Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Homemade Mayonnaise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desperate-housewife

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

I thought i lead a boring life!! ,,just buy a jar of mayonaise instead,,lets face it ,,it tastes the same anyway,,and no1 really cares this much about mayonaise& any1 who goes on about homemade mayonnaise being a wonderful thing needs 2 get out more. Shock

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using grapeseed oil. It cooks, or in this case emulsifies like olive oil would. It has all the health benefits of olive oil, but it is for the most part flavorless. I use it for everything now.
kaleforsale.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Perfect Recipe! Reply with quote

Bravo! My arm is about to fall off from whisking but the mayonnaise is perfect and delicious. Thank you for taking the fear and intimidation out of what will be a decadent addition to the local food on our table.
daltxguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Runny Mayonnaise Reply with quote

Quote:
I found last night that if the mayonnaise is too runny, heating it in the microwave in 30 second increments and restirring can thicken it up to a decent consistency. I am not sure if this results in a different-tasting product than if it goes completely perfect.

I wasn't quite satisfied with the consistency of my mayonnaise ie: not thick enough ( I used the whisk, slow drip method) and tried this suggestion to heat in the m-wave - the mayo became a disaster and now flows like the original oil. I wouldn't recommend it. I think the heat breaks the emulsion.

Is there such a thing as adding too slowly and whisking too much?
dr.luke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer my mayo to be less lemony than this recipe so I use 1 tbsp of lemon juice & 2 tbsp of vinegar (sometimes 1 of the tbsp of vinegar will be balsamic if I am using it for a recipe which can stand up to the stronger flavour). I used to use only vinegar but had read somewhere about the citric acid effect, also mentioned here on Feb 12, 2007. My own preference for oil is olive oil so I assume that those who prefer a "flavourless" oil are less accustomed to olive oil.

As far as separating, whenever this issue has presented itself I simply put the whole batch in a jar and put it in the refrigerator. Once it has chilled the (olive) oil will more easily emulsify, so even just shaking the jar will produce the desired effect for me. I doubt this would work with seed oil, including corn (a seed) oil, but works with olive oil.

I love this sight! The discussions are great. Everyone please remember that each person is intitled to a preference, and nobody can be "wrong" about something thy like! Smile
ccfrance

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: No taste difference...?! Yeah, right! Reply with quote

If you seriously believe homemade and store-bought mayo taste the same, then 1) you've never actually tried the homeade stuff, or 2) you have no taste buds and should stick to eating only highly processed foods in bright, shiny packages emblazoned with the Betty Crocker logo.

Thank you, that will be all.
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Mayo experiments Reply with quote

While I laughed at the recent entry from the person who sneered at our desire to get this right, I am glad to find kindred spirits who could help solve the mayo mystery for me. This challenge goes way back for me and is very nostalgic. My Grandma, bless her (stingy) soul, made her own mayonnaise and used a blender with a pint jar attachment (no drip hole, I wonder if she simply added all the ingredients and then screwed the blender top on and blended it?) I never saw her make it but she routinely pulled out a homemade batch from the frig when I came to visit. I've always wanted to do this in her memory. I've tried flax oil, once successfully, but not the next; and the costly results of trial and error have kept me from risking doing this routinely. However, the constant nagging question about the insufficient content of Omega 3 vs. excess content of Omega 6 kept me wondering how to do this successfully. Recently I purchased a pint jar of high Omega 3 mayonnaise, and the cost just about matched a quart jar of brand name regular mayo. So.... here I am trying it again.
I think that I read somewhere before this site that ingredient temperature is crucial, and I did not take time to bring the oil to room temp. I also dumped in all the lemon juice at once and in a cookbook reference, it said to add only half the acid in the beginning. So I split that volume and added another yolk to start over, reserving the acid portion until later. Another dilemma was that my large food processor bowl does not allow enough blending contact to get the oil into emulsion reliably, so I transferred it to the smaller food processor cylinder I have, but the problem there is that I don't have a drip hole. So I had to stop and start, removing the blender top each time, in order to drizzle in oil (I ran it down the side of the container to slow down introduction) never knowing if I had gone too quickly in the first place. Ultimately after messing around like this for 45 minutes, I tried putting in a shot of hot water as someone suggested on this site, to save an emulsion. During this whole process I had only a slightly thickened mixture, not completely liquid but not thick either. Finally my husband said that I shouldn't worry because we would use it no matter what... so just be patient and accept whatever we got! Armed with that encouragement, I decided to add the rest of the original yolk and lemon mixture in addition to the 2-3T of hot water I had added. I think I had added 1 1/2 cups of oil before I finally achieved a thickened and emulsified product. Once I actually got it to thicken, I decided to refrigerate it and see if that tightened it up any. It appears to be stable or a little thicker. The oil I used was "Smart Balance" Omega which contains 1140mg Omega 3's and 4600mg Omega 6 per Tablespoon (4:1 ratio) from Canola, Soybean and Olive oils. In the future for a premium nutritional product, I will try a combination of grapeseed, which is light and flavorless and raises HDL cholesterol, with extra virgin olive oil, and flax. I will also try my stick blender in a mason jar. FYI if you think you might be using the mayonnaise for grilling purposes (just saw a yummy recipe for dressing shrimp with a mayo/apricot glaze) I would recommend grapeseed oil for it's very high temperature smoke point. Happy New Year everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: "Fixing" separated or runny mayo Reply with quote

I don't think this method for "fixing" mayo has been mentioned yet.
First, other than making sure all your ingredients are at room temperature, the culprit for messed up mayo is almost always adding the oil too quickly (especially in the beginning). I'm not a patient person, so I kept messing this up even though I *thought* I was adding oil incredibly slowly. You really do have to add it practically one drop at a time until you have at least 1/4-1/3 cup of oil emulsified.

But you don't have to toss the messed up stuff. Simply start a new bowl with one more egg yolk and start dripping in the messed up mayo in the same manner as you would the oil (except more slowly this time!) until you've added emulsified the messed up ingredients completely back into the new yolk. Then continue adding oil if more oil is needed. This works like a charm (as long as you do it slowly!).

I sincerely doubt that heating the emulsified mayo would give you the proper result. It might thicken, but the texture would be all wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Mayo Reply with quote

I didn't know it was so simple. I made a half recipe just to see if it work. I started with a whisk but switched to an egg beater when I was sure I had an emulsion. The result was very acceptable but not as thick as a commercial product. I am wondering if substituting the lemon juice with a pinch of Cream of Tartar would work. This would keep the pH on he acid side and reduce the non oil liquids to the egg yolk.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother was using a blender to make the mayonaise but was looking for a way to have easier cleanup. I discovered a Bamix (check on the web if you're not familiar with it) works like a miracle! All the ingredients are put in a straight sided jar (I use a pint peanut butter jar) yes, including the oil!! Then the bamix is set down on the bottom, turned on and brought up, voila you have mayonaise! ( You may need to work the Bamix up and down and around a little) And it's in a jar ready to put in the fridge! I don't mind making it anymore!
dotmachuston

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: homemade mayonnaise Reply with quote

can commercial preparations of egg substitute be used to make homemade mayo? My problem is family allergies- to eggs and several other foods. I would like to make some decent dressings; all of the commercial dressings I have found contain things like eggs, corn syrup, wheat starch, etc. all of which my grandchild can't eat. Has anyone tried to make mayo with any nnon egg product?
Mildred

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: It really woks - thanks! Reply with quote

All the information here has been invaluable, thank you!

I made my mayonnaise today using BobH method (via the comments above on January 27, 2007) utilising my Dualit hand blender. I used 2 egg yolks instead of one whole egg (I needed some egg whites for my Blueberry Friands!). It has produced the best (and quickest) mayo I have ever made - thanks very much!!
PJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Need Mayo! No Canola! No mustard! Reply with quote

I truly had no unearthly idea that reading about mayo could be so entertaining! I was searching for a recipe given a need to find mayo without canola or soybean oil. My husband recently suffered heart failure and must now take mega doses of blood thinner. He now has MANY doetary changes to cope with along with all else. He, therefore, needs to stay away from ingredients with Vitamin K (canola & soy products of course have signififant amounts of Vit K). Mayo has alwasy been a regular "base" ingredient for him...
I 1st went to my trusty "Joy of Cooking"...but was very disappointed with the taste of the fruits of my labor. I have no trouble getting oil fully integrated, but the yellow color and taste was not appealing. I will try recipe above IAW all of the great recommendations/warnings all have submitted!
laurigolub@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: help Reply with quote

i tried making mayo my self -- basically the same recipe as yours and got very sick . do you have any problems with raw egg and how do you aviod this problem? thanks, lauri
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lauri -

salmonella is the most common (but not only) issue with uncooked egg product.

check your local markets for pasteurized fresh eggs - using the in-the-shell pasteurized variety should dramatically reduce the risk of salmonella in your homemade mayo.

do observe the requirements for refrigerated storage, etc. - you can not just leave it sitting at room temps at a picnic for all day . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: