Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot Fudge Sauce Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndyRob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Hot Fudge Sauce Help Reply with quote

Being originally from Detroit, I've been experimenting with some old Detroiter favorites, one of those being Sander's Hot Fudge sauce. This is a locally famous chocolate fudge sauce for a sundae. There was always some indefinable character to the sauce that made it stand out from store bought sauces. But I think I'm hot on it's trail....

There are plenty of recipes to be found on the 'net, and I settled on this one:

14oz Sweetened Condensed Milk (I used Eagle)
12oz Corn Syrup
12oz Nestle's Milk Chocolate (the recipe recommended no substitution for Nestle's - I would agree)
1/2lb (2 sticks) butter.

I deviated by adding an extra two ounces of chocolate. Probably a small mistake.

Throw it all in a double boiler and simmer for 30 minutes. Then give it a turn in a blender or mixer to make smooth.

The results are great, but not quite the holy grail. I remember this sauce with some little bit of bite - as though there was something like coffee added. But now I'm convinced that the secret comes from the condensed milk. I admit that my extra 2oz of chocolate may have 'watered' down the effect, but after tasting, I'm pretty sure that there's something more.

I think the condensed milk needs to be scalded (or something) in a way that invites Mssr. Maillard to the party. I need just a touch of burnt flavor. How could I pretreat the condensed milk prior to incorporation in order to get this?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR -

whee... "browning" milk is probably possible but the margin of screw-up I'd say is really large. controlling the process on a milk product from "browned" to "burnt" would be really tricky, if possible "at all" in a home kitchen pot.

butter is reasonably easy to produce at a "browned" stage - typically the flavor is described more as "nutty" than "browned" but heh.....

my personal stab at a first attempt would be to caramelize a small batch of plain ole' white sugar and sub a portion of that for the corn syrup.

as for the coffee over/under/through tones, chocolate and coffee have a long standing "complementary taste" relationship - I've seen recipes with everything from instant coffee / freeze dried coffee to reduced expresso - so that would certainly be another flavor avenue to go down.
IndyRob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that you suggest carmelizing some sugar because some of the recipes that I ran across did add caramels. These seemed to be in the minority, so I opted for the majority opinion.

I should be able to take a portion of my yield and throw a piece of caramel into it as a sort of proof of concept.

I will follow up.

Thanks,
-Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum