Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Cheesecake, Plain New York Style
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
an anonymous reader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new in cooking ... and I have a stupid question
I don't have an electric mixer... do I HAVE to use an electric mixer for mixing the cream cheese and stuff? Would it be a nightmare to mix those ingredients just by simple tools such as... spoons?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an anonymous reader wrote:
I am new in cooking ... and I have a stupid question
I don't have an electric mixer... do I HAVE to use an electric mixer for mixing the cream cheese and stuff? Would it be a nightmare to mix those ingredients just by simple tools such as... spoons?

Seems like a legitimate question to me... and yes, I would say it would be a nightmare to muscle through the cream cheese by hand - but it can be done. Let the cream cheese warm up to room temperature before trying to work with it or you might pull a muscle. If you're using spoons make sure it's nice and sturdy. I'd probably recommend a large spatula (like the ones with silicon spoon ends) or a wooden spoon so you can push your way through the cheese effectively.

It's going to be a lot of work and you probably won't end up with the same texture when compared to using a stand mixer, but with a bit of perserverance and some muscle, you should be able to pull it off.
Stacey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Dense or Fluffy - that is the question Reply with quote

I have been trying to figure out what makes a cheesecake dense or fluffy...I love fluffy cheesecake but it seems I always come out with a pretty dense one. I have read quite a few recipes that call for whipping the egg whites into soft peaks and then folding them in...will this help?

And what ratio of ingredients help make a cheesecake fluffy?

thanks! - Stacey
fwendy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an anonymous reader wrote:
Graham Crackers are known as digestive biscuits in the UK. Hope that helps.

Digestive biscuits are suggested as a suitable alternative for British cooks trying to follow American recipes, but they are not exactly the same thing.
cookies_gal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
P = (5.67*10^-8 W/m^2*K^4)(surfacearea)(0.95)(T^4-T0^4)
P = 5.67*10^-8 W/m^2*K^4*(0.14m^2)(0.95)(((373 K)^4-(293 K)^4)

Since the temp of the oven is 200C, shouldn't your first T read 473K instead?

Secondly, the second T term is not a constant of 293K. Wouldn't it be better to integrate the formula with respect to time as T goes from 293K to Tf (final temperature).
Note: You need to express the T in terms of time and combine the equations.
Spec8472

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a late post (going through the archives).

In Australia, you can use Arnotts Milk Arrowroot biscuits (or a generic brand alternative) to achieve the same result.

This has been a fairly standard recipie for biscuit bases in my family for as long as I can remember.
Cheshire Cat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a great cheesecake fan, but I prefer the set European cheesecakes to the baked American cheesecakes. Any chance of posting a recipe for a European cheesecake? The flavour and texture is different, and of course it is set in therefrigerator rather than the oven.
Hydraulic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recipe for the cheesecake worked perfectly. I made 3 cheesecakes with the amount of ingredients in this recipe becasue I used store-bought crusts.
I served the cheesecakes at a party that my fraternity was having and the females said that the cheesecake was "orgasmic." Thanks to you, i got a few numbers that night, lol. I also used the strwaberry topping from the angel food cake recipe and that also turned out lovely.

My one question would be, coul I possibly replace the heavy cream with egg nog for the holiday season? It was something that came to my mind while making the cheesecake.

I will take this opportunity to introduce myself. I'm 19 years old and I'm a sophomore at the University of Pennsylvania. I'm studying mechanical engineering. When I discovered this website I was quite surprised because I figured that this website would suit me perfectly. However, I have done a lot of thinking and I am now trying to transfer schools so that I may pursue a career in Hospitality Management or Culinary Arts. I love engineering, but my passion for cooking is greater. Once again, I'd like you to know that I'm glad I found this site and these forums and I'm looking forward to staying around.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydraulic wrote:
My one question would be, coul I possibly replace the heavy cream with egg nog for the holiday season? It was something that came to my mind while making the cheesecake.

Substituing the heavy cream with egg nog is an intriguing idea. My guess is that it will work, but you may need to adjust the baking time a little.
el

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: cream cheese in france ? Reply with quote

hello,
i would love to try your receipe of the New york style cheese cake but i live in france and don't know what would be equivalent to cream cheese ? Would ricotta be ok ? I read a receipe that mentionned neufchatel but find it very surprising...
thank you, el.
from venezuela

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: great!!!! Reply with quote

Smile Very happy to read this article and loved a lot all the experiencie put it by the people. Thank a lot. I will do it and hope get it ok at the first time thanks to all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: fan assisted Reply with quote

Hi,

I can't wait to try this recipe!
One question though, I have a fan-assisted oven and was was wondering how this will affect the cooking times?

M
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: fan assisted Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
One question though, I have a fan-assisted oven and was was wondering how this will affect the cooking times?

A convection oven will decrease the cooking time. How much time does it decrease by? I don't know. Anyone with a convenction oven that can give advice?

I'd usually suggest dropping the temperature a bit, but since we're baking at 200°F for most of this, You'll just have to check for doneness earlier. I'd start at least 30 min. earlier in checking the temperature.
Samantha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: temperature of center Reply with quote

Great recipe, I made it for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it!

I had one possible problem, though. When I took the cake out of the oven to check its temperature it was slightly over 160°F (about 170-180°F). With having no previous experience with cheesecakes I did not know what to do so I just ignored the high temperature and carried on with the rest of the recipe. I followed your directions exactly, what could I have done wrong and if I were to try again what should I do differently?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: temperature of center Reply with quote

Samantha wrote:
I had one possible problem, though. When I took the cake out of the oven to check its temperature it was slightly over 160°F (about 170-180°F). With having no previous experience with cheesecakes I did not know what to do so I just ignored the high temperature and carried on with the rest of the recipe. I followed your directions exactly, what could I have done wrong and if I were to try again what should I do differently?

Not much else to do except carry on with the recipe. The only danger with a high temperature is cracking. Too low and the cake may not set. Next time, shave off a little time from the recipe and check earlier. Baking times are always approximate due to all the possible variables (actual oven temperature, humidity, altitude/air pressure, cleanliness of oven, heating element cycling algorithm, etc.). Now that we know your cheesecakes bake faster than mine, just cut off fifteen minutes and check. If it's still too hot, then next time cut off some more time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: