Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Peanut Butter Cookies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a cool website. I love the way you organize the recipe. I use the "light and crispy" cooking method, and that's exactly how they turned out! They're delicious. Thanks. Big smile
hope

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: WOW Reply with quote

GREAT RECIPE i made it right now
im only like 13 and its EASY to do Smile
wow your amazing
they tasted great. the dough tasted GOOD
spoolymontana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

appreciate the great recipe with thorough details!
sending to a friend overseas to make a batch for herself in Europe!
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Cookie Failure in Amsterdam... Reply with quote

Well I tried. And I am an excellent cook. But I do admit failure. I followed your recipe to the "T". What I ended up with was a crumbly, sandy-like, too light and dry cookie. I wanted to get the kind of peanut-butter cookies I grew up with in San Francisco available at all the cafés we had out there: soft, chewey, pastey-like, almost undercooked (like the cookie dough in Cookie Dough Icecream), and big and chunky. I did not get that. The ingredients here in Amsterdam are all the same as in the US. Do you think the flour here is the problem? I know American flour is more durable because when I tried to make proper French-style baguettes in the States, I would never get the same bread you get in France. I guess I just give up American recipes and assimilate to what we are used to here. Any suggestions would be grateful. Thanks everyone! Dave, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, assuming you did follow everything to the "T", I think you hit the nail on the head with the flour--either its variety of wheat/protein/gluten or its density/volumetric vs weight measurement. I would vary the flour in your recipe and keep the other indregients constant and see how you do.
Nancy Ho, Singapore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: too oily...? Reply with quote

The cookies are sooooooooooo delicious! My husband loves them. Can I cut down the butter? My fingers were greasy after that? Is it normal? I weight all the ingredients in gram... unless my butter is different... or my peanut butter? I am using crunchy peter pan peanut butter...
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: too oily...? Reply with quote

Nancy Ho, Singapore wrote:
The cookies are sooooooooooo delicious! My husband loves them. Can I cut down the butter? My fingers were greasy after that? Is it normal? I weight all the ingredients in gram... unless my butter is different... or my peanut butter? I am using crunchy peter pan peanut butter...

Sounds like you made them correctly. Your fingers will become greasy as you mold the dough. You can try reducing butter, but at some point you'll be able to detect a texture and flavor difference. This is up to personal preference and will require some experimenting. For some people, they can make an all peanut butter cookie and others need all the butter. Try making a batch with reduced butter and see if you still like it. If so, reduce th ebutter some more and keep going. Of course, peanut butter has a lot of oil in it (it is mostly fat), so your fingers will always be greasy. At some point you won't be ablet o mold the dough without the dough sticking to your fingers - so dip your hand in water to help keep everything off your fingers as you work.
patricele

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: perfect recipe! Reply with quote

Oh my gosh! I'm totally over my fear of making peanut butter cookies now! I usually pride myself in being able to bake just about anything I want to, but PB cookies have always been a challenge until now. Thank you for the wonderful recipe! I've used this recipe several times now (with the helpful instructions about baking extra soft cookies) and they've come out perfect every time! You saved my cookie reputation...big thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best PB recipe ever! I did cut down on the butter -- used about 5 Tb instead of 8. I also used the all natural Smuckers PB. Thanks so much for posting this recipe!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone here in phoenix arizonia sure is loves the cokies they did not want to make at first with being 110 out. They remind of the cookies granma made when i was kid that miss now i can have them again . Thanks so much much. sarah
Molly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Almonds? Reply with quote

I've never been able to try peanut butter anything before because I'm allergic to peanuts. I absolutely love almond butter (just plain almonds ground into a paste) and thought maybe I could make almond butter cookies. I didn't know if it would work with almonds. I know you have a recipe for just almond cookies, but would this be different?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother used to make almond cookies often, less frequently now. I don't know the recipe, but she used almond butter she bought in the health food store or she ground her own blanched almonds. The cookies were great, better than with peanut butter as far as I am concerned. She would press an almond into the top of the cookie before baking. Off the top of my head, I would try to substitute almond butter directly in the peanut butter recipe.
Deanna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Peanut Butter Cookies Reply with quote

Thank you for the lovely recipe. It's within my range of interest as I do like to be precise, and I want to understand why my cookies are turning out to be discs from hell. I have a batch chilling in the fridge as I type this, and I am looking forward to viewing more of your site. Again, thanks.
jennilam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any brown sugar in the pantry, so instead I substituted a half cup of regular sugar mixed with two tablespoons of molasses. The peanut butter cookies turned out wonderfully. Yummers!
Chris Lee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Very late message about the conversion between metric and US Reply with quote

Being an Engineer myself, Married to a Physicist (yes its an interesting relationship with many interesting arguments), I was quite pleased to find this site today by pure accident while searching for another recipe.

Of course when I saw this site on Google, I came here right away to check on it, and my Wife loved it so much as well, she is planning on posting it to all her physics friends tomorrow on her blog site.

Anyway, Back to topic. Micheal, Thank you for a BRILLENT site. Everything from your explainations to the recipe summary cards is out of this world and if somebody cant understand it.. well I won't comment

However with regards to the comments made some time ago (almost a year from me finding your site) I would like to let the person who made the comments about you using inches. Know that any engineer should know how to convert between imperial and metric systems. If any engineer around the world (and I use metric BTW where I live) doesn't know what an inch is.. they need to go back to varsity.. if not junior school
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: