Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Cheesecake, Plain New York Style
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: re: cream cheese in France Reply with quote

double-crème?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Cake Reply with quote

I know this sounds like a contradiction, but how can I make a low fat version of this recipe? In the past substtutions resulted in lightly colored cardboard delight. What would be suggested substitutions?
Ben Brockert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this recipe using a handheld mixer that I bought for this recipe. It took some muscle to control it (and I'm not a small guy), even with the cream cheese at room temp, and there was an issue of throwing globs out of the bowl. I really don't think it would be possible to complete the recipe without a mixer, unless you want to spend hours and hours with a spoon. And likely a couple days of sore muscles afterward.

To remove the entrained air after mixing it, I thumped the (plastic) bowl on the counter a number of times, and let it sit for a while before pouring it into the pan. There were a few small imperfections on the finished cheesecake after baking it, where a few small bubbles rose to the surface and popped. They could have been eliminated by letting it sit for longer. There was no problem with cracking.

It was quite brown on the surface when I took it out of the oven, something I wasn't prepared for with your photos. But the texture and flavor were perfect, so I assume that's how it's supposed to be. I expected a more "golden" brown.

Everyone loved the cheesecake who tried it. Next year I'll be making two, so that I can take one to the extended family gathering.
Jörg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Crushing Graham Crackers Reply with quote

For those who don't have a food processor, I'd recommend crushing the graham crackers by placing them in a large mixing bowl (stainless steel has yielded good results for me) and using the bottom of a heavy glass (such as a pint glass) to crush them, mortar and pestle style. I have found this far easier and simple than putting them in a plastic bag and beating them with a rolling pin.

This also minimizes waste. You're going to need that mixing bowl anyway, to add the sugar and butter. This way, there's no wasted bag and no dirtied food processor bowl/blade. And you can reuse the glass when it comes time to press the crumbs into the pan.

Hopefully it's not necessary to say this, but don't put all your weight onto the glass. You're just crushing graham crackers. You don't need too much force, and no one wants to break a glass (possibly casuing injury). You'd have to press pretty hard to break a pint glass that way, but it is possible. So basically, don't be stupid.
Jörg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: cream cheese in france ? Reply with quote

el wrote:
hello,
i would love to try your receipe of the New york style cheese cake but i live in france and don't know what would be equivalent to cream cheese ? Would ricotta be ok ? I read a receipe that mentionned neufchatel but find it very surprising...
thank you, el.

Can you not get cream cheese in France? In Germany it's available. Italy, too, apparently, though the Italians I knew referred to it by the brand name "Philadelphia" and had no clue what I was talking about when I said "cream cheese". Perhaps it's the same in France? Perhaps you can get "Philadelphia" cheese, but it's just not called cream cheese?

But from what I've read, yes, neufchâtel is an acceptable substitute, but it's less moist and lower-fat. Maybe you might want to add a bit of extra cream (and use a bit less cheese) if you make this substitution. According to this page, cheesecakes made with neufchâtel cook faster and are more prone to cracking, so keep a close eye on it.
foodscigeek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Cracking Reply with quote

I make a lot of cheesecakes. I'm quite famous for them and I almost never have cracking on the surface. One tip I picked up somewhere, is that you should bring all your ingredients to room temperature before blending including your eggs. Also, minimize the beating once you get to adding the eggs. And finally, after turning off the oven and running a knife around the edge of you pan, you can actually return your cheesecake to the oven for a couple of hours. I know this doesn't seem like the best practice from a microbiological standpoint, but no one's ever gotten sick from my cheesecakes (except the lactose intolerant who eat it anyway).

I am going to try this recipe to see about the texture especially. I tend to make flavored cheesecakes which are usually quite dense, and use a lower egg/creamcheese ratio.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Dense or Fluffy - that is the question Reply with quote

I would direct you to here: http://www.recipecenter.com/Recipe.asp?code=43870
Cami

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: a question for the oven Reply with quote

Hi there Micheal, I am going to make this recipe for the first time and Ihave a question concerning my oven. Firstly I live in New Mexico where the wheather is very dry, even in winter time. I recently purchased a gas oven and have been having an issue with undercooking my food, especialy baked goods such as cakes. Do you have any reccomendations? Is it a simple matter of cooking the recipes longer? Or am I missing something? Thank you, Cami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: calories Reply with quote

Is everyone going to ignore the post about a low fat version of this recipe? I am curious to see if there can be a professional quality great tasting version with low fat alternatives?????????
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: a question for the oven Reply with quote

Cami wrote:
Hi there Micheal, I am going to make this recipe for the first time and Ihave a question concerning my oven. Firstly I live in New Mexico where the wheather is very dry, even in winter time. I recently purchased a gas oven and have been having an issue with undercooking my food, especialy baked goods such as cakes. Do you have any reccomendations? Is it a simple matter of cooking the recipes longer? Or am I missing something? Thank you, Cami

If your oven is giving you problems, I'd get an oven thermometer to see if the oven is hitting the correct temperature. If your consistently undercooking the food, then the solution is to simply either increase the temperature or cook it longer. If you don't have an oven thermometer, then I would probably suggest simply cooking your food longer instead of trying a higher temperature. Some baked goods don't work out well if you bake at too high a temperature and it's impossible to accurately gauge an oven's temperature without a thermometer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: I'm a beginner Reply with quote

I just tried the recipe last night and the result seems pretty good although I had not tasted it yet since it's still setting in the fridge. Your photos/illustrations are wonderful. As it doesn't seem too difficult (shown through your photos) it really encourages beginners like me.

I baked a 9" and also used the remaining batter on smaller cake pans (perfect for gifts). I did the 500 degrees for 10 minutes and then 200 for 1 hour and 30 mins. When testing the temperature, my thermometer registered 170+!!! I was so worried but the cake looks fine. It appears as it should, but perhaps overbaking it just results in a stiffer cake? Again, I haven't actually tasted the finish product so I can't say for sure how the texture is. I did remove the smaller cake pans much earlier and they are rather good.

I do have a question though. Can the ingredients be combined all at once? rather than doing thirds and halves? What is the purpose of that?

I will attempt your other recipes next. Thank you again.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: I'm a beginner Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I do have a question though. Can the ingredients be combined all at once? rather than doing thirds and halves? What is the purpose of that?

We add sugar to the cheese in thirds to help ensure an even distribution of sugar throughout the mix without mixing for a long time. Adding all the sugar at once makes it more likely for clumps of sugar to be deposited in the thick cheese.
Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Mixing without an electric mixer Reply with quote

To anyone making this without an electri mixer-

Let the cream cheese set for several hours until it is soft at room temp. You can even cut it up and throw it in the microwave for a short 10-20 sec.

Then just use a stout whisk and a large bowl. Mixing this will take a little muscle work at first, but by the time you add the eggs and cream the batter will loosen up enough to mix more easily. Don't leave any lumps of cream cheese. You may have to do several bursts of elbow grease to prevent lumps, but if the cheese was soft to start with you'l be OK.

You can also use a big food processor with the chopping blade. Mix in batches if needed, then use a decent whisk and a big bowl to combine batches.
Jill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, Mom and I just took a bite out of this and it is fantastic. I love the texture! Can't wait to get some strawberries on there and have a full slice.
Ours is very dark brown around the edges (but still moist - not burnt) and when I took it out it was registering around 160 F, so I think I may have left it a little long. It cracked somewhere in the last forty minutes of cooking so maybe that's related. Fortunately the crack's pretty much right down the middle!
I also opened the oven door a couple times during the first ten minutes of cooking at 500 F to check on how much of the cake was rising (a previous poster suggested waiting until the diameter of the un-risen section was 4-5 cm), but almost none of mine noticeably rose more than the rest so after thirteen or fourteen minutes I decided just to bring it down--perhaps that had something to do with it too.
Thanks for this amazing recipe! And thanks for making all the recipes so readable. I never "get" the cooking websites, but this site actually makes cooking enjoyable because I know what I'm doing and why.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: making in a large quanity Reply with quote

does it change anything if you mix them up in a big mixer?

i have a 30 quart hobart type...and i'd like to start making cheesecake in quanity. Shock
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 4 of 22

Jump to: