Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Growing Herbs At/In Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OscarTehGrouch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Growing Herbs At/In Home Reply with quote

I am looking to get started growing herbs at home and here's my situation.

I am a college student living in an apartment in Baltimore City (at Johns Hopkins), so it's not like I have some patch of yard to do this in... I have a good sized balcony outdoors and am looking for advice/resources on how to get started. The Baltimore Summer is starting to die down, so it seems like I should start now, or would have to wait until spring to do so.

I am not looking to grow anything in particular... rather I would like to try to grow as wide of variety of herbs as I could possibly do. I understand each herb has different methods/needs etc. but I have been unable to locate a good resource via brief Google search. There are just a lot of random websites pertaining to specific herbs with advice etc...

I'm too lazy to compile all that information and figure if it's legit or not. I just want to grow herbs and get started right away. Any good websites or books you can point me to would be great.

The thought of parsley, basil, thai basil, cilantro, rosemary, thyme, sage, etc... fresh... any home growers around here?
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Ought to work -- if you have sun Reply with quote

We grow parsley and basil on our deck, along with a little mint and some oregano. So long as you have sun, you should be fine. Our problem is the opposite -- it's been an exceedingly dry, hot summer here in NC and the parsley has already bit the dust despite assiduous watering. The basil and oregano still look great, though...
OscarTehGrouch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else have input?

After some more searching, I am going to look into setting up a hydroponic herb gardens... there are a lot of DIY setups that will ultimately require less maintenance...

I'll let you all know how it goes... maybe even write an article for CFE in the future... hehe =)
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an infomercial for a herb "growing station" that has its own lights, soil or hydroponic medium, etc, but I don't know what it was called or exactly what it cost--maybe $100. It was about 24"wide x 18"deep x 18" high, at most, as I remember. I also saw it in Zabars NYC about a month ago in their "mezzanine" level where they have cooking equipment and non-food items.

Sorry I don't have specifics, but you could call Zabars in Manhattan or do a google search based on my description.
OscarTehGrouch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might be referring to the AeroGarden.... its around a 150 dollars... it's been on TV infomercials and featured at sites like surlatable.com. I looked into it when researching and think the product is fine, but comes with some reservations.

It's more economical in the long run to make your own... by using the AeroGarden, you're stuck using their propietary products... so you have to use their seeds, their lights... etc...

People have complained that although the lights are regular fluorescents, the connection to the light is specific to the AeroGarden and therefore you have to buy bulbs directly from them...

Eek... although it may be a great product, sounds like a cash cow to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum