Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Traditional Chicken Pot Pie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cameron Carroll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Potato Reply with quote

Where is the potato? I can't find it anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELICIOUS RECIPE!!!! Made it a few years ago and looked it up again because of all the compliments I received. Thank's for making me look like a chef.
MGP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Pot Pie Reply with quote

Today I made this recipe the fifth time. My family loves it. I added two medium potatoes. I have a lemon pepper that I substitute for fresh lemon and white pepper. I never seem to remember to pick up a lemoin for the recipe. Enjoy!
ATC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Great Comfort Food for Cold Weather Dining Reply with quote

YUM. I was so glad to come across this recipe when searching for something comfy to make on a ridiculously cold evening. Made just a few minor mods and they turned out great!

I used white wine instead of sherry, since I don't go through sherry fast enough.

Also, I used Pillsbury Grands biscuit dough (original flavor) for the topping since NASA could use the dough I make for heat shielding (how's that for engineering??). If you split the biscuit thickness in half, you get the optimal filling:topping ratio and the round shape of the preformed biscuits makes it easy to spoon out servings. I found I only had to bake mine for 19 minutes at 400 before my crust got nice and toasty.

For chicken, I bought one of the herb-roasted birds sold in the grocery store deli. I used the dark meat as well as breast meat, about 3/4 of the bird. This was nice because I could use the rest of the meat for chicken salad and the carcass for stock.

A tip to the users who struggle with lumpy roux -- add the flour gradually, whisking all the while. It's much easier not to form lumps in the first place than to chase them around the pan to whisk them out.

Thanks for taking the time to share your recipe. It was delightful!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: YUM! Reply with quote

I tried to pin this but it says there are not any big pictures! Maybe you should add a pin button Smile
Thanks for the recipe! It is baking now, but the pot pie recipe tastes wonderful already!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: YUM! Reply with quote

guest wrote:
I tried to pin this but it says there are not any big pictures! Maybe you should add a pin button Smile

There's a pinterest button on the left side of the screen with all the other social sharing buttons. I tried it and it seems to be able to pin the images on the page.

guest wrote:
Thanks for the recipe! It is baking now, but the pot pie recipe tastes wonderful already!

You're welcome! Hope it comes out to your liking!
The Bionic Stan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Missing step? Reply with quote

Michael, it's a nice recipe as usual, but I think you left out one or more steps or pictures. The illo for "After one minute, remove from heat and add 2 cups chicken broth." shows the addition and whisking of the flour, and the text doesn't mention adding the flour.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing step? Reply with quote

The Bionic Stan wrote:
Michael, it's a nice recipe as usual, but I think you left out one or more steps or pictures. The illo for "After one minute, remove from heat and add 2 cups chicken broth." shows the addition and whisking of the flour, and the text doesn't mention adding the flour.

The flour was actually part of the previous sentence. I reorganized the text a little (moved the statement about the flour down to the picture you are referring to and moved the chicken broth down to the following picture) and hopefully that will read better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. You're making the chief "sauce" of this recipe as a béchamel. That's roux and milk. A classic chix pot pie uses a different sauce called a veloute, which is roux and chicken stock. Once the final consistency is achieved; one can then top off with heavy cream (OFF the flame), and the final result is more traditional. Pot pie filling begins with the sauce. Béchamel is too white and devoid of flavor for this application. It works wonders for the base for macaroni and cheese; but not so much here. A veloute, you'll find, tastes more like chicken, is less white, and adds MUCH more to flavor and aroma, not to mention, traditional pot pie appearance.
Vllowell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Love this recipe Reply with quote

I found this recipe perhaps 10 years ago and have been making it ever since. I make the creamed chicken and then pour into small pie tins. I cover with pie crust and bake. It is always sooooo good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Chicken Pot Pie Reply with quote

I like this site because, generally, the ingredients are posted as grams or precise measurements (i cup chopped peppers, etc.). However, I observed in this recipe the author listed an ingredient as "one medium onion". That is pretty subjective because my idea of medium and yours may be quite different. Just sayin..................... Smile
glitchbane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject: A New Epiphany about Chicken Pot Pie Reply with quote

I've been making this recipe for several years. We like it. But it always seemed like there wasn't enough filling for a 9x13 pan. Today I doubled the recipe thinking I'd freeze half for later. Then I read the instructions to use 2.5 quarts of creamed chicken. That's ten cups. I measured it out, and it turns out that double the recipe for the creamed chicken is ten cups.

I had always assumed that one recipe of the creamed chicken would go into one recipe of the pot pie. Lesson learned!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.

a 9x13 pan (atypical for a 'pot pie'...) is 177 square inches
ten cups = 144.4 cubic inches - will fill a 9x13 pan to a depth of 1.23 inches - which I agree is pretty skimpy for a 'pot pie'

a 9x9 will fill to 1.77 inches depth
better still,
a 8x8 will fill to 2.25 inches - that'd be my choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: