Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Peanut Butter Cookies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
would using margarine affect the texture of the cookies

It would probably affect taste more than texture. There will be some textural difference however. Generally, butter will create a more tender and crumbly cookie than margarine. Besides tasting better and producing a better texture, butter doesn't have any trans fats.
Modified mummy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: I thank you! Reply with quote

hello,

I have never made peanut butter 'cookies' before this recipe. In fact, it was only whilst watching an america programme that the I realised such an idea was even possible! (I've a limited mind apparantly when it comes to baking).

My second batch of dough is chilling right now, and I must say I was impressed with the first lot yesterday! (Indeed, already they've all gone and I must make more Wink )

And I live in england, so thank you muchly for using grams in your measurments. the whole concept of 'cups' is beyond me, as it is not a way of measuring I have ever used before (or heard of, for that matter).

Thank you again!
Cheryl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: measurements Reply with quote

Thank you for using the cup measurement as well as the gram. I have never used or had recipes that measured by grams (until recently) I have baked for many years and don't intend to learn a new measurement at this age. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really upset me, I just used you're other recipe - which had no business being posted - and wasted all the ingredients, just to read the last sentence on the recipe- the cookies were bland and you didn't eat them!!!!!!!! All that wasted effort, I will never use another one of your recipes!!!!!!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
You really upset me, I just used you're other recipe - which had no business being posted - and wasted all the ingredients, just to read the last sentence on the recipe- the cookies were bland and you didn't eat them!!!!!!!! All that wasted effort, I will never use another one of your recipes!!!!!!

I'm sorry! Not all the test recipes work out well. The Recipe File is where I put all the recipes that I whole heartedly back. There are some hits and some misses in the Test Recipes section. I'll try to make it clear upfront in the future when a recipe didn't live up to my expectations. THIS peanut butter cookie recipe, on the other hand, is awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the best peanut butter cookies I've ever had (I did the soft and chewy version). In fact, this is the best peanut butter cookie dough I've ever had... it didn't all get baked. I stumbled across your site searching for 'peanut butter cookies' and I'm so glad I did -- bless you for including temperatures in C and catering to the left-brained cookie craver.
msalley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to "How on earth do you measure butter by the cup? Just stick it in..." - it's easy. On this side of the pond, the butter packet has a notation on the wrapper which reads "1 stick = half cup. 1/2 stick = 1/4 cup." and so on. It stems from the fact that the butter can easily, when soft (as when it is formed into the stick and then cooled to harden) be fitted into a tablespoon to measure. There are 16 tablespoons in one cup, so each stick of butter is worth eight tablespoons or 1/2 a cup. It's marked that way on the butter wrapper... there are even lines marked to cut along at every tablespoon.
Laura Newcomb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Peanut Butter Cookies Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Chu,

I've been making cookies for years, I won't tell you how many! (Ok - probably something like 40 years.) I now understand how to accomplish making soft and chewy cookies, and why the last batch of cookies (dough resting on warm countertop) is different from that first cool batch going into the oven. I hope you are earning big bucks as a food science engineer!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful site. I've long wondered why I couldn't get my cookies as chewy as I wanted and now I understand why. For anyone else interested in the science behind cookies of different consistencies, there is a great episode of Good Eats (Food Network show featuring Alton Brown) explaining what recipe changes do (the episode is centered around chocolate chip cookies, but the principles are applicable to any cookie).

I think I would use a tiny bit less flour next time personally - and make the balls significantly larger than 1" (closer to 2") for the chewy version.

Thanks again for the great info!
Cole Christensen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Warning! Reply with quote

Don't over-mix! I made these earlier today mixing the batter in a food processor. I left it running while cleaning up a bit and unfortunately what I assume to be the oil from the peanut butter separated out of the mixture as it heated from the intense stirring. A quick trip to the freezer and another few seconds of mixing reintegrated most of the oil. A little bit oozed out during baking but the cookies still turned out okay (my roommate was happy with them) so no big loss. They turned out tasting a bit too much like peanuts (peanut oil in particular) for my taste but maybe this is because of the overmixing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Change to recipe card Reply with quote

Shouldn't you add the "refrigerate for an hour" to the recipe card. If I was going off of just the card, I would miss this important step for either (crispy or soft) type of cookie.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Change to recipe card Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Shouldn't you add the "refrigerate for an hour" to the recipe card. If I was going off of just the card, I would miss this important step for either (crispy or soft) type of cookie.

Thanks - fixed that on the recipe card.
Cookie Monster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: mmmm Cookies Reply with quote

Me LOVE these cookies.... Me made crunchy Me made soft. All good cookies yes. Me no more want to be a fruit monster or broccoli monster. MMMMM Cookies....Ohhhh Cookie Cookie Cookie starts with C !!
xo CM
tahrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm.... wow. seriously going to be making some of these tomorrow. just got a new electric whisking device, needs to be broken in on something non-critical. and there's that big jar of peanut butter that will probably just go bad if it's not used up Smile
ab01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: metrics Reply with quote

I learned to cook using imperial measurements-- ounces, cups, etc. When I graduated to making breads, I found that it was easier to weigh rather than measure the ingredients. Simply put the mixing bowl on the scale, zero it, add the ingredients (zero between each addition). No dirty measuring cups, just the one bowl. Electronic scales are not that expensive, and they certainly lessen the work load, as well as improve the result. The scales have a button that will allow me to switch between metric and imperial. I have found that using metrics works much better than imperial, and I'm gradually adding metrics to my recipes. I really appreciate recipes such as yours that include both. By the way, the cookies are great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: