Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: NSF Certification
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Just bought Ameriware set at Costco Reply with quote

I just finished reading about half of the latest comments regarding this cookware and related topics. I guess I can count myself among the people who believed that it was just better cookware made without the use of dangerous chemicals. The massive set I bought at costco cost almost $600 and was meant to replace all my old, and apparently more dangerous than I thought, non-stick. I did some "internet research" and found out quickly that teflon and similar non-stick cookware is just plain sketchy.
One site had this to say - "Though DuPont is quick to point out the safety of Teflon® and to distance it from the chemical PFOA, studies show Teflon® cookware releases PFOA when heated to 680°F (360°C). This temperature can be reached fairly quickly, for example, a forgotten pan is left empty preheating on a very hot burner. DuPont acknowledges this, but points out that this is incorrect use of the cookware." Just for reference, the average stove top reaches 500 F on high.
Another site said this - "Teflon is made from a synthetic fluoropolymer resin. Ti-2 contains synthetic fluoropolymers which are baked on the ceramin titanium base at very high temperatures. Does this make them different? Not at all. You're cooking with the same chemicals with the exception that the Ti-2 coating may have a tendency to flake less since it's much harder than their teflon counterparts. In the long-term, the damage to the environment and your health are the same." Ti-2 is just Ameriwares brand name for teflon. Then it goes on to say - "PFOA (Perfluorooctanoic Acid) is used as a necessary processing aid in the manufacture of all fluoropolymers. PFOA is a well known carcinogen that has been linked to cancer, birth defects and liver damage. In my opinion, any company that attempts to promote teflon generics that masquerade as safer products should be prosecuted." Whoa, its getting serious. Anyway, I read a bunch of other sites and none of them could say that an unmarked non-stick pan used at a appropriate temp would emit chemicals into your food. Do you care about your health, do you feel lucky, do you believe that big business has your best interests at heart?
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh? I think the smouldering Teflon has already done its damage...
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought Ameriware set at Costco Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
I did some "internet research" and found out quickly that teflon and similar non-stick cookware is just plain sketchy.

There's a lot of pseudo-science information on the web about the healthfulness of all sorts of things ranging from Teflon to microwave ovens to sucralose. Most are based on scientific facts taken out of context (my favorite is that Splenda must be bad because it's almost like sugar but with chlorine and we all know that chlorine gas is what they use in gas chambers... which completely ignores the fact that chlorine is a natural part of most foods human have been enjoying since the beginning of history). PTFE is a safe product to use for cooking as long as you don't bring it's temperature up too high. Temperatures vary but in general you shouldn't heat it past 500°F. On a stove top, you pretty much have to leave an empty pan on high and walk away for a while to accomplish that. If you're doing that, then you need to not be cooking until you have the time or lack of distractions to focus on cooking or you might burn your house down.

Also, a gas range burns at over 3000F - not 500F. Depending on the pots you use, the size of the burners, distance from grate to burner, and length of time, you can get a pan well past 800F with a little determination. I've never taken a pan past that point as I did not want to reach the failure point of the pan (and therefore have to buy another one), but it seems to be possible to get pans to higher temperatures than that. Just don't use a non-stick for that and be safe (a piece of paper that falls onto a pan at that temperature will combust into an open flame).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vollrath/Ameriware pans Reply with quote

Carol wrote:
I purchased my pans at Sam's Club about 5 years ago. The salesman included a set of hard plastic utensils to use with them. It took two times of using the included utensils to discover why he was using the soft spatulas. Wood and hard plastic utensils will mar the non-stick surface, not scratch, just mark. I immediately started using the soft type spatulas for stirring in the pots, pans, and skillets and have had no new marks. The other killer of these pans is using high heat. That is a NO, NO. They heat very nicely on med-high. I like my pans for stove top as well as the oven. They are the only set I have so they are used a lot and hold up well except for the handles which have a tendency to rust under the rubber covers if there is any kind of imperfection in the metal. I have removed all of them and crocheted handle mitts which I use instead.

That is my two-cents, hope it helps. Smile

Titanware purchased at Sams Club.. non stick failing after two years of daily usage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Titanware Reply with quote Delete this post

Guest wrote:
I bought a Titanware cooking set (12 pc.) from Sam’s over the weekend and also have the same thought that most of the people posted here. Does the cookware’s titanium coating safer than Teflon? Does the pans last longer than what it is promised?

It seems the Titanware is a no-name (unknown) company and the product ownership percentages are small. I really don’t have the peace of mind but only time will tell.

I have the original box for a 12 inch Covered Casserole/Fryer, item 8606, bought at Sam's Club in 2010 for $69.88. Pasted on the inside of the lid is a green sticker saying MADE WITHOUT PFOA. The seller may be misinformed, but the sticker is there.
I have imaged it and put that image on file 11/23/2018.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: