Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Additives
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: CO adverse effect Reply with quote

I don't think there is an adverse health effect from the CO itself. I think the main objection is that the meat is in effect dyed (not technically so, but the effect is the same) It's like buying fruits and veggies that have been gassed to look ripe, but haven't really developed the sugars by ripening. So you think you are getting super fresh meat, but you are not.
I don't know if the other things you listed are used to process foods. Argon? Is that used to purge oxygen in packaging? (I know it is used in industrial furnaces.)
I do know that some of the processes used to package, preserve and ship foods do so at the expense of flavor (and sometimes to benefit it). Like the wet processing of scallops, really ruins the flavor. The benefit to the seller is that the scallops hold more water. The downside for the buyer is they are paying for water, and for a nasty tasting additive.
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Food processing Reply with quote

Actually, Thor opened up a subject that has always held great interest to me, not really from a health or tastiness concern, but out of curiousity. (well, a little from a tastiness concern.)
How is food processed? I'm not talking so much about prepared food, but of simple produce, flour, meats, fish, dairy.
I love to take factory tours. One summer many years ago I was doing a community cable show, and one of our (unfinished, as far as I know) projects was to go to a local apple orchard, and follow the process of tending the orchards, harvesting, processing and storing. There was a lot to it. I believe they too used CO, though I'm not sure, some gas, to remove oxygen during storage to slow down ripening. The fruit was held in just above freezing coolers and the oxygen was removed. Big, serious signs warned the workers that death would occur within 5 minutes if they stayed in the coolers once the oxygen was removed.
It was really fascinating.
I'd love to hear from anyone experienced in the food industry about what happens in between the field and the grocery store. And what professional food people think about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Additive list Reply with quote

Where is this list? All I can find is the comments about ingredients on the list. Please post a link to the additve list. Thank you.
elizaguest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: where is the list? Reply with quote

For some reason I can't see the list, the rest of the page is blank. I don't think it is my computer, because I have been browsing your site all evening. But I doubt it is the site, for other people seem to have been able to read it. Is it in invisible cyberink?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm sorry - there's a bug that's causing the additives list to not load. I've got it on my list of bugs to fix. Sorry for everyone who arrived hoping to see the list! I'll get it fixed soon!
The Yakima Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Bakewell Cream Reply with quote

I use sodium acid pyrophosphate, available in home size containers as "Bakewell Cream", as a leavener; both the regular and the starch free versions can be ordered on the Internet.

In behavior this product is in between cream of tartar-baking soda mixes (formerly marketed pre-combined as "single acting baking powder") and double acting baking powders.
The Yakima Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Food processing Reply with quote

Lintballoon wrote:
I'd love to hear from anyone experienced in the food industry about what happens in between the field and the grocery store. And what professional food people think about it.

My thoughts are very positive regarding the safety of foods produced here in the United States. One thing that irks me is that processed food has been so safe for so long that the education system in this country abandoned the once traditional junior high and high school life skills courses that covered such subjects as safe food preparation. This has lead to people under cooking ground beef or drinking unpasteurized milk and juices because they are completely unaware of the very real risks involved.

Not all processing involves exotic additives or esoteric processes. Much of it is simple freezing or retort canning.

In short, food processing in effect "idiot proofed" most common dietary items, and the knowledge of food risks and food borne illnesses and their prevention seems to have been lost.
Laurie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: List Reply with quote

This list is still missing. Do you know when it will be back up and running. Or can I get an email copy of it.

letsgo.sens@gmail.com

Thanks
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: List Reply with quote

Laurie wrote:
This list is still missing. Do you know when it will be back up and running.

Got it working again. Thanks for being patient.
leffty013

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Calcium Disodium EDTA and Lactic Acid Reply with quote

Calcium Disodium EDTA and Lactic Acid can both cause an allergic reaction in sensitive individuals. I react strongly to either one and they should be avoided by anyone with a milk allergy. Pretty much anything with any part of the words Lactic, Calcium(some are safe, derived from oranges or minerals), or Casien is on my avoid list.
aztekium

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Avoiding harmful food additives Reply with quote

When buying food I always look carefully at ingriedients list on packages.
I installed an application on my iPhone which gives me detailed information on each additive: origin, usage, danger, side effects, ...

There are many applications for iPhone around but I chose this one because it allows for the definitio of a user profile based on some personal characteristics, lifestyle and health conditions.
Then it highlights the additives that are considered critical for the user's profile.
The name of the application is Personal Food Additives.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/personal-food-additives/id403669239?mt=8

Has anybody experienced other applications?
chanman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Delete this post

You might want to add that Annatto is the traditional colouring agent for orange (as opposed to white) cheddar cheese. (And therefore extremely commonly encountered, I suppose)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: