Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: NSF Certification
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ameriware is excellent cookware. I bought a set from the Post Exchange when I was in the military about 5 or 6 years ago. It is an excellent buy. The only problem I have had with it is that my mother-in-law's drunk of a boyfriend came to my house and scratched up one of my pans by ccoking in it with a fork. He was obviously drunk at the time, since everybody knows Ameri-ware doesn't stick, so you only need to use a fork in it if you are an idiot. I am also pretty sure that he had to apply a fair degree of force in order to scratch up my pan like he did. Obviosly, my mother-in-law's drunk boyfreind isn't allowed at my house any more. Remarkably, this pan still cooks well and doesnt stick, even though it is scratched up and not as aestetically pleasing as I would prefer. I learned two lessons: Hide the good stuff when your drunk in-laws come to visit, and buy one quality product today so that you won't have to buy more in the future. Also, cooking with Ameri-ware is just plain easier than cooking with other pots and pans that I have had over the years. My wife has alot of other pots and pans, but I never cook with any of them because these are so much better.
McBride

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Ameriware Pans Reply with quote

I purchased a set of Ameriware Pans from Costco over two years ago. I have been completely satisfied with every pan. They perform just as the sales pitch claimed; they are attractive, and they clean up easily. (I replaced a set of waterless anodized aluminum pans that I had purchased in the 70s.) I enjoy cooking and believe you need good "tools" to do a top rate job.
Canada TOO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Ameriware Reply with quote

I, too, have been impressed at our local Costco with Ameriware Cookware. I've read many of the posts and have to say I am confused as anyone. I would like to know about their non-stick substance and whether it is Teflon disguised.

I did check the NSF and found all the Ameriware (Vollrath, I believe) -- all 32 pieces -- certified.

I'll be honest: just knowing that the cookware is Made in Wisconsin instead of China where everything else is produced (badly) made me very inclined to invest in at least the Chicken Fryer. I will keep surfing the Internet for answers to the non-stick question.
shorton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Princess House Stainless Steel Reply with quote

Princess House stainless steel is the best. I love all the sizes, beauty, and they are non-stick.
CQE Chef

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't emphasis enough the importance of good tempered, carbon-steel knives - they don't have to be German, but two of the best brands are (and are expensive). Many people end up with too many knives, spending over $2000 for a collection of blades that, for the most part, won't be touched.

You really only need the following:

Santoku chef knife
bread knife
medium knife
carving fork

You'll find that you end up using the santoku chef knife about 95% of the time - long and medium kitchen knives are helpful, but you'll quickly find out that if you have a really good chef knife you won't use anything else.
Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Ameriware fry pan Reply with quote

I purchased an 8" Ameriware fry pan that is now 5 years old. I use the pan about three times a week and cook everything from stirfries to omellets in it. It has one small scratch that my son put in the pan from cutting a steak in the pan. Other than that the pan has held up to what the salesman has stated. It is by far the best pan I have ever purchased. I found your web site serching for a 11" wok to purchase from Ameriware. Just my two cents.
latino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: ameriware Reply with quote

Do not buy Ameriware frying pans. The price is ridiculous. The VP of the company has a serious attitude when the products need to be replaced. Way better off with T-fal and get the same results. Anger
Edward

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: still good Reply with quote

I've had the pans now for about 2 years (see my previous post), and they are still holding up. The outsides are a bit dirty from sticking food, but the pans are good. we only cook about 3 or 4 times a month, but are still happy with them.

Oh, and the character confirmation thing here is funny Teasing
LOKO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Titanware cookware Reply with quote

My wife and I just bought a set of Titanware cookware at Sam's Club. It is titanium-based and has the NSF seal. Also comes with a 30 year warranty. We were impressed with the demo, and the price -- only $288 for a 12-pc set.

After reading through this post, it sounds like it is extremely similar, if not identical to, the Ameriware/Vollrath brand. And, like others on this thread, I'm concerned about the manufacturing process and use of perfluorochemicals -- PFC's or PTFE's.

Unfortunately I can find absolutely no information on the Titanware brand (other than their own web site). Nothing on BBB.org or NSF.org, and almost no hits via Google search. I think the cookware is good, but I do not like the fact that I can find NO information on this brand or company. Like others have mentioned, it makes an otherwise appealing "quality" product look like a scam. And no one wants to be scammed.

Does anyone know anything about Titanware, or if they operate under a different name? Thanks!
Pete Martin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Ameriware - try to get them to call back! Reply with quote

I have to agree with some on the forum regarding Ameriware's lack of response. I called them the other day to ask about buildup on my pans that I can't scrub out and it's causing things to stick.

I too bought mine from Costco about 3-4 years ago. Great up to that point. Even seasoning the pans didn't prevent this ultimate buildup, so I'm not sure what to do about it. Haven't go the receipt anymore Sad

Just my 2 cents.
Don

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Pro-HG Vollrath pans Reply with quote

We have owned a full set of these pans for around 5 years and wanted a few more individual ones. We love them. They were being sold at the state fair here and when we got home, I wanted to see if the price was comparable. That is when I found this site. In short summary:
1. The "no Teflon" sales angle is a stretch because they are not using specifically the Teflon brand of chemical, but they are using something that is almost the same, and thus has the same issues. The ceramic and titanium components seem accurate and appear to be what makes the pseudo Teflon material more durable.
2. Do not use metal utensils. You will scratch it. They do however have much better scratch resistance than any other pan I have ever owned. The few scratches that we do have do not seem to negatively affect the non stick ability.
3. The set of utensils they sell are also very good, and are better than what you will find at the local grocery store.
4. The lids are a waste of time. They stain, are hard to hold, and don't vent very well. I use normal lids from other pans.
5. The pans get daily use, and are washed in the dishwasher, leaving the rubber covers on and the handles raised a bit to prevent water from collecting. There seems to be no rust or slim under them. The instructions say to re-season them if cleaned in a dishwasher. I use oil and/or butter in just about everything, so that isn't a problem. I suspect that if I just threw in an egg without butter, it would stick.
6. If you can buy these pans through Costco, do so, as their return policy is the best. As to the 25 year guarantee, it doesn't cover normal wear and tear, scratches, massive overheating or anything else that is user caused.
7. Don't clean these in the oven using the oven's self clean feature!!!

I am still a bit bummed out because I thought they were made of some space age high tech ceramic, but turned out to be made with a Teflon similar substance. I will now tell friends to buy them, in that they are the best darn TEFLON pans you will ever own. Aside from the sarcasm, I really will keep these. There are very good pans when treated kindly. Now I just need to go find out if the price I paid at the fair was fair.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank all of you for all of your comments and research. I bought the large ameriware frying pan and think that it is a fabulous cooking pan. Unfortunately I was lead to beleive that there was no PTFE. Having now realized that there is...thanks to some of you, I will return it to Costco as it is simply not good for your health. I do have a similiar pan with the titanium/ ceramic that I purchased through Pampered Chef. Fantastic , more expensive..I will find out if it has PTFE in the coating and get back to you all

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guest wrote:
Just wanted to thank all of you for all of your comments and research. I bought the large ameriware frying pan and think that it is a fabulous cooking pan. Unfortunately I was lead to beleive that there was no PTFE. Having now realized that there is...thanks to some of you, I will return it to Costco as it is simply not good for your health. I do have a similiar pan with the titanium/ ceramic that I purchased through Pampered Chef. Fantastic , more expensive..I will find out if it has PTFE in the coating and get back to you all

haha.. seems like a nice attempt to market Pampered Chef. =P

I have the pizza stone, but I am thinking about the Ameriware from Costco
Guest-Costco Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god this is confusing. Regardless of the potential health hazard, I just want to know if the non-stick surface lasts on the Vollrath set. Some say it holds up for a few years at least, some says it's no better than a cheap non-stick pan and some are probably so afraid of the health concerns they never use them if they even bought them.

Would the people who are saying they stick after a year please say what type of utensils they used in the pan? Would be people that love these things please come forward. Would the chemists please state up front whether you've used the product or not and how they know which chemicals are used for which product. Thanks to the posts that have done this, we need more like them.

Just don't know what to believe and logically I should just avoid the set. The problem is I wanna believe there's a durable non-stick pan out there. But I've never read such a mixed set of reviews in my life. Can anyone build a consensus here?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......Can anyone build a consensus here?

the thread goes back three years - so I think you are seeing some reasonable representation of user experience - both good and bad.

example: had them two years...we cook 2 or 3 times a _month_
hmm . . . . I cook 2 or 3 times a day

your mileage may vary, as they say.

I have had expensive non-sticks and cheapie non-sticks. I've opted to stick with the cheapies that I replace in 18-30 months when they get to the "oops it's gone sticky" stage.

I did read one comment of interest in another thread - powdered dish washing detergents contain silica granules (silica is aka sand) which can micro-scratch the non-stick surface. that 'statement' is supported by my own experience. if it can't handle the dish washer, it doesn't get used in this household - and over time what I observe is a fine etching of the non-stick.

with regard to health concerns, snake oil sales pitches aside, the Environmental Working Group is one of the more outspoken - and credible - organizations on the topic. they do not suggest 'outlawing' the use of PTFE coatings - but they do suggest some sensible guidelines.
see http://www.ewg.org/node/22396
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: