Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: NSF Certification
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: seems good Reply with quote

I read this thread and still bought the ameriware $399 set today. I cook only a couple times a week, and my calphalon non-stick pans were shot, so this seems like a good replacement, and less expensive than the calphalon ones.
Seems like a good set.. the guy did the cheese & plastic bag demo, and it was impressive.. he used metal utencils, but they gave me plastic ones.
I look forward to browning some turkey in the pan for dinner tonight!

http://www.dealtaker.com - the cool place for hot deals
Karyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Ameriware Pans Reply with quote

I bought a 10" pan at Costco last week. I bought it because I can't stand my Circulon pan anymore for scrambling eggs. Too hard to clean. It cost a little more than I was willing to spend but, in a Costco moment, I thought "what the heck?"

I am absolutely delighted with this pan. It has a nice heft to it and best of all, cleans up SO easily. I'm now thinking of buying more of these. Adios Circulon. In no way do I feel scammed. Besides, as regular Costco shopper knows, the store doesn't sell junk -- it's products are always high quality.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had circulon pans many years ago. It's a wonder they are still around. I agree with you. They are terrible to clean and the ridges made them extremely bad for eggs and omelets that you want to to be able to slide around in the pan. They offered no advantage in any aspect of cooking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: warped pans Reply with quote

Can someone recommend some brand of cookware that is more warp-proof?

I have a smooth-top cooking surface. A warped pan is of no use to me. I have used a variety of brands of non-stick cookwares over the years. And invariably each and every one of them warp. The difference between different brands was the time it took to warp. Some lasted long. Some others were so-so. One brand warped the first time I cook egg. It is frustrating!!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: warped pans Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Can someone recommend some brand of cookware that is more warp-proof?

Which brands have you been using? Most high quality pans are pretty much warp proof (assuming you mean warping due to heat) but thin stainless steel pots and pans do warp and are a pain to work with.

If you're really at your wits end, I'd recommend All-Clad. The construction really is top notch and they are my favorite pans to use. Never had one warp on me (but then neither have my Calphalon, Clad Farberware, or Clad Tramontina either...)
kikiroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: ameriware pans Reply with quote

I purchased the 399 set at Costco, too. I have a couple of all clad stainless steel, couple Daniel Boulud stainless and a griddle from Calphalon one, nonstick. I was thinking that these pans are safe, and now am wondering if all the non stick pans are toxic in one way or another??? I use the stainless steel for higher heat, no high heat, and usually use med. or low on the ameriware, calphalon one, etc. Now, I have only had my ameriware pans for about two months, but now am feeling like maybe I should return them? Costco does now carry a stainless set, I saw there today.
any thoughts???
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: ameriware pans Reply with quote

kikiroo wrote:
Now, I have only had my ameriware pans for about two months, but now am feeling like maybe I should return them?

Nonstick coatings should not be harmful unless overheated. If you cook under normal conditions (medium-high heat at most), you should be fine. In most non-stick cooking situations (unless you are heating an empty pan), you should be working just below that temperature range. How do you like the pans? If they work well for you and your style of cooking, then you should consider keeping them.
kikiroo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: ameriware pans Reply with quote

Thanks Michael.
I think that you have good insight and are a fair evaluator on the merits of pans. I appreciate your posts and your level head. I do like them. I think they do heat evenly and so far have seem to be of good quality. I kind of felt like if Costco allowed them to be sold, then they weren't junk and at 400 bucks, I would hope not. I do think that most sales people inflate the values so you think that you are getting a deal, but having a nice set that was good quality and useful sizes is what got me. I also thought that they were safer becaue of the no teflon statements made. I kind of wanted some pans around in case my husband or kids got a hold of that I wouldn't freak if they used them, or heaven forbid took a metal utensil to them. I am trying to get it thru their heads that it high heat doesn't cook their foods any faster, so as long as they follow that rule we should be okay, right? I like the option of making stuff like kraft mac and cheese for the kids in a nonstick pan. I haven't tried making it or rice for that matter in a stainless for years. I had some old revere ware that everything stuck to, so I learned the money pit way, that you get what you pay for when it comes to stainless steel. Now, many moons later, I have some stainless that are not non stick and like them very much. I have one Daniel Boulud six quart saute/braising pan that I think is my favorite. It has copper up the sides and bottom, kind of like the all clad. I use a silicone spatula and so far, nothing has stuck to it. I use it for everything. Well, thanks much for your support and I look forward to reading your posts. God bless you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another line of Eclipse is available in Canada.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/
The description of Artisan 7pc Cookset has 7mm thermal bottoms, silicon nonstick exterior and seems well made.

After witnessing the Costco demonstration yesterday and googling 'Ameriware Review' I picked up the Artisan set on sale for 89.99 Cdn, marked down from 230.00.

They are heavy, seem well made and indeed come with the Eclipse coating.

Thanks for the tip.
sunny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Ameriware Cookware Reply with quote

I have read lot of the posts here and other places about Ameriware some seem like they have a hidden agenda or are just looking to try and find out something to complain about. So peolpe for what its worth I Love everything about our Ameriware cookware I have hade it for several years& looks as good now as when we got it ! OK maybe a few age marks.... Here is the truth~They clean up so very easily.nothing cooks as evenly or is as fun to use This cookware is better then all the other nonstick brands we have tried We have tried everything at Costco . and even that new Caphalon one .(which is really not very nonstick) I researched this cookware before we bought it. It's made by the Vollrath company in the USA, they are famous for commerical cookware and other commerical kitchen products ...You can't go wrong here .
confused

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: ameriware Reply with quote

I purchase Ameriware set from Costco for my daughter. She LOVES it. So I purchase one for me. I have a smooth surface cooktop and cannot get these pans hot enough. Is this the reason?? Does anyone know if they are recommended for use on smooth surface cooktops?? I can't seem to find any information on this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: ameriware product page Reply with quote

Here's the link to the Ameriware Products that Costco sells. The lids seem to be non stick also, while the Costco ones are SS...

http://www.cookware.tv/
unhappy comsumer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Ameriware Reply with quote

My husband and I bought this set, also from Costco, but three years ago (just before Thanksgiving so we'd have some pots and pans to cook on). We fell for the titanium/ceramic coating hook, line and sinker. My biggest concern was to definitely NOT have teflon, plus we were assured that wqe could use metal utensils due to the superior coating quality. The coating started scratching about a year after purchase, but when I attempted to look up their co. online, I got no where. I was am glad I found this site, and will return our set to Costco at the earliest convenience as well make a complaint with the BBB, given that our coating is full of scratches, on both sides. Yes, it's great to cook with, but being pregnant, I want to make sure that no metal toxins are being ingested by me (or by my 1 yr old). Thanks for your input, foks...and purchase and use at your own risk....
maxthrottle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Ameriware is like the rest, just costs more Reply with quote

I've had ameriware pots and pans for a few years. All but two that I seldom used have been trashed. After a few burnings, the coating is shot like all the rest. I tried to take the first back to ameriware they sent it back as is. I like costco but made the mistake of buying this from a military base. At least costco backs up a product even if ameriware doesn't. Having said that i enjoyed using the pots during the period they lasted, but I would only buy something like this from costco in the future, and save the receipts!
Eric

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Ameriware Reply with quote

For what its worth, I bought the Ameriware $400 set online at Costco.com and it shipped from Sylmar, Ca. It seems as though it ships from Cooks Warehouse.

Also, prior to being a mechanical engineer, I worked at Costco for 5 years. I was the guy they would call to look over electronics returns. They will, in fact, take just about anything back at almost any time. However, sometimes they may not "be in the mood", so to speak. So, there are some keywords to say and avoid.

Best things to say:
- I am worried about the coating causing health problems
- Something about the (item) not working like it should

Avoid at all costs:
- I just don't want/like it anymore

Basically they want something more substantial than your feeling - they want an actual reason for concern. There is also a sense of how long something 'should' last, because they wont take things back forever. Although, I have seen close to that - computers after 7 years, which they wont do anymore if you bought it after Oct 2003. So best bet - health concerns - I bet they will take it back in a heart beat, even 10 years later.

Cheers!

Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: