Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cars
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What brand of automobile do you own?
Honda
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Toyota
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Kia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ford
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Mercury
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
A GM owned company
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Luxury( Lexus,BMW,etc.)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 12

youngcook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Cars Reply with quote

I will ask what brand you use most(or of your vehicles, which company do you like best)?Respond to which model you own if you want.(esp. eltonyo) And how many cars do you have? How many of a particular company?
Why do you like those cars?
I love Honda. Do you all? What are your favorite companies(dumb old americans or greatly made japanese or luxury)?
ENJOY! Big smile
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars Reply with quote

youngcook wrote:
I will ask what brand you use most(or of your vehicles, which company do you like best)?Respond to which model you own if you want.(esp. eltonyo) And how many cars do you have? How many of a particular company?
Why do you like those cars?
I love Honda. Do you all? What are your favorite companies(dumb old americans or greatly made japanese or luxury)?
ENJOY! Big smile

I only own a few at the moment and have owned about 30 total over the years.

I have a close affinity to old VW bugs and Buses, pre-'67. I have the same love for older Chrysler products such as Valiants, Newports, Fury and other models.

My daily driver is a 1999 Dodge Dakota that I bought new. I bought it for the smaller truck size and the v8 mated to a 5 speed & traction lok rear end. After 8 years I just rolled over 60,000 miles. My only real complaint is the absolutely lousy clear cloat quality. It started to burn out just before 3 years. As near as I can guess is they may have been experimenting with a dumb water-based polyurethane for a few years. I see trucks near the age of mine and they all have severe clear coat damage. Ah well.

If I were to buy a new passenger car, it'd most certainly be a Honda. My driving has increased maybe 3x over the last 4 months and looked in to the Honda Fit. The base price seems to start at 15k and to be honest, I have a hard time driving around something that's worth that much with today's drivers being so in tune with their fricken cell phones. Meandering pinheads.

One factor for my choice in the larger vehicles is the protection they offer in collisions. I've been in many over the years. 1 collision nearly took my legs off and left me in bed for 3 months with a fractured pelvis. I'd been t-boned in a 69 bug by a 67 bonneville. I like to have some steel around me with a large engine in front.

That being said, I'd trade it all in a second for a decent hydrogen powered rig, something similar. I'm not all that impressed with the all the oil we import. This needs to change!

If I had to only keep one car that I sold years ago, it'd be the 1969 plymouth satellite. It had a 383 with a 4 speed and chopped mufflers. Some old wagon wheel style mags with a black interior and a blue exterior. I could pull away at 90 in 3rd gear with enough force to give you the giggles.

Says, the Biggles
youngcook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Civic or Accord? Those are good. If you have 3 kids, I would look into the new OdysseyTouring. It is excellent. I got a really nice one: Black w/ Ivory interior and standard dvd in the rear but I got no nav. Smile Enjoy.

Last edited by youngcook on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngcook wrote:
What about the Civic or Accord? Those are good. If you have 3 kids, I would look into the new Odyssey EXL. It is excellent. I got a really nice one(slate green, but I truly love black). Smile Enjoy.

Accord is too fancy, don't need or want all that stuff. I'd be happy with a badass engine, tight suspension, large brakes and plain old crank up windows. No radio, no nothin'. All this in a color that blends in with traffic.

Biggles
youngcook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even the LX? What about the Civic?That ain't too fancy. I am not too crazy about the Ridgeline or the suv's.The Odyssey EX or bare bottom LX are very cheap. Big smile Your kind of cars ain't around no more. I have a '98 Truck with crankup windows but everything now is power. That's the style man. Honda's are all "fancy" and very safe.Enjoy! Big smile
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngcook wrote:
Not even the LX? What about the Civic?That ain't too fancy. I am not too crazy about the Ridgeline or the suv's.The Odyssey EX or bare bottom LX are very cheap. Big smile Your kind of cars ain't around no more. I have a '98 Truck with crankup windows but everything now is power. That's the style man. Honda's are all "fancy" and very safe.Enjoy! Big smile

Yeah, I ain't hip to that ridgeline thing either. The civic would be fine. Wonder why the fit only comes in 1k less than the civic? Looks like for 1k more, I get more power and a larger car. I wonder if you can special order a stripped version anymore? Or is it all by packages. Ah well.

Biggles
youngcook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably could if you get a fabric interior Civic ( I have had, and still do have a fabric interior '94 Accord). I love leather( as I said I have a
Odyssey )Also, get nothing special. Negotiate online( I did and got a bare-back Touring) and say exactly what you want. Big smile

Last edited by youngcook on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ishbel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a TVR Tuscan.
youngcook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool car I see. Big smile
Ishbel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a cool person.
youngcook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. Your car is cooler than mine. Your username makes me picture a woman. Are you the kind of person ( woman ) that shops a lot at fashion stores? Big smile And, if you are a woman, are you very cool looking and pretty? Big smile
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI fueled with B99 (Biodiesel)
youngcook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. You have got a new car. I do.They're great aren't they?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite part about it (besides the diesel engine) is the MP3 CD Player. I can listen to a whole unabridged (or two or three) book without changing CD's.
Pickles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a Honda Accord Euro I believe its called the Acura TSX in the US

Wonderful car to drive, very fuel efficient, very nice inside, sporty, aggressive styling but not too aggressive, nice leather seating, wonderful handling.

Very very nice car.
I also want a layland mini (not the basterdised version BMW produced!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum