe for what I would consider "traditional" chicken pot pie here: Chicken Pot Pie.
It took me about 4hrs to make, but it was the best pot pie I have ever had.
Paula

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Traditional Chicken Pot Pie Reply with quote

This is the first of your recipes I've tried and it is absolutely delicious. I made it tonight and just had to say how fantastic it is. It's definitely a keeper and I've bookmarked this site. Thanks, Chef Chu.
gigi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: leftovers or making ahead and freezing Reply with quote

Is it possible to cook this ahead of time and freeze it? Or does that ruin the crust?

In the same vein, can leftovers be frozen and reheated without losing any quality?
henry alichi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually not the cook in the family, however I'm unemployed and have begun to do more of the cooking at home. My wife roasted four chickens Sunday (Oct 4) intending to make chicken pot pie for our own family and to bring to an ailing relative. Her work intervened and there I was, never made a chicken pot pie and we can't afford to waste the chickens. I began by combing my wife's cook book collection and then on to the Web. I made two examples for us for Monday and, having met the approval of the Head Chef, I made another for the relative. I approached this very methodically and (I think) I combined the best of the many recipes available.
This recipe comes by far the closest to what I ended up making and the results were great! Oh, I also ran my final version past a family member who harks back to the Day when my grandfather's family restaurant served a chicken pot pie that folks would come back for repeatedly.
There is nothing like cooking this from scratch to get great taste.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigi -

yes it could be done ahead, cooled then frozen.

and as you suspect, the crust will not be as crisp or nice as fresh . . .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: How much chicken? Reply with quote

Took me a while to figure out how much chicken was needed; found it at the end of the recipe in the "wiring diagram". Maybe add this info to the main body of the recipe...
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed. Added chicken quantity to main text.
Yammys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: freezing chicken pot pie Reply with quote

Gigi: I am making the chicken pot pie today with turkey and will freeze a couple of pans for future meals, at the time of the future meal I will add the crust so it will be light and fluffy like the first meal.
tickerwiz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Excellent Dish Reply with quote

OMG. I am an engineer and this site is awsome. The pictures and charts really do the trick!
imafakeengineer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: it was great! Reply with quote

just made this tonight, instead of rolling out the biscuits i just pulled pieces off the ball and laid them on top before baking.
Sunshinerain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Chicken Pot Pie Reply with quote

I have been making a similar recipe for years. We usually make it with our Turkey leftovers around the holidays. I don't use the sherry or the nutmeg though. And I use frozen biscuits on top. By the time the biscuits are ready, the dish is heated through! I also have frozen the dish for later use but don't put the biscuits on until it is thawed and ready to go into the oven. Still comes out great. My family loves it and it has become a holiday tradition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: