Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Cheesecake, Plain New York Style
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjprice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: over browning Reply with quote

While baking the cake in the first stage (10 minutes at 500) it had a couple of small very brown spots rise up, like it was burning. I thought this temperature might be too high but continued. After 10 minutes, I reduced to 225 for 1 hour and removed to find a large crack in middle of cake. After cooling I cut off the dark spots (and wanted to cut off the crack but didn't), Should I have lowered my oven rack to keep the top from over browning? Thanks for the suggestions on cracking. Judy
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: over browning Reply with quote

tjprice wrote:
While baking the cake in the first stage (10 minutes at 500) it had a couple of small very brown spots rise up, like it was burning. I thought this temperature might be too high but continued. After 10 minutes, I reduced to 225 for 1 hour and removed to find a large crack in middle of cake. After cooling I cut off the dark spots (and wanted to cut off the crack but didn't), Should I have lowered my oven rack to keep the top from over browning? Thanks for the suggestions on cracking. Judy

A brown "skin" at the top of your cheesecake is actually a desired appearance for New York-style Cheesecake. It sounds like your oven is still too hot though because your cake cracked. Either lower your temperature a but more (try 200°F) or remove the cake earlier from the oven before it gets a chance to over cook.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read/heard somewhere that using a waterbath will prevent the cheesecake from cracking? So why not use it? I tried this recipe without the waterbath and the cake cracked but the texture was perfect so I don't think it's my oven.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I read/heard somewhere that using a waterbath will prevent the cheesecake from cracking? So why not use it? I tried this recipe without the waterbath and the cake cracked but the texture was perfect so I don't think it's my oven.

A water bath does cook a cheesecake more gently and provides a larger window where pulling it out of the oven will result in a non crack cheesecake, but then the cheesecake wouldn't be New York style. New York style cheesecakes do not employ water baths. I have to get around to making more types of cheesecake, so my readers will have more versions to choose from.
rayne83

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Crust Reply with quote

I've tried making the cheesecake several times and they've all turned out pretty okay... But my crust always turns out crumbly and falls to pieces when I cut the cake. Could it be because I didn't crush the biscuits thoroughly? I use digestives, put then in a bag and hammer away at it... Can anyone help?

Oh... and to Stacey [August 15th], for a fluffy-type cheesecake, you use a lot less cream cheese (about 200gm or 1 tub of Philly's) and yes, you do beat the egg whites... There should be some recipes on the Net that can be of help. ^_^

Michelle
sarahwoo

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: re: cream cheese in France Reply with quote

I have made quite a few American cheesecakes in France - I always use a combination of Ricotta, Saint Moret, and Mascarpone. Sometimes the grocery store is out of one of the three and it hasn't seemed to make a difference when I just use one or two. Now, my cheesecakes have all cracked so far but they have tasted great. (I have one in the over right now actually...there is the timer!)

I use Petite Beurre for the crust...
Kyungabu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: I love the tables. Very helpful. Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. I would recommend going easy on the heavy cream because it was still quite creamy and delicious with less than 1/3 cup of it... and I think it helps maintain stability of the final product if you reduce the amount of cream Smile
john H

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: cheesecake recipe Reply with quote

in the beginning of the recipe you stated the ratios of the ingredients determine dense or fluffy and sweet or tangy.
A guest, Stacy, asked on Aug 15, 2005, what ratios would make it more fluffy. I saw no reply.
I have been trying to figure out how to make it less fluffy, very creamy, yet firm enough to cut and stay on a fork.
Pickles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the individual who asked about the low fat/diet cheese cake..
Well, I sorta know why your question has been ignored.

I have tryed a few "lower fat" cheese cakes in the past (cooked by me and prefessional chefs) and I can tell you, the best you will get is a dense, tastless, dry cardboard texture and it aint nice!

The best you can do is have a smaller serving or just let your self splurge and have a nice scoop of home made white chocolate ice cream a strawberry compot and a big slice of cheese cake!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: mmm Reply with quote

i just want to say that i tried the recipe, absolutely amazing. it seems so obvious to me now that i know it, but i have been trying to figure out how to get the texture so light and fluffy for years without any luck. thanks for posting it!
Souplad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Smoking Oven Reply with quote

I have tried preheat n bake at 500F. I have a smoking oven! Is that okay?

Gradually decrease from 500F to 200F?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Smoking Oven Reply with quote

Souplad wrote:
I have tried preheat n bake at 500F. I have a smoking oven! Is that okay?

No, a smoking oven is probably not a good thing. It sounds like you either need to clean the oven (use the self cleaning option if you have it; if not, do it manually) or get it checked out. Most likely it's a cleaning issue - the smoke is from food particles or ingredients that have fallen into the oven from previous baking endevours. As increase in temperature, they start to burn, giving off the smoke.
souplad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Smoking Oven Reply with quote

Thnx for the prompt reply.

I was wondering whether the smoke could have been a result of the oven temp surpasses the smoke point of the butter used in the cheesecake.

And yes, you are correct, my oven needs a major neat scrub.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Smoking Oven Reply with quote

souplad wrote:
I was wondering whether the smoke could have been a result of the oven temp surpasses the smoke point of the butter used in the cheesecake.

That is unlikely unless you baked the cheesecake for a whole day. The temperature your butter (in the batter) is at when you slide it into the oven is probably a bit less than room temperature - say 65-70 degrees F. By the time you remove it, it'll only have reached 150 degrees. Far lower than the smoking point. What is causing the smoke, is any other material that may be in your oven. Since this material is fairly small, it heats up quickly as the oven heats up and then begins to smoke and burn.
Darklyndsea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the cheesecake and it was great, even though it was my first cheesecake, our oven's temperature is inaccurate, and I have no thermometers. Supposedly it is better than my mom's, and the cat begged for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 5 of 22

Jump to: