Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Homemade Mayonnaise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
*morningstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That homemade mayo looks so delicious and creamy. That would be delicious to make mayo from scratch and them turn it into something like egg salad. I have to give this a try.
Florence Lim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: homemade mayo Reply with quote

I wanted to make some mayo for my salad and never knew it was so easy. Loved all the entires. Big smile
miketh

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: not sure what happened Reply with quote

I tried this recipe, with the exception that I didn't remove the egg whites.

It ended up a runny liquid, but the oil did not appear separated. The resulting liquid was a consistent yellow color throughout, no oil sitting at the top or anything, but it never got thick or creamy, just a liquid. Is it because I kept the whites in? I kept everything else in the recipe the same.
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: It works! Reply with quote

The wand blender in the narrow jar, with everything added at once ( I used a mason jar) method works beautifully! So easy-thanks!
kefir-girl

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Creamy mayo with Kefir Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to add kefir to the mayo and would the kefir help with the worry about salmonella because of the probiotics in it?

A week or so ago was the first time I made mayo because I ran out, as well, and needed to finish up the tuna salad I'd started. I didn't know anything about how to add the oil, but I put the eggs in the blender, slowly added oil and then the mustard powder, salt, pepper and agave. It was wonderful.

thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: re: salmonella Reply with quote

eggs have very very low incidence of salmonella. VERY low. EXTREMELY low. in fact i eat raw eggs, 2 at a time, in a smoothie every morning. raw eggs are not dangerous.

a test you could perform is break an egg into a small bowl.. if the yolk breaks then you could discard the egg (save it for cooking later, don't waste it). also, if the egg smells then it's no good. usually eggs are really good for being clean. i haven't come across an infected egg yet!

michael, i think your site is really fun. i'm gonna try the mayonnaise recipe now with first-cold pressed sunflower oil, as it's not refined (like light olive oil is). i've tried a different recipe with olive oil but i used extra virgin so it was really olivey tasting. thanks for taking pictures too, it's a very effective way to get people to do a recipe. i also like how you explain the emulsion thing and lecithin, as that kind of stuff really interests me.

see ya!

- t (my name is tina, too lol)
lorri457

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The immersion wisk method is the best way to make mayo. I make it in regular 1 qt canning jars. Also I like to add food coloring to make mayo for my kids. I found a site that shows how to make Gourmet Mayo. But they charge $6 for the method. It's MakeBlueMayo.com.
Trying New Stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Mayo too sour Reply with quote

I made this mayo as described in the article above. While I was thrilled that it turned out, it is too sour for me. It has too much of the lemon taste. Is there a way to "fix" what I have made, or do I need to start over?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: not sure what happened Reply with quote

miketh wrote:
I tried this recipe, with the exception that I didn't remove the egg whites.

It ended up a runny liquid, but the oil did not appear separated. The resulting liquid was a consistent yellow color throughout, no oil sitting at the top or anything, but it never got thick or creamy, just a liquid. Is it because I kept the whites in? I kept everything else in the recipe the same.

Yes, I think leaving the whites in adds too much liquid. It thickens up when you only use the yolks.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mayo too sour Reply with quote

Trying New Stuff wrote:
I made this mayo as described in the article above. While I was thrilled that it turned out, it is too sour for me. It has too much of the lemon taste. Is there a way to "fix" what I have made, or do I need to start over?

Sometimes lemon juice is too acidic. You can dampen this by adding a little water. To do this, double the recipe using water instead of lemon juice (double the egg yolk and the oil and use the same amount of water as lemon juice you used earlier). To incorporate it into an existing batch, whisk the egg in first, followed by drops of the water until that is incorporated. Then drizzle in oil while beating to keep the whole thing in emulsion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Scientific American Reply with quote

Some 20 years ago there was an article in Scientific American about mayonnaise. Well, actually, there were a few articles - one about Baked Alaska, which is simple to make. Another one about Frozen Sahara - an ice-cream bombe filled with fruit in a sugar syrup which you microwave at the last minute; the microwaves heat the sugar syrup in the centre but don't have enough time to melt the ice cream.

Anyway, back to Mayo: SciAm posited that it was possible to make a portion of Egg Mayonnaise with just one egg, and here's how:

Heat the egg to 67C/152F which is hot enough to destroy salmonella, and to coagulate egg white (144-149F) but not to fully coagulate egg yolk (149-158F). Use a hypodermic syringe to extract 1ml of egg yolk, raise the temperature and continue to cook the egg until hardboiled. Use the 1ml egg yolk to make a tablespoon of mayonnaise and serve.

The article was partly written by the late Professor of Physics Nicholas Kurti of the University of Oxford. He had an abiding interest in food and cooking and was a collaborator with Herve This, the first person to be awarded a PhD in Molecular Gastronomy. He also co-presented a cookery programme with Raymond Blanc on BBC.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: What's wrong? Reply with quote

My husband attempted to make this twice and both times the same thing happened. It got so thick (almost looked crumbly) that the blender was laboring before even half the amount of oil was added. He continued to add the rest of the oil slowly and it turned runny. What did he do wrong?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: What's wrong? Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
It got so thick (almost looked crumbly) that the blender was laboring before even half the amount of oil was added. He continued to add the rest of the oil slowly and it turned runny. What did he do wrong?

I'm not sure what went wrong. Maybe a few details about the ingredients will help shed some light - what type and size eggs did your husband use? Since we're using just the yolks, if your yolks are smaller or larger than average then that might be a clue... Also, you may want to try this without a blender - it is possible that the blender is over-blending the ingredients.
J

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Runny Mayonnaise Reply with quote

I found last night that if the mayonnaise is too runny, heating it in the microwave in 30 second increments and restirring can thicken it up to a decent consistency. I am not sure if this results in a different-tasting product than if it goes completely perfect.
princessmaria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: gracias Reply with quote

Hey there! That was incredible..i have never read something this simple in my life. you are an amazing person and i would just like to thank you for your time and energy in writing this unforgetable article that has forever changed my life.

gracias,
Maria
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: