Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Peanut Butter Cookies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made them. Great! The dough is the best I have ever used - easy to handle and soft.
Gamma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Other nuts. Reply with quote

I made this up just now using rice flour instead of normal flour and in place of the peanut butter about 3/4 cup pecans, run through the coleslaw attachment on my food processor and then put in with the normal blade and drizzled a little bit of light corn syrup on it to make it stickier. (This was still fairly coarse and dry, but even.) By the time I finished mixing everything together the batter was very smooth (no noticable chunks of nuts) and had a pleasantly nutty taste over all... not like what you'd call a peanut butter cookie but still very good.
Heather

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Peanut Butter Cookies Reply with quote

These cookies are phenominal!!! I have been looking for a way to soften up peanut butter cookies myself and they always came out crispy and crunchy. Delicious! I am baking them as we speak and decided to make yet another batch. Thank you for posting such a great recipe!
bkd69

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Old fashioned peanut butter? Reply with quote

What do you mean by "old fashioned" peanut butter, vice Skippy? To my USAian mind, Skippy belongs to that variety of peanut butter that's overly processed, with added oil, perhaps some added sweetener, and ultrasmooth. The other variety that we have is "natural," which has a much coarser texture, no additives whatsoever, and the peanut oil tends to separate out.

It used to be cost prohibitive, but the past ten or fifteen years or so, the price has come down to be competeive with the standard variety. I've long been meaning to try making peanut butter cookies with it, but just haven't gotten to it yet.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Old fashioned peanut butter? Reply with quote

bkd69 wrote:
What do you mean by "old fashioned" peanut butter, vice Skippy? To my USAian mind, Skippy belongs to that variety of peanut butter that's overly processed, with added oil, perhaps some added sweetener, and ultrasmooth. The other variety that we have is "natural," which has a much coarser texture, no additives whatsoever, and the peanut oil tends to separate out.

The "Old fashioned" peanut butter that I refer to is the non-(regular) Skippy/Jif brand stuff which separates. The FDA found in random testing that in general those peanut butters have a higher aflatoxin content than the "ultra-processed" varieties that we generally think of. This is one of those cases where processed may be better for you than natural/traditional. In any case, processed peanut butter turns out to be a not-so-processed food when we compare it to other processed foods.
psychotron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: peanut butter cookies Reply with quote

A much better recipe is:
1 cup peanut butter (chunky is best)
1 cup sugar
1 egg

As every engineer knows, less is more Wink
Dominic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: you really think that makes a better cookie?? Reply with quote

It obviously has less ingredients. But less is not necessarily more. I've made that recipe before (when I was much younger) and those cookies don't even compare to the recipe found here. Lacking flour and butter, they turn into hard, crumbly peanut butter discs -- not the chewy peanut butter cookies I'd rather be eating.

I'm all for simple, but quality trumps simplicity in my book Smile
HereandThere123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Peanut butter cookies Reply with quote

I have a substitution question--I need to use agave nectar instead of sugar. The tip on the bottle says to use less of the liquid sweetener and cut the liquids in the recipe. I tried this with another pb cookie recipe recently (please see my blog at http://hereandthere123.blogspot.com for the posting on it), but actually had to add the liquid back in.

Any advice?

Many thanks!

Best,
Deb
P.S. Michael, we eventually went with the Global knives -- I blogged about them, too. Wink
Ray Y

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Spammers Reply with quote

Would it be possible to IP ban these people who's posts consist of little more then: 'come to my blog!'? It's getting a little silly, by memory, there was more then 5 this thread alone. Love the web site though.
Hilk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Dry Reply with quote

The flavor of the cookies is subtle and has that salty hint that I love about peanut butter cookies. However, this recipe is extremely DRY. I thought maybe I overcooked them, but I made another batch and cooked less, they were just as dry. I would probably recommend doubling the batch, but cutting the flour by 1/8 - to a 1/4 of a cup and maybe lowering the temperature to about 370.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dry Reply with quote

Hilk wrote:
The flavor of the cookies is subtle and has that salty hint that I love about peanut butter cookies. However, this recipe is extremely DRY. I thought maybe I overcooked them, but I made another batch and cooked less, they were just as dry. I would probably recommend doubling the batch, but cutting the flour by 1/8 - to a 1/4 of a cup and maybe lowering the temperature to about 370.

or add more butter a stick and a half perhaps per batch.
hitchhiker72

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Good recipe Reply with quote

Just tried this peanut butter cookie recipe and like it a lot. I halved the amount of sugar and it still tastes great.

I divided the dough into two. Baked one batch immediately (couldn't wait Teasing) and refrigerated the other batch to try out the two versions you mentioned.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a very similar recipe for awhile. (My boyfriend's favorite are peanut butter cookies). I've had much better results using all-natural peanut butter from the local co-op. I can buy it in bulk, it's much cheaper, and the texture comes out much better. My boyfriend thinks he hates this kind of peanut butter but when I started to use it in the cookies (as opposed to Jif or Skippy), he said "make them like you did last time again!"
Also, I don't have a mixer so I've been using my food processor to blend all the ingredients, and I get a very smooth, somewhat sticky dough that makes great chewy cookies.
chris waite

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: cookies Reply with quote

The reason why the REST of the world changed to metric is because it is so simple. All measurements, whether solid or liquid or by weight relate perfectly to one another and whoever thought of CUPS as a measuring device should be banned from the kitchen. I'm going to dive right in and make some peanut butter cookies this weekend. I'll use fresh ground chunky peanutbutter. Thanks, Chris. (born Canada now Australian)

PS the ingredients chart at the end of each recipe is inspirational!
shelby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: cookies Reply with quote

Love them to bits!! I made them the instent i found the web site.
THANK YOU!!
SHELBY Big smile Big smile Smile Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: