Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Peanut Butter Cookies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>hersheys cocoa powder. I can not remember how much.

try 1 tablespoon coca per cup of flour.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making this cookies now. They have been really simple so far, and I can't wait to try one.
Janine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Peanut butter cookies worked great Reply with quote

You might be surprised to find your peanut butter recipe has made it all the way to Uganda in Africa now; I am a missionary here and cooked your cookies from this site and they worked wonderfully. I baked them in a wood-fired outdoor oven made from mud and bricks, at about a medium heat. I had to substitute the sugar (here I have what you would call "raw sugar") and used margarine instead of butter. Despite these variations the cookies worked great so you obviously have a very solid recipe. Thanks for the wonderful directions and logical layout. I also love the graphical arrangement of the instructions for the recipe cards and your excellent photographs. I look forward to trying other foods from this webstie. Well done!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: IM in LOVE Reply with quote

Im in looove these are the best i've ever had and come on people "the size" ??really?? Forget the size i'll eat them even if they look like turds! thank you soooo much my family loves me thanks to you!! YOu have a fan in San Antonio, Texas Smile
jim-p

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Peanut Butter Cookies Reply with quote

I've been making soft gingernut biscuits (cookies) for years, and I imagine that I would need to use the same practices as those that I follow for making soft peanut butter cookies.
I add flour to the mix gradually until it is soft but does not stick to the fingers when putting lumps of it onto the baking tray. Too much flour and the biscuits turn out dry and hard.
Making balls is too fussy for me - I just put lumps (which would be about 1 inch diameter if I made them into balls) onto the tray, and don't even bother flattening them - they flatten naturally in the oven.
All ovens are not the same! Times and temperatures given in recipes should be used as starting points, and varied to get the desired results. If the oven is too hot, the mixture (for my gingernuts) flows and cooks into a "fried egg" type puddle.
I find that cooking at a low temperature (about 150 deg C, the gingernuts do not brown unless I turn the oven to "Grill" and get some top radiant heating onto them.

Here in New Zealand, our butter comes in 500 gram packs with the wrapper marked in 50 gram divisions. the concept of cups of butter is strange to me.

Regards,

Jim.
Cookiecrazed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an amazing recipe! Best peanut butter coookies I've ever had! Perfectly soft and chewy . YUM!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried this recipe with two small changes. I added in about 40g each of chips and dried cranberries, then reduce the sugars by 20g each to compensate. I measured sugar and flour out on a scale. had some issues with my brown sugar because it was in clumps and wasnt mixing well so that too a while. Anyways, I formed 1.1in balls but ended up with 37 of them. Not sure what happened, maybe my scale is bad, or my ruler. still came out good.
matthew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: a little dry Reply with quote

I am new to cooking and baking. My cookies came out a little dry.
When I pushed the dough ball flat with a fork, it broke up into several peaces. I was able to push them back together and it remained one peace, but in general I feel like it was a little dry. After baking, I felt the same way. It was definitely sugary and ~soft, but it was almost too soft with no cohesiveness - the cookie easily fell apart.

Given these properties, what do you think i may have added a little too much of or too little of or done wrong? Anyone got any ideas?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: a little dry Reply with quote

matthew wrote:
When I pushed the dough ball flat with a fork, it broke up into several peaces. I was able to push them back together and it remained one peace, but in general I feel like it was a little dry. After baking, I felt the same way. It was definitely sugary and ~soft, but it was almost too soft with no cohesiveness - the cookie easily fell apart.

What brand (and type) of peanut butter did you use? I like to use Jif. I haven't tried it, but some other brands seem "drier" (less fat) which would result in a crumblier dough.
Athena

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: The perfect peanut butter cookie Reply with quote

I have been using this peanut butter cookie recipe for years. The only difference is I add a 1/2 tsp vanilla but otherwise its spot on. I have tried it with creamy and crunchy, cashew butter, almond butter.. They're everyone's favorite - from peanut butter lovers to people who don't normally like peanut butter.

I also enjoy making pb&j sandwiches out of them.

Best,

Athena the Systems Ecologist & Biologist.
Fawnet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Best recipe for peanut butter cookies, hands down. Reply with quote

I've had this recipe in my arsenal for about two years now, and everyone thinks the cookies are unusually good. A friend who doesn't notice food much at all, still stopped eating to comment that they were "awesome".

As a side note, I made a batch tonight and forgot to put the eggs in; I couldn't figure out, at first, why the first tray kept breaking so easily. I corrected it and mixed the eggs into the remainder of the dough, but you know, I liked that first trayful and may do it on purpose sometime. They were like a pecan sandy, only with a rich peanut flavor. They broke like crazy, but I think you could get around that just by making the cookies smaller.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nearly identical to my Grandfather's recipe. He was the cookie baker in our family and the peanut butter was one of his two favorites. I have his recipe cards--now old, brittle, yellowed and decorated with lots of spills. Thanks to you for revealing the method behind his repeated edits lowering the temperature. We never knew why he edited the recipe in that direction--LOL--we just knew they were good. Gpa was an accountant, but his 2 sons were both engineers. RIP Gpa (1900-1987).B
Mister_Rob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: I'm really impressed! Reply with quote

This is such a simple, direct recipe and the cookies turned out great! I used chunky peanut butter for an extra layer of crunchy dimension and followed your advice on cooking without refrigerating for a light crispy texture. I like my cookies sweet, so this was perfect!
mimi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Peanut butter cookies Reply with quote

Skippy? No thanks. Try Laura Scudder's Old Fashioned Peanut Butter. I prefer the "smooth" for cookies. Yes, you need to stir up the Scudder's because the oil separates, but that's what oil DOES under normal circumstances. Just mix the oil in when you first open the jar, then refrigerate the peanut butter and the oil will not separate again. My never-fail recipe from a 1937 cookbook calls for: 1/2 c. shortening, 1/3 c. peanut butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 egg, 1 1/2 cups white flour, 1 t. soda, 1/2 t. salt, 1/2 t. vanilla. Mix it all together, roll the dough into 1" dia. balls, then flatten with a fork. Bake at 350°F for 10-12 min. The opinions of hundreds of people are, "These are GOOD." (Of course everybody used Crisco for the "shortening" until we learned that Crisco was a no-no; you can use butter. Oil? Not too good. The texture is different. Honestly? Crisco works best.
CookieLover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Crispy but chewy? Reply with quote

Hi there.

I love your site especially the little charts at the end!
I saw this recipe and wanted to know if there's a way to make a hard and crispy cookie but with a interior chew. I remember having some like this in lemon or peanut butter with a when I was in elementary school that came with our school lunch. They were really large and had a cracked appearance on the top.
All the recipes I've tried are either soft and chewy or hard and crispy.

Thanks in advance!

CookieLover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: