Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deep fried onions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevewolf31

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Deep fried onions Reply with quote

Anyone tried making fried onions like you need for green bean casserole?
Anyone successful?
SirShazar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried it, but I have an idea of what It'd take. First of all, you'll need a mandolin to cut them really thin, or better yet a turning slicer. To prevent them from being floppy you'll need to arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet in a warm oven for about an hour so they lose most of their moisture. Then, fry them in small batches in very hot oil (375) and let them dry on a cooling rack.

It's probably not worth the effort.
stevewolf31

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Fried onions Reply with quote

While I don't recall seeing anything I recognize as an onion in those crispy onion flavored whatevers, I'm wondering if anyone has tried dipping thin sliced onion in batter and cooking the you know what out of them--can't be any worse in the sense they will definitely be onion flavored and actually have an observable onion in them--problem will be deep frying each one individually as group frying they might get too stuck together. May not be as crunchy unless you wait until the last minute to add them --
SirShazar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones you get in a can are genuinely onions, and they're not battered or anything (I know this because they showed their factory on Unwrapped). I think their secret is that they suck all the fat and moisture from them after they fry them at a really high temperature.

They did have a battered onion curls at at Ruby Tuesdays which were pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum