Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Cheesecake, Plain New York Style
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Flavors Reply with quote

I asked 2 months ago about adding flavors, and have yet to see a response. I was hoping to be able to make a Bailey's cheesecake for Thanksgiving, and need to know how much to put in and whether or not it would unbalance the recipe.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that no one on this board has tried to modify this recipe with Bailey's and that's why no one has responded - what you shoul dhave done in the last two months is made a cheesecake with a couple tablespoons of Baileys to see the effect and then do it again if you don't like the results - if you didn't like the results but don't know how to adjust to make it how you like, you probably could have asked here to get suggestions, but expecting random people on the internet to test a recipe for you is asking to be disappointed. With a day and a half left, you may still have enough time to make a cheesecake with Baileys and report on your results in time to get some reponses on how to adjust it if you dislike what you created.
valerie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: using an extra cream cheese instead of heavy cream Reply with quote

IK.

Dbo J vtf bo fyusb dsfbn difftf jotufbe pg ifbwz dsfbn
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: using an extra cream cheese instead of heavy cream Reply with quote

valerie wrote:
IK.

Dbo J vtf bo fyusb dsfbn difftf jotufbe pg ifbwz dsfbn

hmm, a bit too much Bailey's methinks . . .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: best ever Reply with quote

have made this 4 times now with varying results(appearance, used differant ovens) but bottomline is it still gets," its the best cheesecake i ever tasted" from everyone that tastes it. My neighbor has told me her sister prides herself on her cheesecake and mine blows hers away. Not bad for a truckdriver.
Loves2Bake..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Help with info.. on freshness Reply with quote

Hi ,

Does anyone know how long a cheesecake lasts in the frig until it goes bad? Can you freeze one until ready to serve ? If so how long can it be frozen before it goes bad. If anyone can help me with either questions i would greatly appriciate it !! Hope everyone has a Happy Holiday !! Thanks any info. will be great....
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can freeze it. wrap it well in plastic, then foil (prevent drying out)

time in the fridge depends on fridge temp, covering, how many bugs are floating around in the fridge - perhaps a week - fuzzies will grow on the surface - then you know it's a goner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: i don't have heavy cream Reply with quote

Could I just use Nestle canned cream? Or maybe even all-purpose cream? I really can't find any whipping cream or heavy cream or double cream here.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Too much moisture in the finished cake Reply with quote

I have made 3 cheesecakes without any cracking. I do use a water bath. My problem is that there is too much moisture in the cake when done. I cook it at 325 for 70 minutes and the results are much to creamy. Is this and ingredient, mixing technique or cooking temperature/time problem?
Isabella

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: 10 inch means 10 inch Reply with quote

So, I bought one of those nested three packs of spring form pans. And, I decided to make a double recipe. using a 9 inch and an 11 inch pan.

Well, after several "perfect" single 10 inch pan results in the past, tonight's cheesecakes were full of large cracks. The 9 inch cracked right away during the 500 degree stage. I was relieved with the 11 inch holding strong. But, it cracked almost as soon as I took it out of the oven.

New pans, new oven... forgot the extra pan of water, and didn't cover it during cooling.

Next time I will pay more attention and follow the recipe.
rachel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: delicious creation Reply with quote

this is the best cheesecake recipe i've ever tried. it's delicious. my family inhaled it and it was gone within 30 minutes. thanks!
pulsefire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: new York cheesecake Reply with quote

Tried this recipe for Christmas. The first one went to my stepdaughter's family (including my grandchildren) who pronounced it excellent. The second went to my lady friends family (two daughters and two grandchildren) who also pronounced it excellent, except for one grandchild who refused to eat anything that night.
Regarding comments about splitting the cheesecake top--does anyone REALLY care?? If this is a concern, cover the thing with strawberries or chocolate sauce. Whoever gets the piece(s) with the cracks will have some extra topping. Consider it a plus.
All in all, an excellent recipe, easy to make.
Question-- has anybody tried this recipe in the cupcake form? I know there's a cheese/cup/cake recipe on site but I seem to like this one quite a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Cheesecake without a crust Reply with quote

Someone asked this above, but I didn't see a response. Is it OK to cook this cheesecake without a crust at all? I have celiac disease and cannot eat gluten. It is possible to get gluten-free graham crackers of a sort, but actually I like the cheesecakes better that don't have crusts. Any modifications necessary or just leave it out?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can just omit it entirely - some 'styles' have crust on the bottom only, some bottom and sides, but their absence won't affect the filling proper.

if using a spring form, you probably want to give a look at the bottom-to-side junction to be sure it won't leak.
Rita

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Purchased a KAiser Springform pan from Germany Reply with quote

Just purchased an 11" kaiser Springfrom pan which is made in Germany. It is so well constructed I highly recommend it. The bottom rim on this thing is amazingly tight so leakage would be difficult. Nice closure on this pan as well. I purchased mine at Chef Resource. com because they had the best price and free shipping. Cost was $50.00 but should last a lifetime if not longer.

I made this cheesecake twice and both times it came out cracked. The first time I followed the recipe for time as state and my internal temperature reached over 170 degree. The cake still tasted amazing and set up really well. The second time I made this was last night. Left cake in oven for one hour only and internal temperature tested 160 F. Top cracked like crazy though. Shock Anger

Things I may have done wrong: Did not have any moisture in oven, may have overbeaten slightly but not sure since I was aware to not overbeat, my ingredients may have been to cool and not completely at room temperature, and I substituted sour cream for the heavy cream.

Question: can I substitute sour cream for heavy cream???? Huh?
I used sour cream twice in each cheese cake and maybe that is what caused the cracking? Would anyone happen to know what proportion of sour cream I really needed to replace the heavy cream I did not use?

Any ideas are appreciated. This is the best cheese cake I have ever made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 15 of 22

Jump to: