Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Soda-Club (SodaStream)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigloutx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Soda-Club Refill Adapter Reply with quote

At www.omegatactical.net there's an adapter that allows you to refill your own carbonator ALCO2Jet bottles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Nimbu Pani Reply with quote

Here is the basics of my favorite club soda recipe, also known as fresh lime soda in India, which is based on Nimbu Pani (translation: Lemon Water). Basically, it's special ingredient is a special kind of black salt.

Lemons
Sugar
Club soda
Black Salt (in India this is known as Nanak and it is a finely ground, greyish mauve color with a salty sulfur flavor). Black salt is easy to find in most Indian or South Asian grocery stores, but if it's not a *warm* shade of grey, it might not be good quality I have found.

You add fresh lemon juice to roughly equal parts sugar and allow it to dissolve the granules. Once the syrup is formed add club soda to taste and black salt to taste. Be careful when adding the black salt as it will create a lot of bubbles, so stir it in very slowly. Serve immediately with or without ice.

I find the key to this recipe is adding enough black salt and sugar in combination to balance the acid from the lemons.

The syrup created from the sugar and lemon juice by itself will keep for many days in the fridge (exactly how many (I'll leave to somebody else to say) and can be added to club soda with black salt in a pinch.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: quick champagne Reply with quote

In grad school I used seltzer syphons from the 1920s to 50s that I bought at yardsales or swapmeets to transform cheap wine into "champagne". Downside: expensive little CO2 cartridges, big seltzer bottles in fridge, and occasional seltzer bottle breakage mishaps in the fridge. But I got to thinking about how much fun it was, so I started looking at new ones online, including at target.com this weekend. (I haven't seen a seltzer syphon at a yardsale for years.)
Then I saw the Fountain Jet version of the machine described here yesterday at Sams Club for $59.xx. I was totally surprised to see this, and of course bought one. It was cheaper than the Isi syphon bottle online.

I tried it today with Blackbox chardonnay It produced a nice dry "champagne". Hint: after carbonating in machine, wait until bubbles clear from wine, and foam on top subsides, and release pressure slowly to avoid mess. It may work better with dry than sweet wines - time to experiment!
tantris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: PET not Polycarbonate Reply with quote

According to the sodaclub website, their bottles are PET not polycarbonate.
(Important if you think avoiding BPA is a good thing)

Source: http://www.sodaclubusa.com/prodinfo.htm
Lizzie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Add Organic Flavrz to soda machine Reply with quote

I am so excited to find out about this soda machine! I have been using an organic concentrated drink mix called flavrz that you add to still or sparkling water. I love the idea of this so instead of buying the carb. water I can make my own flavrz soda drinks! And there are only 30 calories to a serving and its organic! I think I found a winner! Can't wait to give it a try! Cool
Lizzie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Organic Flavrz with soda machine Reply with quote

You can find Organic Flavrz at www.flavrzdrinkmix.com Cool . It is really delicious and is sweetend with agave.
lucrece

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: sodaclubrefill.com Reply with quote

BEWARE. I recently purchased an "adapter" from sodaclubrefill.com that told me I would be able to adapt my Soda Club CO2 tanks to refill with any standard CO2 filling station. After waiting months (production was far behind schedule) I received my adapter only to find out that this was only HALF of what I needed to do the refill and that I would additionally have to purchase another $60 item (I already spent $50) to actually refill the bottles. Now they have added a warning text to their website to tell people about this (after several complaints no doubt) but this warning did NOT exist when I ordered in May and they actually admit this!!

When I sent an email stating that I felt I was mislead about the product, they immediately responded that they "did not like my tone" and I could "pursue whatever action I wanted" but they did not care.

WOW.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so there's no miscommunication: the website referenced in the previous comment (sodaclubrefill.com) is not affiliated with SodaClub or SodaStream. The website looks unprofessional as well.
schneid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Expensive product with lousy service Reply with quote

I thought this was a good idea until I received the product and my first refill order. The Soda maker is very flimsy and won’t last for long. The carbonator refills are very expensive. Customer support is non-existent. You cannot find out when an item is coming as they don’t provide tracking. They are very slow in filling their orders. My first supply order was for five bottles of syrup and two more plastic storage bottles. Three leaked out in the box and the plastic spare bottles were omitted from the order. The instructions for measuring syrup are vague and customer support gave me four different answers. They are basically clueless and are unable to answer questions and solve problems.
The product is great idea with lousy execution. I would stay clear. I am going to take advantage of their 100% 30-day satisfaction guarantee and send it all back.
lucrece

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Yes, sodaclubrefill.com is the problem, not Soda Stream Reply with quote

To follow-up on the previous warning for anyone who might purchase from Sodaclubrefill.com:
The merchant agreed to issue a refund so that I would return the item, then, after I reported it had been mailed, sent an email saying that he now refuses to issue a refund based upon my negative (and truthful) review of my experience with his company. His exact words are:

"We will not be
refunding anything. Your attempts at badmouthing us serves as proof that you are an illiterate idiot who has buyer's remorse because you can't read a simple ad. You are an immature liar! Enjoy your valve!
Don't make the big mistake of continuing to libel us. It will be a costly
battle you cannot afford!
Punk!"

Yes, it seriously ended with Punk.
sodaclubrefill.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: lucrece's rants Reply with quote

What "lucrece" neglected to mention was her demanding and extortive tone to her emails. We do NOT succomb to extortion or vile demands, all due to Ms Lucrece Borrego's inability to comprehend detailed product information.

In spite of her unnecessary threats and toxic demands, we gave her the benefit of the doubt by offering her a refund. Instead of accepting this offer and writing the incident off as a simple consumer misunderstanding, she proceeded to libel our good name in this and many other forums for the sole malicious purpose of harming a good business. It is lamentable that Ms. Borrego's acts are one of the root causes for most consumer prices to skyrocket and make it impossible for small business people to conduct an honorable business.

Our satisfied customers on our website and user forum are indicative of the quality and care we take in producing a product.

It is unfortunate that Ms. Borrego's extortive techniques will only fail and serve no other purpose other than to illustrate her school age immaturity. Please stop by our website at sodaclubrefill.com and see for yourself that we have a great product that can save you alot of money on CO2 Refills.
sodaclubrefill.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Website Evaluation Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
Just so there's no miscommunication: the website referenced in the previous comment (sodaclubrefill.com) is not affiliated with SodaClub or SodaStream. The website looks unprofessional as well.

Thank You Mr. Chu, I did not realize we were trying to meet YOUR standards of website quality. I suppose that in your world a website must meet certain "CHU" criteria for it to be considered "professional". Are your "professional" services available so we can meet your criteria? Or should we just assube that you had nothing nice to say and chose to say something instead?

Really, I would be interested in your definition of "professional" and how Ms. Borrego's vile attacks correlate with any justification for your comments and disclaimer. Incidentally, we have a disclaimer that clearly states our non affiliation with Soda-Club or SodaStream.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Website Evaluation Reply with quote

sodaclubrefill.com wrote:
Thank You Mr. Chu, I did not realize we were trying to meet YOUR standards of website quality. I suppose that in your world a website must meet certain "CHU" criteria for it to be considered "professional". Are your "professional" services available so we can meet your criteria? Or should we just assube that you had nothing nice to say and chose to say something instead?

-blink-blink- Are we really doing this? Looking at your own site, do you feel like your website meets YOUR standards of quality? I don't mind that a lot of the web looks like it's slapped together. Not everyone can afford a graphic designer or has in-house talent that can put together a snazzy website. I'm pleased to find that you've attempted to fill your website with content (something sorely lacking in many websites - both "pretty/professional" and "sloppy/amateur"). However, I'm a little surprised that you don't know that your site looks like it was a bit thrown together. Not all websites need to look professional to me, but if a site (that is the sole form of representation for a business - since you don't provide phone ordering) looks amateur then that is a cause for comment.

sodaclubrefill.com wrote:
Really, I would be interested in your definition of "professional" and how Ms. Borrego's vile attacks correlate with any justification for your comments and disclaimer. Incidentally, we have a disclaimer that clearly states our non affiliation with Soda-Club or SodaStream.

I felt that Ms. Borrego's comment may be easily misconstrued to be referring to Soda-Club's service or website to the casual reader. So, I chose to clarify it. My comments on the appearance on the sodaclubrefill.com site are my own opinion and I don't see why it was inappropriate for me to state them. In no way did I support Ms. Borrego's complaints or arguments.
sodaclubrefill.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Evaluation Reply with quote

Thank You for your opinion Mr. Chu, it is refreshing to see that such a "Professional" as yourself can evaluate the "professionalism" of an organization by the look of a website.

I suppose that in "Chu's World" a website put slapped together (as you put it) by disabled children selling pencils would be equally labled as unprofessional and merit the same crass assessment.

Sir, my opinion is that you are a very frustrated professional that has spent way too much time on the geekdom high-horse. Is there an axe you're grinding here or just feel the need to satisfy your ego by offering your jabs and criticism?

Our monetary resources are best spen on delivering a quality product FIRST. No amount of website candy can benefit a customer if the product is substandard. Frankly, customer's could care less about pretty sites, they want value for their hard earned Dollar. As a Californian, of all people YOU should be uniquely astute in that area.

Truly, we invite all constructive criticism. Yours is duly noted, at least the constructive parts which is still up for debate. As for the professionalism aspect, perhaps a better choice of words would have gone much further in making your points.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear sodaclub -

don't forget, all the search engines will be turning up your messages - you've done more damage to your own reputation than anyone else around here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: