Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Cheesecake, Plain New York Style
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be surprised if hand mixing reduced the trapping of air. I'm not entirely convinced that it is the air that causes the cracking instead of uneven contraction of the cake as it cools, but it might be the cause. I'd be interested in hearing anyone's results on this.
osomiel@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: cheesecake Reply with quote

If I use a 12 inch springform pan do I need to change the cooking times?
If so to what?
Do you run a knife around the edge of the springform pan or is it ok without that?
Aussie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Do not use with ovens with element at top of oven Reply with quote

Fyi. I am in Australia and it is common that the ovens have the elements at the top of the stove instead of the bottom.

I tried these temperatures in this sort of oven and by the time I got to 7 minutes at 500 deg F (250 C) the top of the cake had burned even though the cake was placed on the middle-bottom rack of the oven.
ccgabbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: High Altitude Urgent Question Reply with quote

Any idea what to do at high altitude? I am at 4108 feet
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a couple messages throughout the thread - the consensus is it works the same but it will take a bit longer to bake finished at altitude.
ccgabbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: burnt? Reply with quote

I just took my cheesecake out of the oven, first off, I cooked it as long as it is suppose to be baked, I am at high altitude. Right after I tested the temperature and shut the oven (It took another 30 minutes to finish cooking) It cracked really bad, so it looks terrible, because at 500 degrees for the 10 minutes on the 2nd rack from the bottom, the top is really brown and the sides are almost black. I was frustrated from 4 minutes into baking because I watched it get darker and darker and I could not do anything about it for fear of completely ruining my cheesecake.
Anger
So, after 10 minutes I turned it down to 200 degrees and never opened the door (that was torture while I watched it burn)
It was still gooey and 130 degrees at 1 hour and 40 minutes. I had to test the temp several times so I didn't overcook (did it anyways, the temp went from 140 up to 160 degrees in probably 5 minutes. Grrr.
I haven't tasted it, but I am really worried. I don't have time to make another one. I used an amazing recipe for my first one, and messed it up, so I decided to try yours. I had to substitute lemon peel for the lemon juice because I didn't expect to make another cheesecake
I increased the vanilla to 2 tbsp and our business has huckleberries, so either I will make my own sauce, or use our Huckleberry syrup or preserves on it.
I will let you know how it tastes tomorrow. Crossing my fingers for it to taste as amazing as everyone else's. I also scraped vanilla seeds into it for the flecks because we can't sell the drier vanilla. I make my own vanilla extract to use these pods we cannot sell anymore. I use distilled vodka and make everlasting vanilla extract. It is thick and very flavorful. Anyways, I put my own twist on it, because I LOVE my vanilla extract so anytime I bake, I have to use the vanilla seeds and/or the seeds. I hope that didn't ruin the cheesecake flavor.
Out of curiousity, can any of these changes ruin the cheesecake? I am not a scientist. Did I mess up the cheesecake by tweeking the recipe? Like the cracking and burning?
Sorry for the lengthy post. I wish you would make a 2nd recipe for high altitude. No one has any high altitude recipes.
PS, if it turns out really good, can I post this recipe on my website? I would need to tweek the recipe, to add the vanilla. Always looking for recipes using our products! Even if the huckleberry syrup or preserves taste good.
Do you have a great recipe for candy cap mushrooms? Or using vanilla that I can use on - Or any other products that would work with our products? How to make a sauce with huckleberries? Huckleberries are sweet and tart! So a recipe that would cut some of the tart and bring out the sweet?
ccgabbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: High Altitude Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
there's a couple messages throughout the thread - the consensus is it works the same but it will take a bit longer to bake finished at altitude.

I wish there was more information on line that was the same. Some say that we increase this and decrease that, and then ones that say not to change anything and bake longer. I wish more people that would post recipes that are good, such as the New York Style cheesecake. I would like to know that exact baking time that you would need to make it work. Cheesecake is very time consuming and not cheap to ruin. The first one I made, I made the mistake of putting very little sugar because of the way it is written. Imagine using 3/4 cup of sugar when it calls for 1 3/4 Cups! It is very very dense, you cannot cut the crust, and okay tasting, just not as strong.
Looking forward to drizzlingover it, it may make it perfect since I didn't put enough sugar over it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: best d cheesecake Reply with quote

Thank you.
I've been looking for a good cheesecake recipe and I found this one in January 2015, and it came out amazing. I couldn't be more pleased and all of the comments from other bakers has helped. I lost this recipe until just today I finally found it by Googling 'cheesecake recipe that starts at 500°' and I cried when I found it because I've read other recipes and just didn't even care to trY. My husband loves this cake and his birthday is tomorrow. thank you thank you thank you for sharing this wonderfully delicious recipe and your skills on how to get it perfect. If I could I'd hug you! Thanks again.....Sarah.
Gibbs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: New York Cheesecake Reply with quote

Your NY Cheesecake recipe appears to be of the light and fluffy variety. But I love the very dense cheesecake such as those from Carnegie Deli (RIP!) and Katz's. I've never seen a recipe for the ultra-dense cheesecakes like those, nor do I understand what makes a cheesecake fluffy and what makes it dense.

Can you help? THANKS!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cream cheese in the light&fluffy types is whipped to incorporate air - basic recipes are similar. the denser varieties are mixed but not whipped.

here's one that promises density

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/8229/new-york-cheesecake-iii/

(you can make the crust to your preference, use the filling for dense)
Andy Osinski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: cheesecake Reply with quote

This is not a recipe for an air-filled cheesecake. This is a real, heavy, Junior's of Brooklyn style cheesecake.
I make about 5 or 6 of these things every year for various family shindigs and here's what I've found, mostly thru trial and error.
Run your mixer at the lowest possible speed. Running too fast will incorporate air into the mix and fluff it up. If your mixer stalls at low speed, get a better mixer. Oh, yeah, don't try to hurry the mixing. I usually run the mix cycle for at least 15 minutes.
Scrape the bowl while mixing. Otherwise, you're guaranteed to have cream cheese globs in the cake.
I always use jumbo eggs for everything I make. Works great in this recipe.
Experiment with the vanilla. I always double up and everyone loves it. Don't use the imitation stuff. The flavor WILL be different.
Head for your local Goodwill or Salvation Army store and pick up one of those tiny food processors that were such a fad a few years ago (grind fresh spices, grind fresh coffee and so on). The size of those bowls is perfect for one wrapped pack of graham crackers. That processor will grind it up to powder.
While we're on the mini processor kick, ignore the melted butter. Once the crackers are powdered, add the unmelted butter to the processor and run it until the butter's "distributed". It will act as a binder for the powder. Coat the pan with some baking spray.
Since the butter acts as a binder, don't worry about pressing the base with a flat bottomed whatever. I still can't find one. Just pour the batter out slowly.
The first cake I made, I pre-baked the crust per instructions. The second, I didn't. No discernible difference.
I've tried to incorporate things like strawberries, raspberries, chocolate and so on with no success. Maybe someone can give me a hint. I have spread the crust with M&M's before pouring in the batter. That one worked very well.
Follow the times exactly. This is another thing you can't rush. Fight the urge to open the oven door to check things out.
Once the cake is out of the oven, let it rest. On the counter until room temperature, then into the refrigerator. Putting it in the fridge immediately is guaranteed to crack the top.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Granny Smith Apple Pie Cheesecake Reply with quote

I have been using this recipe for about 10 years now. It always comes out well, but I made a change a few years ago, that I now have to always do at my family's insistence.

I slice up 3 granny smith apples, lightly saute them with a very small amount of brown sugar, then put the apple mixture in the bottom of the springform on top of the graham crackers. Then pour in the cheesecake mixture. Bake as normal. Just don't use too juicy an apple pie filling as it tends to want to then overcook the graham crackers.

Granny Smith Apple Pie Cheesecake!

It's a HUGE hit at the holidays...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*OH... MMM¥...GOSHHH!
I Made this €heesecake &
let me tell ya.., the fact that it's SUPER EASY & pretty much "foolproof", STILL blows me away! And Mmm'an, did it taste soo. . ,"Dangerously Delicious"!! Just thinking about it makes my mouth water! (Nxt time I make one, I'm TOTALLY gonna DOUBLE UP the ingredients! Lol.
*IF you or someone you care about likes cheesecake, Oh "mmm"y goshhh!... THIS RECEIPE IS A MUST !! Smile (satisfaction guarenteed!)
Hanlie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Baking more than one cheesecake at a time Reply with quote

How much time. Should I alow for every extra cheesecake baked in the same oven at the same time.
Each cheesecake 2000g.

Baking top and bottom - why the difference in temperature and consistency.
The top two takes longer to reach 150f but firmer. The bottom two quicker to reach temp but more jiggly.

Thank you
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

generally ovens have enough capacity that very little extra time is needed.

a really small oven could take a bit longer - nothing like 2x the time tho.
start checking at the predicted time and adjust as needed.

if the cheesecakes are on two different rack - for example one high and one low in the oven - that can throw the timing off. I'd probably swap their positions midway through the bake time.

not sure I understand the question of "baking top & bottom"
if you mean the top of the cheesecake vs. the bottom, the tops "air dry" a bit while baking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: