Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Ratatouille
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Great Recipe Reply with quote

I just love this. I never has any professionally or traditionally made before but this one i made was just perfect. the texture, the smell, the taste, it was all perfect.
brand0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: minutes Reply with quote

I am thinking of cooking this dish after seeing Remy's film.
but one thing I've noticed on all the articles online that I've search is that:

-mostly veggie
-very flexible dish

but the cooking time, is it too long considering that veggies tend to lose their potent(or vitamins+minerals) if heated too long?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i had no idea that ratatouille was a real dish. not even after the movie came out. HAHA

so i decided to try it out although i have NEVER eaten eggplant before. i don't know how ratatouille's supposed to taste, but i thought it was excellent. i didn't do any sweating of the eggplant and i tasted no bitterness at all. instead of pairing it w/ a bagguette(didn't buy any at the time), i toasted some sourdough bread instead and it was fantastic. my husband doesn't usually eat veggies and thought it was really good. LOL

so i give it 2 very enthusiastic thumbs up. :oD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter watched the movie and wanted ratatouille for dinner. Made this version minus the green peppers. It was GREAT! will definitely make it again. Our son who usually complains about onions ate 3 helpings.
Tasha6075

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Ratatouille Dish Reply with quote

I am going to try to cook this for my family mainly our 5year old who makes us watch ratatouille at least once a week...and I never bore of the movie either love it. We even went to disneyland paris and he was mainly interested in seeing remy and eating in his restuarant even though we did not try the ratatouille I WOULD like to now...many thanks to whoever posted this its clearly popular...well leave feedback when we have cooked it.
Question

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...you manage to be so f**king precise about everything else and yet you can't manage to state "how much" olive oil to use. Some engineer. It's guys like you who cause space rovers to crash.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question wrote:
Hey...you manage to be so f**king precise about everything else and yet you can't manage to state "how much" olive oil to use. Some engineer. It's guys like you who cause space rovers to crash.

Wow, much anger... please refer to the recipe summary table at the bottom of the article.
Cerises

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: ratatouille Reply with quote

in response to Unsure about how much olive oil to use it's at the bottom of the recipe...plus Smile my French mother in law taught me this recipe...way back when...she was from Brittany and an excellent cook she added a nice sausage which you can serve on the side and she added eggs which she cracked over the ratatouille depends on how many people are served and put a lid to simmer to poach the eggs...different to some but remember in different regions of France your going to get a little variance in this wonderful dish!!! Have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm from India and found this recipe super. I use a lot of eggplant - in other dishes - and have never found the need to remove "bitterness". Eggplants, in my experience - are just not bitter! And salting / sugaring / rinsing would remove a lot of the nutrients - particularly the iron, wouldn't it?
The one thing that i DO know is that no one cooks eggplant in iron saucepans - traditionally.
Cheers!
p.s. my husband is an engineer - and he approves of this format - but he's a terrible cook otherwise!!! Wink
Rachelle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: YUM! Reply with quote

I had this dish at a restaurant today and look forward to making it at home with your recipe. Thank you for this site. ;o)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: turned out great! Reply with quote

Thank you for this wonderful recipe. I made it last night and everyone loved it.

I doubled the quantity and followed your recipe with these minor variations:

1. I happened to have a handful of toasted pine nuts, which I tossed in when I added broth. They turned out to be a perfect addition. They add a whole new dimension to the dish but are absolutely organic with all other flavors.

2. This is a traditional Eastern European twist on the dish: serve it with a dollop of good sour cream.

Today, since there were not enough leftovers for dinner, I added some roasted potatoes to the dish while reheating it. Potatoes change the nature of the dish making it heartier (or some might say heavier) but I like this way too.

Thank you for this recipe. I will make it again.
Jonina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: a couple of comments on older posts Reply with quote

First, cooking for engineers! I love it! I was a math and physics major and am still proudly a nerd (and yes, I'm a woman!)

Someone mentioned eating ratatouille with scrambled eggs. That reminded me of a Middle Eastern dish called shakshouka (transliteration varies--it's pronounced shock-SHOO-ka) that is eggs poached in stewed tomatoes and often eaten with French fries aka chips--great cheap lunch. If you served it with some nice bread or rolls instead of the chips it would pass for brunch food.

Also, as I discovered (and so did at least one other reader) there are two kinds of ratatouille. One, which I've made before, is essentially roasted vegetables--and includes potatoes. This looks to be the stew kind, and I'm going to try it.

And I love the confirmation code, too!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great site. Thank you for the pics as well. Smile
I just wanted to add that "shakshouka" is actually a Nothern African dish not a Middle Eastern, and usually made without mashrooms, but definitely scrambled eggs.
le marseillais

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: ratatouille Reply with quote

There are no mushrooms in ratatouille! Ratatouille is eggplant, zucchini, tomato, red and green bell pepper, onion and garlic stewed in olive oil with salt and pepper. Bon appétit!
Joyce

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Ratatioully Reply with quote

Re: your excellent discussion about the addition of salt and sugar to this dish. . . .

It is exactly that combination (of salt and sugar) we use in seasoning salmon to make 'locks'. Putting this combination on raw salmon pulls all the moisture out of it. Here in Denmark, Locks/Lax are called 'gravid lax.' In the old days, when there were no refrigerators, Danes would salt and pepper their fresh-caught salmon, put a weight on it, and bury it for several days. ('Gravid' = Grave in Danish.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: