Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Peanut Butter Cookies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made half a batch of these with all white sugar and a teaspoon of molasses. They were delicious. Using the crispy cookie method produced crisp edges and a slightly chewy center. I'll probably make them again with no molasses, since I LOVE cookies with "a light crispiness that melts in your mouth." [Nice description! I couldn't find an adequate way to describe it before >__>]

My cookie attempts are usually denser. I avoid recipes that call for creaming butter since I don't have a mixer and am too much of a wimp to try doing it by hand. [Although that may change in the near future. The wimp part, I mean.] I think mixing the peanut butter and butter and then adding sugar replicated the airy texture produced by normal creaming. Neat. :]

Thanks for the great recipe!

[Random afterthought: I noticed your Chinese Almond Cookies test recipe. Have you ever thought of trying to make those yellow muffin-things eaten during Lunar New Year? They look all exploded at the top and are steamed rather than baked. The commonly accepted Anglicized name is huat kueh or kuih, I think. I would use an already existing recipe, but all the measurements are in imperial units.]
@_@

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: "Yellow 'Muffin-Things' Eaten During Lunar New Years&qu Reply with quote

Are you referring to those mini muffins steamed in small teacups, also known as Prosperity Cakes? In addition, even more off topic are those Moon Cakes, which usually are usually filled with a lotus paste(yum), and sometimes with an egg yolk(yuck >.<) in the middle?
noahzark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: peanut butter cookies Reply with quote

My favorite site on he web. Michael really knows how to "Chu" his food.
I made a single batch and they were excellent> This was my first attempt ever to make any type of cookie. Yesterday I made a second batch, doubling all ingredientsnand folded in three generous handfuls of chocolate chips. I use an icecream type, spring loaded scoop of about
1 1/2' diameter. I wet the fork in water and press down just a tiny bit to spread batter. refrigeratd for 15 mn. Baked at 300f for 15 min . results in soft chewy 3" dia cookies. My sons loved them. didn't count but yeild of double batch about 4 dozen.
jadedraven

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: awesome Reply with quote

This is such a good recipe...i was bored and looking to make something with ingredients i had in the house already, and i happen to have organic cashew butter...so i used that and margarine instead of butter, added a sprinkle of cinnamon, and i put a whole cashew on top before baking...they turned out really really well, and i will definately use this recipe again, maybe try almond butter next time and see if they taste just as good. I am always concerned about making peanut butter cookies because i only use organic stuff, and it has a much different consistancy than the jiffy kind, but there was no issue at all, they baked up just like normal, they were quite greasy when i was rolling the balls, but i chilled them for 15 mins (like the directions say) and they were fine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: baking soda Reply with quote

do i realy need to use the baking soda for these cookies
what happens if i dont
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baking soda is the leavening - it is required - without you'll have very dense very flat cookies.
ciganka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Baking soda vs Baking powder Reply with quote

Huh? Checking out several peanut butter cookie receipies, I find them to be similar, but some say baking powder & others say baking powder. Which should I use? Thanks
ciganka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: soda vs powder Reply with quote

Sad Made a typing error in my first note. Is it baking soda or baking powder that is preferred?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: soda vs powder Reply with quote

ciganka wrote:
Is it baking soda or baking powder that is preferred?

It's not a matter of preference - for a particular recipe there is a certain amount of baking soda that can be used (depending on the acidity of the final mix of ingredients). If there isn't enough acidity, then only a little (or no) baking soda can be added to the recipe and more leavening agent is needed. In that case you add baking powder (which is both acid and base) to provide the additional leavening.

Most recipes call for a certain amount of baking soda and baking powder and these shouldn't be changed without careful experimentation (take notes so you see what change did what to the rising of the batter and how it tastes - too much baking soda can taste metallic/alkaline and too much baking powder can also contribute to an off taste).
PeggyC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Flours Reply with quote

I'd love to try these but I only have self-raising flour at the moment - would I simply leave out the baking powder/soda from the recipe as an adequate substitute?

The recipe looks lovely and I'm grateful for the knowledge on the effects of refrigeration on cookies - I'll be refrigerating these for soft and chewy cookies.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

self-rising flour has about 1.25 teaspoon baking powder per cup - you can adjust any additional baking powder from there but do not omit the baking soda.
Pazu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a batch tonight but forgot to add the soda! The texture became similar to a sable. I imagine these would be crisp if i added the soda... o well!
Just a question about the baking time. Surely if one wants a crisper cookie one should bake at a lower temperature for longer to let the heat flatten out the dough before it finally sets? I would imagine baking at a higher temperature for shorter would mean that the outside is cooked while the middle remains moist. Kindly let us know whether this is unfounded pls...
Many thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about peanut butter cookies more generally: I had a peanut butter cookie that was oversized, quite thin but very soft and chewy. they were used as sandwich cookies with a jam filling. they were so soft that if I had held a single cookie on its edge, it would have folded on itself. Do you know of any techniques aside from not overcooking at a low temperature that would help create a cookie like this? I know that using brown sugar is probably a better idea. I was thinking of experimenting with molassas. What i do not want is a peanut butter cookie that is crumbly in any way.
IcedNyior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made this and they taste great! You can really taste all the peanut butter goodness. I used chunky peanut butter so it has bits of nuts inside. One complaint tho, its a bit too sweet! Will reduce the sugar the next time i make it Smile

Great recipe nonetheless!

~IcedNyior
http://me.zestful.org
http://eats.zestful.org
sandra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: awesome Reply with quote

hey...just bumped in2 ure site n just love it..made pancakes...n they came out perfect...keep up d good work!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: