Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Homemade Mayonnaise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>So, is there?

perhaps . . . see

http://www.bioline.dk/index.html
Mayo Head

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Olive oil Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't use Extra Virgin Olive Oil. For two reasons:
1. The flavor is hideous.
2. It does not mix well at all.

If the Mayo you are trying for is a neutral cream without a strong flavor then Extra Virgin Olive Oil is not a wise choice. However, if you want a flavorful Mayonnaise with a distinct flavor that lends itself to poultry and garlic then Olive oil is what you are looking for.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil has the strongest taste so try different grades of Olive oil until you find the oil you prefer. As for me and my house, 'Bring on the Virgins!'...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: mayonnaise recipe Reply with quote

[/b] Big smile
I used my Wolfgang Puck Immersion Blender to make this mayonnaise. It was so easy. I used the tall beaker cup that came with the blender and put in the eggs, vinegar (instead of lemon juice), seasonings and then the oil. I pushed the blender wand down to the bottom, turned it on, pulled it up slowly and had soft, peaked, creamy, flavorful mayonnaise in 10 seconds! So easy! So wonderful! So tasty! I will be doing this again!
SERGE

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: MAYONNAISE Reply with quote

I SEE HERE THAT EGG YOLK IS WHAT SHOULD BE USED. I MADE MAYO WITH EGG WHITES AND NO YOLK. IT WAS STIFF BUT HAD I GOOD FLAVOR, ALSO USED EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL: THIS BECAUSE IT WAS TO BE SERVED TO FRIENDS WITH COLESTEROL PROBLEMS, AH AND FORGOT TO ADD ANY LIQUID! IT WASN'T LIKE THE MAYOS I'M USED TO, BUT WAS JUST FINE.
Jeri Meyer

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Mayonaise Health issues. Reply with quote

I was looking for a Mayo that didn't have Soy Oil or Canola Oil. I want to comment on the People who are using Canola Oil & or Soy Oil. If you research it on the internet you will find out how it is not for human consumption. Olive Oil comes from Olives, Peanut Oil from Peanuts, etc. etc. Canola Oil comes from Rap Seed and got it name from Canada, naming it Canola Oil. They paid F.D.A. $50 million to approve it. If you care about your health you will research them both up on Google.
BillBerlin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Mayo in the KitchenAid Reply with quote

I just used Julia Child's recipe for Mayo in the food processor from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume I (1 whole egg, 2 egg yolks, dry mustard, salt, 2 cups oil). I don't have a food processor, but I just got a KitchenAid mixer (in Germany, that's an investment!) and used the whisk attachment to make the mayo. Turned out wonderfully.
Organic eggs, which theoretically, it seems, reduce the salmonella risk, are readily available here (even at Aldi!). I used them because that is all I ever buy (both for the sake of the hens and for the farmers.)
I have an immersion mixer, but wanted to use break in my KitchenAid (I previously had one in the US, and have grieved the loss in a divorce...still best friends with my ex, though...)
Personally, I think the hype about salmonella in eggs is overdone, especially with quality eggs. We can't eliminate every risk in life. However, I do not serve uncooked eggs, or any salmonella source, to HIV+ (or other immuno-comprimised) friends.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill -

"organic or not" really doesn't enter the picture in terms of salmonella risk.

salmonella is endemic by geographic region. in the USA, the major risk _was_ cracked eggs - where salmonella could enter the egg and breed prolifically. USDA washing/sanitizing regulations (apply only to large producers.....) have dramatically reduced the external induced infection risk.

the other vector is "internal" - an infected hen can lay an un-infected egg on day x and an infected egg on day y. as best I can gather, nobody can explain why. the egg may be 'infected' with salmonella from the point it leaves the ovaries.

the 'organic' label is fine, but it is not of any assurance that an egg is salmonella free.

oh, I'm in the organic camp, but I live in reality . . . just for info.
Lia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Homemade Mayo - be safe with fermentation Reply with quote

I've enjoyed the comments and info that 'you' have shared.

I adore my homemade mayo and am anxious to try the stick blender. Up to now I have been using my food processor. And now I am wanting to try the true yolk only mayo too. If it has the richness of hollandaise it will be heaven!

I follow Sally Falon's Nourishing Traditions as well. But I add fermented dill pickle juice with the vinegar (I prefer raw coconut vinegar-flavor is not as sharp as raw apple cider vinegar) for my savory mayos. I fermented the pickles following Sally's book, too. I add whey in my mayos used for waldorf salads and less savory applications.

The use of whey and fermented pickle juice is yet another way to get healthy food source probiotics into our diets & families, not to mention the longer storage option; altho I have yet to have homemade mayo last for more than a week.

Don't you think that commercial mayos have a "dead" taste after making fresh? Not that I would touch soy; who can afford the soy free mayos that actually have eggs in them?! I'll stick with the real McCoy and make it myself!

Happy Blending! Smile
Antilope

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Homemade Best Foods/Hellmanns Mayonnaise using stick blender Reply with quote

Here's what I always make, but I like Best Foods mayonnaise, so that's the flavor I aim for.

Homemade Best Foods/Hellmanns Mayonnaise using stick blender

1 whole egg, medium or large size
1 Tablespoon lemon juice (bottled ok)
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard (or 1/4 tsp prepared yellow mustard)
1/4 teaspoon table salt
dash white pepper
1 cup vegetable (canola) oil, room temperature

Break egg into bottom of 1-quart
canning jar or other tall narrow jar
that allows you to immerse the mixing blades of a stick blender
all the way to the bottom. The jar should be only slightly
wider than the end of the stick blender.

Add lemon juice, vinegar, mustard,
table salt and white pepper.

Add 1 cup of vegetable oil.

Place mixing blades of stick blender (turned off) all the
way to the bottom of the jar, pressing
down over the egg.

Turn stick blender on high speed, hold in
place at bottom of jar for about
5-seconds until you see mayonnaise form
under stick blender's mixing blades.

Slowly pull stick blender upward until the mixing blades
reaches top of jar, taking about
more 5-seconds. The stick blender will turn
the oil into mayonnaise as it is pulled slowly to the
top of the jar.

After chilling in the fridge, this mayonnaise gets
slightly thicker and tastes very much like Best Foods/
Hellmann's Mayonnaise.

Makes about 1 cup of mayonnaise.
68dooper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: mayonnaise Reply with quote

After I make homemade mayo, how do I preserve it unrefrigerated? (Like commercial mayo) How do the commercial manufacturers preserve mayo in jars? I would like to know how to can homemade mayo in mason jars.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canning homemade mayo is not in the recommended book.

commercially it's 'sterilized' through pasteurization but one is unlikely to have that degree of process control in the home kitchen.
Miff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: HELP...mayonaise Reply with quote

I have tried all of the methods and I get a good emulsion BUT, after refrigerating it it turns rock hard, then when I let stand on the counter the emulsion breaks. How do I keep it from turning hard like clay in the refrigerator?
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP...mayonaise Reply with quote

Miff wrote:
I have tried all of the methods and I get a good emulsion BUT, after refrigerating it it turns rock hard, then when I let stand on the counter the emulsion breaks. How do I keep it from turning hard like clay in the refrigerator?

What kind of oil are you using? Sounds like it's solidifying at the low temps in the fridge.
Umbagog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Runny mayo Reply with quote

I've made mayonnaise about twelve times. It has turned runny on me about three times. I think it turned runny because I added too much oil. This last time, runny, I had decided to make my own mayo from now on because I don't want to ingest genetically modified stuff, if possible. I used coconut oil and olive oil, and it turned out runny, and I was determined to save all that oil if at all possible. I put the mixture in the refrigerator while I concocted a plan, i.e. should I try it in a blender with a "shot of hot water". Well, to make a long story short, the mixture hardened--coconut oil!--in the fridge and I am able to use it as a spread as is. Next time I'll use less oil.
merginglight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Homemade Mayo Reply with quote

The first time I made home mayo I used extra virgin olive oil and talk about awful! Thankfully I only used one egg so not to waste them because I threw the awful stuff out.
I've used vegi, canola and peanut oils. Today is my fourth attempt and it failed because I decided to add a half cup more oil then the recipe calls for. I've never added more like that, but wanted more mayo for my money and so when I exceeded the limit of oil that the eggs could hold, the whole mess just turned to a saucy, oily mess. I won't do that again, but it was an interesting lesson. When I kept adding and adding the oil, the mayo got so stiff that I could hardly work it, yet because I've never had the experience, I just kept going with the oil. In my mind I thought that it was the white vinegar I used, because I had always used my home made apple cider vinegar before and this was the first time for using white store bought vinegar. Once it de-emulsified I realized what had happened. I could have probably fixed it per the directions in our fanny farmer cookbook, but instead just threw it out and started again and it turned out beautiful.
I like to add way too much cayenne pepper and dry mustard and I add lots of powdered garlic, also, I grow my own chives and so I add some of those as well. I just love home made mayo Smile Today, I made a four egg batch, then a two egg batch. The four egg batch made enough to fill a mason jar for sandwhich making, and the two egg batch went towards making buttermilk ranch dressing and spinach dip. I'm real big on doing home made stuff because i'm turned off by all the preservatives in store bought stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: