Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Grilled Artichokes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1PetEng

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Grilled Artichokes Reply with quote

Wow! I've never done this before but it turned out GREAT!! Your procedure for preparing the artichoke had adequate detail for a novice like me to successfully complete it. Thanks!
ItsFixed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! It’s a nice recipe.
Diane B.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: lazy steaming and leaf method Reply with quote

Last time I checked, our grill was home to a nest of wasps (for the second time) so no grilling right now till they're dealt with. Irritating.

We have artichokes quite often though and just use a quick-lazy method that works for us. Even the prep is done lazy-way.
...rinse artichokes to remove any dust/spray/etc
...if stems are long enough to bother with, peel outer covering with a veg. peeler, then cut stems flat to bottoms
(..I don't cut off any of the leaf tips, etc, since they don't bother me)
...turn artichoke(s) upside down (slightly askew okay) and place in a microwave-safe bowl/container (if I'm making two, I'll use a rectangular Pyrex dish)...drape artichokes lightly with piece of dry-wax paper (or waxed paper, plastic wrap, etc)
...microwave on High about 5-15 min depending on number/size, or till a fork or knife tip can be easily pushed into the upturned artichoke bottom
...serve with lemon butter for dipping

...remove outer leaves one at a time, dip/scrape with teeth
...remove thinner and softer inner leaves a few at a time, dip/bite off
...scrape choke off with sharp tablespoon, etc
...chop up bare bottom and dip/eat

As mentioned, I don't have a problem removing the leaves with sharp tips attached to dip and eat--guess I just grab them lower down, etc. (If I did have to snip off all those tips, suspect we wouldn't eat artichokes as often and I'd miss that!)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Wasps in your grill Reply with quote

Just turn on the grill... should take care of the problem.
Abby

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: love this page Reply with quote

I love your approach to sharing recipes. I'm not an engineer, but a lawyer, and I really appreciate the step by step and context. Appeals to and affirms the ridiculous methodical way i have! Brava/o!
Tink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Grilled artichokes Reply with quote Delete this post

Thank you for the great information and photos! That's the best tutorial I've ever seen.
Big smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: