Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Homemade Mayonnaise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Someone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Kill Salmonella ? Reply with quote

Please help me a bit with this.

There is plenty of Salmonella in the country where I live. I do not have a kitchen thermometer and have not been able to find one at the local stores. Si I cannot measure the exact temperature needed to kill Salmonella.

But in my country I can go to the pharmacy and buy about anything.

So may question is, in order to kill Salmonella, would it be Ok to add a pinch of anti-biotic powder to egg before mixing with oil ? (something like amoxicillin ?).

What anti-biotic would work better ? Penicillin family, erithomycin, tetracyclin, terramycin, wide-spectrum anti-biotic, or a combination of them ? How about dosage ?

Do I need to take a sample of the egg-yolk and take it to a lab to grow a culture and determine the most effective anti-biotic ?

Should I consult a human doctor about this? or a veterinarian?

How about a few drops of chlorine ( bleach ).

Would it help to add some iodine solution ? -the coloring of the iodine would match the egg yolk ! -.

How about a quick burst of unscented Lysol spray; does Lysol kill Salmonella ?

I hope you can help me, I really want to try the home-made mayonnaise.

Thank you so much
Someone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Kill Samonella ( continued ) Reply with quote

Hi, I just posted a message about options to kill Salmonella, and I was thinking I have a few more ideas, but I need some help on those.

Please tell me if any of these would be ok, as far as you know.

A friend of mine works at an X-Ray lab, so I have access to it.
Do you think submitting the egg-yolk to a 3 minute, full-blast, X-Ray exposure would kill all Salmonella in the egg? Should I X-Ray the entire egg or just the egg-yolk ?

Do you think the egg would become radio-active due to the 3 minute exposure ? what are the risks ?

Also, about a 1/4 mile from home, there is a high-power cell-phone transmitter antenna. Would it be a better choice to hold the egg near the microwave transmitter antenna ? Is Salmonella resistant to cell-phone frequencies ?

As another option, how about running 220 volts throw the egg-yolk for a couple of seconds, would that zap the Salmonella ?

Please help !, I really want to try this recipee !!!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What country do you live in where you can have access to all these chemicals and equipment, but cannot procure a thermometer capable of measuring temperatures at and slightly above 130°F (55°C)? Once you have a thermometer, it's pretty easy. Find someway to maintain a water bath at or above 135°F (57°C) and hold the eggs there for an hour and a half. They will be pasteurized, but not cooked. The whites will be slightly cloudy, but this should not affect their ability to be used in recipes calling for raw eggs.
Someone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Yes, I know ! Reply with quote

I know what you mean ! It is amazing I cannot find a kitchen themometer around here.

I asked my friend about the X-Ray equipment, and he told me it is very old equipment, like from the 50's. And they bought it very cheap many years ago, because it is now illegal to use that equipment in the US ( outdated ). So they bought it at bargain price (he tells me it still works like a charm most of the time). About the cell phones, mine looks like a brick, huge, with a long antenna comming out of it. It looks like a large Walkie Talkie from WW-II. I carry it in my back-pack, because too large for my pockets. About medications, we usually get them at dirt cheap prices here, or free, because the expiration date is close by, or passed recently, so we get bargain prices. Many countries are very kind to donate these surplus medications to us, so we are very lucky, because we cannot afford expensive medications.

Anyways, I took the egg to my friend, and X-Rayed it for a few minutes, at full intensity. After that I brought it home and tried the recipee. I had to use the hand-stirring-method, because there was an electricity blackout at that moment, so I could not use the electrical-motor-driven-stirring-device I had made from spare parts a year ago ( I am thinking about replacing the electrical motor with a small diesel motor).

So I beat and beat and beat the yolk with the oil ( poured it really slow ) and it worked like a charm ! Tastes great ! I use fresh coconut oil mixed with cottonseed-oil, and wild chicken egg. It came out delicious. I prepared a sandwich right away. Tastes great with thinly sliced "iguana" meat cooked over direct wood fire.

Then I discovered a weird thing. After I put off the candle I was using to illuminate the kitchen, I saw the mayonaise jar glowing in the dark !!!

It was amazing, the pale blueish glow coming out of the mayonaise ! Astonishing. Probably the egg yolk got to be radio-active from so much X-Ray. Now I probably have the only Glow-In-The-Dark mayonaise recipee !.

I am glad I only used about 2 tablespoons out of it. (maybe my hair will glow for a few days now !).

I will dispose of this mayonaise, and try again with a shorter period of X-Ray exposure, or maybe go the antibiotic route (although the taste will not be as good).

Anyways, the recipee is excellent. I highly recommend it to anyone.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly advise against the use of x-rays or antibiotics to treat your eggs. Unfortunately, I have no alternatives to present to you (except for the heat pasteurization method) at this time.
Someone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I agree with you ! I tried the antibiotic route, and it tastes horrible.

The X-Ray thing sounds dangerous stuff to eat.

So I am going to wait until I get the thermometer. ( I made some calls, and maybe at a medical supply house I can find something similar. They have some lab-thermometers that I think will be good for this. They sell them to measure temperature of liquids on beaker solutions ).

Thank you so much !
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: I agree Reply with quote

Someone wrote:
So I am going to wait until I get the thermometer. ( I made some calls, and maybe at a medical supply house I can find something similar. They have some lab-thermometers that I think will be good for this. They sell them to measure temperature of liquids on beaker solutions ).

So, I can't help continue to be curious, but what country are you in?
jeffobitz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: mayo Reply with quote

I regularly use Spectrum Naturals Organic Mayo. Everything on the ingredient list seems to be natural with no preservatives. How come this keeps in the fridge for a long time and your homemade stuff will not? Thanks, Jeff
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff -

how "long" something "keeps" is related to how "sterile" it is - sterile meaning lacking in any kinds/sorts of unwanted bacterial or fungal elements. "pathogens" - some more bad than others - do not "cease" growing at refrigerator temperatures - they just "slow down" - some more dramatically slow down than others.

a commercially prepared concoction is generally made of individual components that are individually or collectively "made sterile" - in the case of mayo the biggie is the eggs.

commercially they are pasteurized with a high degree of process control to ensure all the "bad bugs" are dead. hard to replicate in the home kitchen. note there is nothing "non-organic" about the pasteurization process - so that's not something that's going to "appear in print" on a label.

once opened, any commercial preparation is subject to "contamination" - airborne or otherwise.

the major distinction is in a home prep using 'off the shelf' eggs it the difficulty to ensure any and all nasties are killed prior to 'storage' additionally commercial preps may include stuff to serve as 'stabilizers' - organic / not organic / natural or not.

the 'use soon' advice for home-prepped mayo is due to this uncertainty - if you can conclusively assure yourself that every single ingredient and implement / container used in the home prep scenario is perfectly sterile, shelf life should be essentially equal.

in the home kitchen it's tough to ascertain "everything in sight" is "100%" sterile. commercial outfits go to some lengths to ensure that everything is.

and the entire situation is complicated by the fact that the human body is capable of "taking care of business" when it comes to a few nasty pathogens. for example e-coli and salmonella are endemic - the bugs exist almost everywhere on almost anything. if one ingests 10 e-coli cells, the human body can deal with that and one is likely to never notice it. however, if a foodstuff is improperly stored, hugely contaminated, improperly prepared / etc / etc - then yes indeed the bad bugs replicate and overwhelm the human body's ability to 'defend' against them. you've probably seen the warnings: the young, the elderly, the compromised individuals.... the explanation is very simple: those individual do not have an adequate natural ability to deal with an overwhelming "infestation" of bad bugs.

and this whole situation is again no defense where companies go rogue - to wit the recent egg contamination thing or the earlier peanut contamination. those companies / suppliers with intent or oversight violated all the expected norms.
Interested Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
Quote:
So, I can't help continue to be curious, but what country are you in?

Obviously somewhere that has internet access, so somewhere that has the access to buy a thermometer. Or somewhere that has the ability to measure one gallon of boiling water and one half gallon of room temperature water and mix them together and float a small bowl in it with an egg. If room temp is 50 deg, you would have 158 deg F water bath, and 80 deg you would have 168 deg F water bath. Even skipping the step altogether and washing the exterior of the egg in a 10% bleach solution prior to cracking would be advisable over eating the result of radiating the egg and having glowing mayo. I think he/she is pulling your/our leg.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested Guest wrote:
I think he/she is pulling your/our leg.

I thought the same, but it was fun, wasn't it?
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apropos of almost nothing, it seem to me I read that a person's adult teeth will flouresce under UV light if they've been exposed to tetracycline as a child.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Cooley wrote:
Apropos of almost nothing, it seem to me I read that a person's adult teeth will flouresce under UV light if they've been exposed to tetracycline as a child.

I believe some types of whitening agents used in toothpastes or teeth whitening pastes can also cause teeth to fluoresce.
dl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: egg mayonnaise Reply with quote

Hi

When I make mayonnaise, I use only 45 ml oil per egg yolk. That's much lesser than most recipes, including yours here which uses 120 ml per egg yolk. Should I add more oil? I do get what looks and tastes like a mayo though.

Thanks very much!
drchristopher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Amount of lecithin if not using egg yokes? Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me how much liquid lecithin I should use in making homemade mayonnaise per 1 cup (236.6 ml) of oil if I use no egg yokes?

Maybe, I am unlucky, but I have spent 4 hours on the internet and have found no answer with google-ing vegan mayo recipes, dozen of homemade mayo recipes, lecithin manufacture's websites and, of course, simply searching for how much lecithin needed when not using eggs in any kind of recipe, etc, etc, etc. I have even called a couple of liquid lecithin suppliers.

Sad

I have found info on how much liquid lecithin to use when making salad dressing, but I figured I would try here in the hopes that someone out there may have so practical experience. I will gratefully take any input founded on your research even if you have no hands-on experience.

Thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: