Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Kitchen Knives
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirSpice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a Wusthof chef's knife and paring knife once. I didn't like either of them. The handles felt cheap and both were relatively dull.

My goto knives are the Global G2 8", Tojiro DP 300mm gyuto, TFS cleaver, and Hattori 150mm parer. My hobby is sharpening them so they're all extremely sharp. I use the G2 for most stuff, the Tojiro for slicing bread and meat, the TFS for misc jobs (crushing garlic, tenderizing beef, cutting and scraping dough), and the Hattori parer for fine cuts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: cutco is the BEST!!! Reply with quote

Geez... I love my cutco. Smile
Aussie_Pete

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Ryusen Blazen vs. Hiromoto Tenmi-Jyuraku Aogami Super Reply with quote

I've read a lot on this forum and others, and researched quite a lot of different brands/manufacturers/materials/prices, and I've shortlisted Ryusen's Blazen and Hiromoto's Tenmi-Jyuraku Aogami Super for my next two everyday knives (a Petty 150mm and a Gyoto 240mm).

Anyone got opinions on/comments about/experience with either of these that could help me make the final decision?

Thanks!

PS. I've had a blue steel 240mm Deba from Watanabe for a few years now. Awesome knife! Scary sharp, holds an edge forever. Initially found it hard to get used to the concave back, tho.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Cutco isn't quality, are you sure? Reply with quote

10 years and i have never seen a single chef who uses cutco knives. The reason for that is they are not quality.
Henkel, Wustoff and Victoria knox are pretty much the most popular standard western knives.>

I've avoided posting on these formums for a long time based on the reaction given by both Cutco lovers and haters but I've got to handle this comment.
Very few pro. chefs use Cutco for a couple reasons. Many chefs receive discounts or are even paid to use popular brands, Cutco does not. Also Cutco is marketed towards in-home use and spends zero dollars or time trying to attract pro Chefs while

P.S.
It's spelled Henckels(and Wusthof) and the steel and the tempering process used on Henckels knives is almost identical to that Cutco's so the statement that Cutco lacks quality would probably be a little strong( I can give details on both companies manufacturing procedures if anyone is interested)
Jason B.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Restaurant Knifes Reply with quote

Cutco isn't that bad for certain applications but you won't see pro Chef's using them, some of you guys are right.

Not all Japanese Knifes are an easy solution on a large level, like average restaurant chains that need to supply large networks with 100's or 1000's of locations.

I ran across a http://ablekitchen.com Retaurant Supplies company recently that has a decent selection of restaurant application knifes as well as high end, not to mention I can find the rest of the supplies I need to stock up on at the same time.
new to knives

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for a Chef knife Reply with quote

My wife would to get a chef's knife (used primarily for chopping veggies) for Christmas, but I am not sure what to get. I have read this forum, but even looking at some of the major brands that have been listed here multiple times, there are quite a few knives to choose from. (In reviewing Wusthof knives, they have 9 different lines of knives.) To assist in the recommendations, I prefer to keep my purchase to around US$100. What would y'all recommend?

Thank you for your input! Smile

Merry Christmas,

JT
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT -

the biggest issue is not brand name - it's how the knife fits your hand.

all the new & different & improved & <insert more marketing hype here> handle "designs" may not suit the user. I recently saw a new 'designer' line from Porsche. well, believe me those knives would sure stay sharp in my kitchen - simply because I can't imagine trying to get my hand around that degree of uncomfortable looking fashion . . . nor do I even try on shoes with little pointy toes.

in that price range, look for a forged blade, tang that goes completely through (lengthwise) the handle. 8" is a good length for a 'starter'

past that, since it's a gift I'd look for a store that will allow for an exchange if it feels unmanageable her her hand - or lessen the surprise and take her along to heft / feel / grasp / smooze the knife for her own opinion.

obviously it would be a bit on the less than reasonable side to expect to exchange a knife after a month's use . . . so "testing" is advisable.
archangelptx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Cutco Reply with quote

If anyone wants Cutco, I'm a representative working to help pay for school, so I wouldn't mind you giving me an e-mail if you want to order and help me out =P. It's archangelptx@gmail.com, and I give great deals! =)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: knives Reply with quote

"the biggest issue is not brand name - it's how the knife fits your hand. "

I think the biggest issue really is the skill of the person using the knife.

just thinking about this, and realized that you are talking about the wrong stuff. I think skills are far more important than the knives themselves. A good skill base is more important than the knife itself, although the knife better be sharp.

this is my personal workhorse. I've re-shaped the edge to be a single bevel. Less than a minute on a stone every morning and its sharper than factory edges.

Korin

If your concerned with looks don't even bother. It will stain. Its made from high carbon steel, this stuff has been used in blades before stainless was even a thought, and I can't find a reason use anything different. I can personally recomend suisin because its been in my hands for many hours a day for 2 years. Its one of the heavier knives out there with the thickest spine I've seen with a few exceptions. I prefer heavy knives though. Its the best $100 i have ever spent.

I owned a shun and within a week it was put into retirement because of the edge chipping. I have no idea why but it scared the hell out of me thinking of metal chips in someones food. I straightened the edge out and put it in the retired knife box.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: I bought my Knives from Salamander Reply with quote

Another great article! I bought my kitchen Knives from Salamander Cookshop. I wasn't sure what quality or type of knives to get so I rang them up. They very helpful and I ended up spending a lot less than I expected. I am not sure if they are the cheapest but I have used them before for various kitchen products and they have a great customer service.

I have added a link to their knife section:
http://www.salamandercookshop.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3
Knife-Lover's Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Cooking Knife Reference or Resource? Reply with quote

Good Day all!
I have a dear friend that has pulled together an amazing collection of cooking knives, japanese, italian, german, american, etc., from paring to Chef, as well as some amazing specialty knives with carved blades.
I would love to find a reference or resource (other than this amazing site) to give him for his birthday - something that tells the purpose, specialty, and history of different blades. Does that exist?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Chefs knife Reply with quote

Messermeister is my knife of choice
k1w1 cooker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: geisser knives Reply with quote

I have aquired a set of geisser knives for my training as a chef, i started about 4 months ago and these kives seem to be doing a good job but i have not used many different brands. I'm considering buying a mid range set soon or saving and buying a top set when i graduate (in about 18 months). Any feed back? i have heard from other chefs that sabituer is a very good brand ay feed back on this?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Ceramic Knife the best! Reply with quote

I was never able to afford Kyocera's prices and I always found their knives to be too thin, flimsy and awkward designs so I came up with a much better quality, design, price and is Eco Green too http://www.BestCeramicKnife.com mine are much better, thicker, comes in a nice box and is only $25, $45, $55!
Bob Gammon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Chicago cutlery Reply with quote

Why not just buy Consumers recommended Chicago cutlery knives and then use a Chefchoice electric sharpner (also highly praised) and hone and sharpen when necessary?? Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: