Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Beef Stroganoff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Wondefvul, but... Reply with quote

I made this dish last night and I have to say it wan't the best - a bit dry and the flavour was their and it was passable, but a bit of a disappointment.

Leftovers in the fridge overnight, back in the pan - stroganoff and pasta together - added a little more sour cream and a little more dill (I used the real thing) heated for three minutes, and wow! One of the best dishes I have had.

The overnight stay in the fridge made a ton of difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I would like to tell you what a wonderfull forum you are maintaining.
However, I have some comments on this reciepe.
I would like to second the gherkins. Mushrooms are a nice additon, but it is not a Stroganoff if it does not contain gherkins.
Another point is the stew time. It should simmer a good while longer, which, as a bonus, makes the cheaper beef cuts a better choice.
I usually serve Stroganoff over fresh, homemade Spätzle.
Grendal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I used this as a starting point for some Beef Stroganoff this weekend. I didn't remember the mustard, and I used Leeks instead of Onion, but it turned out great.

I've been reading your site for about a year, thanks for all the work you put into it.
Zane (audio engineer)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Real stroganof does not need to cook for a long time ! Reply with quote

I know several have mention that it should cook for several hours... but that is a modern way =by using cheaper meat = not so tender meat = long cooking !
Use tenderloin or filet and only cook very briefly- meat should be pink in the midle when dish is done !
I like the dill added to this recipe - never tried t before - thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: food Reply with quote

how interesting that there would be so many comments about authentic foods. I try to be authentic. However, what is an authentic American hamburger? Does it have cheese or no? sesame seed bun or no? Thousand island dressing or no? There is no acceptable way other than a bun, ketchup/mustard, and a pattie...that is a very boring american hamburger, but would be 'authentic'.

California Brandon.
capone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: substitute cognac n beef Reply with quote

hello all

firstly .. great site

2ndly ... id go with beef but im a student and the hostelmate i cook with doesn't take beef .. cud i substitute it with pork? .. of course it'd taste different and the recipe might then assume a different name .. well .. maybe anyone cud comment ...

3rdly ... a student budget doesnt allow cognac .. dang .. so cud i do without it or wat wud be a budget friendly substitute?

4thly ... im studying in russia .. im not so sure if i can find beefstock at the supermarkets .. or maybe im mistaken .. or does anyone have an idea how i cud go about it ?

well .. looking forward to hearing from anyone ..

bon apetite
gastronomica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: substitute cognac in beef Reply with quote

Cool that your expierimenting with dishes even if forcefully so. lets start with the bottem point.

4) beef broth or stock might not be availible in russia(perhapse so, i've never been there) but a simple beef or veal stock would work... although it would go against your mates requestof a beef free dish. look up a recipie for a brown veal stock and make some for yourself. it isn't that hard...

3)Cognac is just brandy(distilled wine) from a specific region of france. you could substitute a nice quality red wine instead or any brandy. omitiong this ingrediant wont change the dish but may detract from the complexity of the flavors. on a students budget go without it.

2) Pork would work ( whats in a name anyhow) but would change the flavor of the dish some. cooking isn't like baking, ingrediants can be changed and the dish (for the most part) will stay the same(for example rillets or consume'). if it taists good to you then do it!

1) yes i agree this is a quality site (would Piersig approve of that last statement?)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: use kobe beef Reply with quote

this may come as no suprise, but you should use Kobe Beef . The quality of the beef really improves the dish...
tahrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be that as maybe, this is quite a versatile recipe, and if you just cook it a little slower you can get away with cheaper ingredients (maybe not the $1.88/lb rump as mentioned above, but certainly not the $13/lb sirloin...), as my mother has done since time immemorial (to myself), always coming out with something delicious and not too difficult to chew.

perhaps i'd change my mind after having kobe beef, but i haven't yet had the debatable pleasure* of trying it yet, so i'm happy with it as it stands

however, i'm saving this page to, one day soon, surprise her with the deluxe version. saying nothing about the additional ingredients (which we thankfully already have all of), but seeing if anyone notices the difference Smile

also, whoever complained about this being full of cholesterol....... get a life! you may extend your lifespan another few minutes by skipping the odd delightful stroganoff.... to what end if it's just another flat salad you're waiting for? I eat healthily most of the time, I recognise the value of it even on a day to day basis (energy levels, future health, and what you might call ease of digestion) but don't deny the sensory pleasure of the occasional full english breakfast or cream-laden delicacy when the (sadly rare) opportunity comes around. It's not something that will cause a terrible impact on your health so long as you don't have it for every meal and stay nominally active. I'm feeling fairly confident that my overall health at age 50 will be likely better than that of either of my grandfathers, and probably my father for that matter.

(* pleasure, or life-ruining experience if you can't afford to have it more than once / every few years, with all the previously lovely meals in-between now being tainted with an air of inferiority?)
Sweetbabette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Great Stroganff Reply with quote

I made this last week with some tenderloin I got on sale, and it was great. I only added the smallest amount of dill, and I am glad because that is not how I think of Stroganoff, and I followed this advice from a previous post

>>Subject: Add some flavour
Hi guys,

I grew up in a Russian/Australian family and this is how we make strogonough.

With your 1cup sour cream, use garlic (2 - 3 cloves), 1/4cup tomato paste and 3tbsp lemon juice. This will add a much richer flavor.....maybe too much flavor for the American palette

the tomato paste added flavor, and the lemon made the creamy sauce not so heavy. I will definitely make this again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Sans onions? Reply with quote

My husband is allergic to onions. Is it possible to make this dish without it? Thanks.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>without onions

absolutely.
Magnum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love beef stroganoff. I have always seen it as the white and the red version which my mother introduced me to. The white version, to me, is the mustard, onion and sour cream version. The red is the tomato version and it takes so much butter I am ashamed. I always like to mix it up and try something a little different. I guess I need to try some pickles. I agree the cheaper meat and the longer cook time is better to me as the meat is my favorite. I like it over noodles or rice with the red.
Thanks for maintaining the site. Cool
PS - Stroganoff wasn't in my spell checker! How ludicrous.
GoodEats

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Stroganoff Reply with quote

I have made the dish two times and it is a very good recipe. It is now my favorite stroganoff because it is simple and has a unique flavor. The dill is a brilliant idea.

As for the Aussie's comment that the his version might be too rich for the American palette, add a little Vegemite and maybe that would tone it down a bit so that we yanks could stomach it.
cslider8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: printer friendly? Reply with quote

Hi - thanks for the great site and wonderful recipes. Just one minor hiccup, when printing the recipe card, it prints on 3 pages...? Perhaps its my settings or something but if not, could you look into that...

Appreciate the work you put into maintaining this site and hope this comment makes the site even more user friendly. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: