Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: NSF Certification
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Titanium/Iron non stick. Reply with quote

Well, I was at a home show last year and saw this demo on a new nonstick method that got my interest. I don't remember the brand name but these pans were made from cast iron and titanium. no additional surface material was put on these. No teflon.

I've had it (bought only one pan: it was about $180) for a year now and my only complaint was that it's rather heavy. It's pretty thick and has no rivets on the inside of the pan. This thing was made in Germany and they claim it's the last pan you'll ever buy. At the price they wanted, it better be.

But i've actually tried to scratch it. (Hey I'm an engineer, I'll test things).
Couldn't scratch it.

cooks well. still doesn't stick and I 've been using it once a day at least.
Gimme ten years and I'll write a better review. <smiles>

tom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Titanware cookware Reply with quote

Anybody know anything about the Titanware? I see one post asking the same thing, and I too, have surfed the web and can find no information on it other than from their own web site. I'm looking at it at Sam's club and it sure seems appealing -- both price-wise and the promise of no PFC's, etc.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure where the "no PFC" or no teflon thing came in. that promise is not on the website so far as I could find - it is non-stick, and it's only oven safe up to 500'F (hmmm, sure sounds like teflon....)

made in china, apparently marketed by:
http://www.findownersearch.com/brand/4840857/
which is primarily a toy supplier

you'll notice that for all the hype, they actually do not tell you what the "non-stick" is - the question is cleverly evaded at every turn.... wonder why? they don't even claim some magic new compound just invented on Alpha Centauri and available only thru...

if you research analon non-stick you'll find:

"Much of what is labeled titanium cookware is actually aluminum cookware that used titanium in the hard-anodizing process or in a ceramic-titanium plasma that is fused to the surface to form an abrasion-resistant matrix for a nonstick coating."
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Ameriware, pro-hg by vollrath Reply with quote

I have read with interest the posts by others. We bought our pro-hg cookware two years ago. It is just a non-stick today as it was the day we bought it. Our experience is that it is vastly superior to other non-stick pans. It heats evenly, and clean up is wonderful. So far we have had no mar problems with the cooking surface (although we do try to be careful with it). If cared for properly, I wouldn't be surprised if the cooking surface will last 25 years! We have had some pealing from the back side of the pan, but where it counts, it is holding up great.
Paul in Atlanta
Wont be scammed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Returned Ameriware cookware to Costco Reply with quote

My wife and I were treated to an impressive demonstration of the Ameriware cookware at Costco and decided to buy a set after we were assured that there was "No Teflon". (We have birds)

After getting it home and doing some internet research it became apparent that there WAS in fact teflon on the pans (or a similar compound). We took the set back immediately since the entire reason we bought it was because of their claim of no Teflon.

A few months later I saw another demonstration at Costco and challenged the salesman. He again assured me that there was no Teflon and told me that they use a "patented" coating that is not Teflon or PTFE. When I asked him for the patent number he was not able to respond.

We kept the plastic utensils for our trouble.
Ross

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Teflon Reply with quote

It is nice to see all of this great information being shared over such a long period of time! I represent DuPont, and would like to help clarify some of the myths around Teflon-coated cookware. In the 40-plus year history of cookware coated with Teflon non-stick, there have been no reported cases of consumers contracting adverse health effects as a result of in-home normal cooking use. Cooks in more than 40 countries around the world have purchased billions of pots and pans with DuPont non-stick coatings for home and commercial use. These conclusions are supported by extensive scientific and toxicology studies.

Particles from Teflon branded coatings in cookware are not harmful, even if ingested. Confidence in the safety and performance of DuPont non-stick coatings is based on more than 40 years of laboratory testing and use in home and commercial kitchens. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the use of fluoropolymer coatings for cookware. Teflon coatings for cookware are fluoropolymers.

Please feel free to visit http://www.teflon.com for more information, recipes, and other useful resources.
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Ameriware Reply with quote

Hi y'all,
I've been using the Ameriware sets since 1999 and I'm still impressed. It's still non-stick, it still doesn't warp after being immediately washed in cold water after it's been cooking, and it hasn't chipped (chip on the inside that is, the outside has a little chipping of the color but I don't eat from the outside). I use my pieces everyday or at least 5 days a week and I love that I can brown my meats then turn them into stew in the same pot so needless to say, my favorite is the dutch oven. And who doesn't like a pot that doesn't require scrubbing?
DFURTD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: RETURNS Reply with quote

I have had the cookware for years and when the coating goes away I sent it off and I got a new pan. The problem I have is I used the one waranty card I had and now I need to know where to send my pan to have it replaced.

Please, if anyone has the address let me know
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a simple web search turns up:

For Ameriware, Pro HG and Pro HG Preferred,please contact:
Cooks Warehouse Inc.
2504 north ontario street
Burbank, CA 91504
Phone # 818-556-2740
Website www.onlinecookery.com

For Platinum, please contact:
GMF Corp
PO Box 231174
Encinatis, CA 92023
Phone # 435-518-1029

the search also turns up hundreds of consumer complaints/horror stories, so,,,, good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Teflon Reply with quote

Ross wrote:
It is nice to see all of this great information being shared over such a long period of time! I represent DuPont, and would like to help clarify some of the myths around Teflon-coated cookware. In the 40-plus year history of cookware coated with Teflon non-stick, there have been no reported cases of consumers contracting adverse health effects as a result of in-home normal cooking use. Cooks in more than 40 countries around the world have purchased billions of pots and pans with DuPont non-stick coatings for home and commercial use. These conclusions are supported by extensive scientific and toxicology studies.

Particles from Teflon branded coatings in cookware are not harmful, even if ingested. Confidence in the safety and performance of DuPont non-stick coatings is based on more than 40 years of laboratory testing and use in home and commercial kitchens. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the use of fluoropolymer coatings for cookware. Teflon coatings for cookware are fluoropolymers.

Please feel free to visit http://www.teflon.com for more information, recipes, and other useful resources.

Yes, Ross from DuPont, but since your coatings release known carcinogens if the pan gets too hot, why take the chance? More information here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon

For my money, stainless steel, caste iron and ceramic cookware (eg Emile Henry) are non-toxic and have stood the test of time. I'll "stick" with them, if you'll excuse the pun! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Ameriware Reply with quote

I feel bad for all the people that wrote nasty reviews about
Ameriware. You can go on using the 25.00 Teflon pans that chip away.
I've had my Ameriware for over 2 years now. Use my fry pans daily as I have three sizes and not a scratch...no flaking of the coating...Aboslutely love them and couldn't cook without them. You don't know what you are missing.!
JOD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: triple coated Reply with quote

while trying to find some RE to "triple coated QT tm Quantanium(R)" camping cookware by Texsport ........
I finally saw RE to this blog and proceeded to follow this Ameriware discussion..... which sounds like a very similar coating process, and thereby I would conclude it includes PTFE as a component.... close enough for my standards/suspicions....

Also, I would assume this is a similar process in the "Black Diamond" brand nonstick coatings, just embedding diamond dust in PTFE....

I had seen references to hard anodized aluminum non-stick surfaces, but not finding clear descriptions of such utensils, have not been too sure of the cooking surface... and have seen a couple comments, "that not that nonstick".... so botom line I guess, is pass the lard!!!

enjoyed the chat and insight... thanks
former-ameriware-salesman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: this stuff sucks Reply with quote

i sold this stuff, and i'm sorry if you bought it from me.

these pots and pans are fine at first, but after 8 months of regular use, the non-stick has become almost useless. (and the "non stick exterior" is total BS)

remember the egg trick that made you buy the set? now i have problems getting eggs out of the pan at all. the handles rust, and the bottoms are irritating to keep clean.

I'm very unhappy with this cookware, and i'm even unhappier to have had to work for the morons that run this company.
Dingo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Titanware cookware Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Anybody know anything about the Titanware? I see one post asking the same thing, and I too, have surfed the web and can find no information on it other than from their own web site. I'm looking at it at Sam's club and it sure seems appealing -- both price-wise and the promise of no PFC's, etc.

Doing research on that now. TitanWare is owned by Westminster Inc out of Atlanta, GA. The company President of Westminster is Max Ker-Seymer, who may be the same person involved (in some way) with the band called The Who. Westminster, Inc, is a FDA-registered company, but has no FDA-registered products on the market, according to
http://www.zapconnect.com/companies/index.cfm/fuseaction/companies_detail/eregnum/1058384.html
BBB.org has a profile for Westminster, Inc, but not Titanware. Westminster, Inc, is not a BBB member, and BBB has no complaints about them over the past 36 months.

The salesman's pitch was all about Teflon, not PTFE. He even stated that Teflon was a brand-name. My concern isn't whether or not the pan is going to kill me in my sleep - my concern is whether the pan works as advertised. The salesman's job is to SELL the pan. The consumer's job is to weed out the BS from the facts. So no, these pans do NOT have Teflon - otherwise they'd be in deep doo-doo. But they may very well have a PTFE coating on a ceramic foundation above a titanium-treated aluminum base.

That won't affect how my egg tastes, other than it will still be warm if I decide to clean up before I eat it...
tiny

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Ameriware Reply with quote

I purchased a set of Ameriware at a local Air Force Base. It was a lot of money, but I was sold on the product. Two years later I am more sold. This is simply one of the best products I have ever purchased. If you really want to give a great wedding present, buy them Ameriware...it will last three times longer than the average marriage these days!! lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: