Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Traditional Chicken Pot Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: question Reply with quote

hagar wrote:
I just wanted to know the biscuit crust is only on top or it also on bottom like first curst then filling then again curst?The recpie looks very tempting and i want to make it very soon.

The biscuit crust is only on top.
Janine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: chicken + gravy Reply with quote

I found this thread by accident but I think this recipe sounds great .

I read comments on Pa Dutch pot pie type of dough or filo and I would like to add to this the chicken and waffle dish, also Pa Dutch.

Just make the waffles and top with the chicken + gravy and veggies.

If you like the biscuit top you will love the waffle bottom!

It's all about the chicken and gravy. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was one of the best reicpies for pot pie that I had tried. I actually used wild turkey for it and I had people asking for more. I would highly reccomend it for anyone that wants to produce a tastey and creamy pot pie that was full of flavor. I had severl people ask what the secret was, and any great chef never tells !!!
Thanks again.
Mathi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: How much? Reply with quote

This recipe looks really good and I am thinking of serving it to some friends on our movie night. Just one question though...how much does it make? I looked all over, maybe I missed it, but I completely didn't see any number of servings listed.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How much? Reply with quote

Mathi wrote:
This recipe looks really good and I am thinking of serving it to some friends on our movie night. Just one question though...how much does it make? I looked all over, maybe I missed it, but I completely didn't see any number of servings listed.

Sorry, I forgot to put that in. I've added the serving size. This recipe serves 6 as a full meal.
Rick2U

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Great Pie Reply with quote

I was yearning for some comfort food and this came up when I did a search on Google. I tripled the recipe as I wanted leftovers for my wife's lunches. I pretty well stuck to your recipe but added some mushroom, forgot the peas (by accident) added some cayenne (just enough that you knew it was there) and used the pastry you suggested. I especially liked the rectangles as it was easy to serve individual portions and to freeze for lunches. My wife loves it and the cook as I am retired and enjoy cooking. Keep up the good work on the site.
Rick in Timmins
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Made some modifications Reply with quote

I've made this recipe twice now, the first time as-written and the second with a couple of changes. Here's what I modified this last time:

- Turkey instead of chicken. Lots of turkey left over after Thanksgiving

- A tablespoon more butter when making the roux. I agree with other posters that the recipe as written gives too thick a roux for my tastes

- Half-and-half instead of milk. This gives a much creamier consistency to the sauce

- Homemade turkey stock instead of canned/boxed chicken stock. Using homemade stock makes the sauce *so* much more rich and mellow.

- Drop biscuits on top instead of rolled. I just like the texture of the drop biscuits better; the little peaks crunch up nicely.

For me, these changes elevate the recipe from good to excellent.
JP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Size of pan Reply with quote

I don't see the size of the baking pan. It appears to be a 9 X 13 . Correct?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Size of pan Reply with quote

JP wrote:
I don't see the size of the baking pan. It appears to be a 9 X 13 . Correct?

Yes, 9x13. I'll update the article now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, Michael, I made chicken pie according to your recipe, and I think it turned out quite well (although I didn't follow your recipe exactly. You can see for yourself at organicallycooked.blogspot.com/2007/12/chicken-pie.html.
Mychca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Traditional Chicken Pot Pie Reply with quote

This is a really great traditional chicken pot pie recipe. Every time I make this recipe for guests, they can’t get enough. Though, I did substitute the nutmeg for 3 cloves of garlic, and I also used the suggestion for topping the pie with the basic biscuit recipe.
Langu dans la Joue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: horrid results with your chicken recipe Reply with quote

I decided to try your recipe, and followed it exactly. Except the weather was too bad to go shopping, so I just used what was in my refrigerator. Didn't have chicken, but nearly everything tastes like chicken anyway, so had some frozen oppossum left from last summer, used that. No chicken broth, used Cream of Shrimp soup as I mentioned, everything tastes like chicken anyway. Instead of all the vegetables I popped open a can of stew which was languishing on the pantry shelf, it says it had most of those vegetables in it, so what the heck. Didn't have sherry, used whiskey, it's got alcohol in it too, just the same. Don't like nutmeg so I never buy it, used cinnamon, have plenty of that. Out of butter, so I skipped all that, used refrigerator biscuits for the topper. By the way, I read all the previous posts from people who had horrid results with your recipe before I tried it, and I don't know what's wrong with people, my family ate every bit and loved it.
Rach

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool The receipe was fabulous. Used puff pastry to make it quick. My left over homemade chicken stock and Wondra (I'm a bit lazy to whisk alot) made the sauce beautifully creamy. This will now be a house standard.
Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it today for my family coming home tomorrow so I tried it for dinner tonight. I did not bake it, I just put it in to a bread bowl and ate it. I don't like the nutmeg taste so I would scratch that. It's thicker than I would like. Next time I'll add more stock and milk. Hopefully it will hold up when I add some liquid tomorrow.
mina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: sounds great! Reply with quote

This recipe sounds really good, but I wanted to know if I could use Pillsbury crescent rolls instead of biscuits? And if I did how long should i cook it for?
Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: