Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Ratatouille
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esbee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: recipe like the movie Reply with quote

is there a recipe on how to make ratatouille so it looks just like what was in the pixar cartoon movie?
luganrn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Ratatouille ala movie Reply with quote

American chef Thomas Keller invented a contemporary variation, confit byaldi, for the film Ratatouille. Please go to the following link for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confit_byaldi
student

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: ratatouille Reply with quote

Just made it, it is really good, i dont usually like egg plant.
I love the site, the recipes are easy to follow and ingredients are simple!
Chirpie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: It's worth noting... Reply with quote

Ego ordered the Blanc 41 before he knew what he was eating. He was assuming the dish would be of extravagant origins, which made the Chef's choice all the more surprising. (And a great reminder of the emotional connection we can have to food)
flunazuniga123@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: ratatouille Reply with quote

Concerning Ms.Tina Hart comment I believe all vegetable dishes or meats and vegetables for that matter will have more flavor and better taste the day after. As my mother used to say the dish flavors will settle and blend better after a day has past.
As a frustrated engineer and would be cook I love your site
Peter Zelchenko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
re: eggplant - a simple way to avoid all the salting and rinsing is this - once the onions garlic etc are done add the eggplant separately and cook for a while before adding any other ingredients - this will remove the bitterness as it will cook off the fluid.

That doesn't make sense. How does merely evaporating the water out of the eggplant remove the bitter component that will remain in the pan? And once you add other liquids, it will be reinfused into the moisture.

From the responses I've read and from my experience, I think the salting will work, if you are patient and remove enough liquid. That means you need enough salt. You can actually take the eggplant and squeeze it as hard as you want, like a sponge, to get even more of liquid out. This is more appropriate for when you want to deep-fry eggplant, but it will get lots of moisture out.
arkaren80

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: What about nutrients? Reply with quote

If you keep squeezing the moisture out of the eggplants and then simmer the veggies for a long time in the pot, won't all the nutrients evaporate as well? What will the nutritive value of ratatouille be?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that eggplant is bitter may actually no longer be true - improved varieties do not demonstrate such a strong tendency. at one time, peeling eggplant was considered "mandatory" due to "bitterness" - that is definitely no longer true in my first hand experience.

salting the eggplant to remove water has another effect: slices / pieces maintain their shape and consistency better vs. going to mush when cooked.

same with sliced cucumbers in german cucumber salad - slice, salt, allow to stand & drain water keeps them crispier & crunchier.
luv2cook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: ratatoille Reply with quote

My mother-in-law taught me how to remove the bitterness of eggplant and I find it works very well. Slice the eggplant and layer on a baking sheet. Next sprinkle sugar lightly over all and let set for an hour. Rinse well before preparing your dish or the eggplant will be sweet. This method also firms up the flesh. I love this site.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: an alternatıve for parsley? Reply with quote

Im plannıng on makıng thıs dısh for dınner tomorrow evening for my husband and frıend. The only thıng ıs we all hate parsley and was wonderıng what would be a good alternatıve. Also I only have drıed basıl so how much of that should I use ınstead ıf fresh??? Thanks cant waıt to get cookıng.
flunazuniga123@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: an alternatıve for parsley? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Im plannıng on makıng thıs dısh for dınner tomorrow evening for my husband and frıend. The only thıng ıs we all hate parsley and was wonderıng what would be a good alternatıve. Also I only have drıed basıl so how much of that should I use ınstead ıf fresh??? Thanks cant waıt to get cookıng.

A good substitute for parsley is finely cut, fresh celery leaves to be used in small amounts as it is stronger tasting than parsley. Concerning the bitterness of the aubergine it is less so if one uses new or fresh ones, also I neutralize the bitterness by adding slices of apple on top of the aubergine when cooking the ingredients the way Remy did
michael b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Ratatouille Reply with quote

Michael,

I happened to make Ratatouille the other night, and had really excellent results. The recipe I used did not use broth - and alternately used fresh tomatoes and no stock of any kind. Also - after browning the onions and eggplant, and adding the rest of the veges the cooking was finished in the oven with an herb garni. I'm sure there are 100s of variations on this, but have you ever tried it this way? My results were very stellar.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Once some of the paste starts to still to the pan and brown, it's time to add the stock (about one minute)."

"still" = "stick", correct?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
"Once some of the paste starts to still to the pan and brown, it's time to add the stock (about one minute)."

"still" = "stick", correct?

Stick is correct. I've correct the article.
pzelchenko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"correct" => "corrected", right?

(SICR)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: