Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Macaroni and Cheese Bake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Macaroni & Cheese Reply with quote

I make my own recipe Macaroni & Cheese that's to die for... well it might kill you if you ate too much of it too often! LOL!

I make homemade seasoned pasta.

The cheeses I use are sharp cheddar, swiss, mozzarella, provalone, romano, asiago, cream cheese & parmesan.

Other ingredients are milk, butter, flour, chipotle, dijon mustard, liquid smoke, worsteshire, bacon, salt, mixed peppercorn & trisquits.

I'm afraid to know how many calories are in a 4 oz serving! Unsure
Mattison

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Delicious Reply with quote

I made this for a Holiday potluck a few months back at work. It was definately a hit- the texture was creamy and the flavors were phenominal. I made a few changes- I used superspicy mustard and doubled the quantity to 2tsp, made the roux with regular milk, and added a touch of garlic powder to the bread slices while they were in the processor. All in all, it was slightly time consuming but totally worth it. I look forward to trying some of your other recipes!
Tom Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Make a little change to this Reply with quote

Ditch the white bread and use either Italian Bread crumbs or a good Italian Bread.... The rest of it is A-OK
torimike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Mac & Cheese Reply with quote

This mac & cheese was delicious! So cheesey! There is a restaurant that serves lobster mac and cheese near me and they serve it with sliced tomatoes on top. i added that to this recipe with a little extra grated parmasean on top. YUM! you should try it!
Angie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

This recipe is extremely delicious.. i made i 4 my bf and he was stunned!! thanx 4 sharing Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremendous base recipe. I substituted a spanish sheep's milk cheese and a spanish cow's milk cheese for the recipe's called for cheeses while also adding slab bacon. I cook quite a bit, and this combination yielded the perfect mac'n cheese. Whoever posted the base recipe should win an award.
www.virtualdistortion.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Impressive. Reply with quote

I'm a long time experimenting 'personal chef' (for myself and friends) and I have, strangely enough?, never come across the little chart which you have at the bottom of your post. I love it!

It's my mission tonight to make the best mac and cheese I've ever consumed so your post will surely help me a lot. Thanks (;

Keep cookin' !
MaryTheGuest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Great Recipe Reply with quote

Years ago, my dear departed sister gave me a recipe for the World's Best Cheese with Macaroni. This recipe used the canned condensed milk, extra sharp cheddar, Jack, and Colby cheeses. The topping was made in a similar way except that instead of breadcrumbs and butter she used the peanut butter cheese crackers! The peanut butter really enhanced the flavor and the canned milk made it richer. She also started with a roux and bechamel sauce, stirring in the cheeses till melted and then adding the macaroni. She used a buttered dish so it would not stick and baked it at 300, instead of 350. The biggest difference was she used roasted onion and roasted garlic in hers, which changed everything. Those little changes which make a dish special to one person can ruin it for another, so if you are going to try my changes, make sure you LIKE roasted onions and garlic and understand what changing the cheeses will do to the flavor. TIP: Most people do not like the peanut butter crackers idea, until they try it. So be sure you know what your tastes are before you 'ruin' your mac and cheese!
chefhoney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Baked mac and cheese Reply with quote

I have found that Fat Free half and half (I can't believe I use it either, seems like a sin), 2% Milk Cheddar cheese, and a little Velveeta produces an amazing product. I make a basic bechamel the same as Michael, substituting all or part of the milk (usually 1-2%) with the FF half and half then add the cheeses as directed. It definitely wins over the kids and adults and is less fattening without tasting like it!
magruder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: macaroni and cheese Reply with quote

I always saute a little onion, chopped fine, in the butter before adding the flour in the bechamel sauce.Dried mustard and a pinch of cayenne pepper also give it some zip!
soutram

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Preparation Reply with quote

I would like to try to prepare this dish ahead of time for a holiday dinner. Any suggestions? Can it be prepared, frozen or refrigerated and then baked later?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're talking ahead of time for Thanksgiving, freezing is not a good idea at this point.

but yes it does well when made ahead BUT the cooling / reheating will make the sauce a bit thicker - so make it extra runny at the outset to compensate.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is oz converted to cups? like for the cheeses, can someone tell me how much you need of each in cups? thanks
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guest wrote:
what is oz converted to cups? like for the cheeses, can someone tell me how much you need of each in cups? thanks

8 ounces in a cup.

Other useful tips:
2 Tablespoons in an ounce.
3 teaspoons in a Tablespoon

ounces (volume) is not convertible to ounces (weight) unless it's water or something of similar density. On Cooking For Engineers, we try to use ounces ONLY for volume to reduce confusion. All weight/mass is shown in grams. At the top of the page is a conversion text bar - just type in something like "5 ounces in cups" and hit Convert. We have "half cup in milliliters" in there by default as an example.
Jenn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: better than elbow Reply with quote

I've found cavatappi to be a better noodle for mac-n-cheese. It's larger and holds the cheese better than elbow macaroni. I also like to saute about 5 diced onions and line the bottom of the pan before adding the macaroni mixture. Adds some great flavors!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: