Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scallion pancakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lintballoon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Scallion pancakes Reply with quote

I made scallion pancakes last night based on a recipe from a co-worker, which were dissappointing.
They came out very flour-ey tasting. Wondering if anyone here can tell me where I went wrong?
(sorry, no measurements here)
I put approximately one cup of all purpose flour in a bowl, and poured in hot water until it started to clump. I very, very briefly mixed until the dough would hold together in a ball. Then I rolled the dough out into a flat disk. I topped the disk with chopped scallions, and then rolled the disk into a cigar shape, (scallions on inside). I cut the cigar shape into five sections, flattened them, rolled them into about .125 inch thick disks, and then leafed them in wax paper and let them rest in the fridge for an hour within a plastic bag. At this point the dough was very soft and malable, no gluten action (dough getting tough and stretchy).
When I took them out of the fridge, I rolled them again, very thin .0625", and tossed them one by on into a hot pan with melted bacon fat. They cooked pretty fast, a minute or so per side. As they finished, I held them in a warm toaster over until the rest of my meal was ready.
They ended up tasting of raw flour instead of the crispy on the outside, chewing on the inside scallion-ey taste I was craving. What did I do wrong? Too thin, too high heat?
Oh yeah, and I forgot the salt when mixing the dough so I salted them after cooking, which also added a queer raw salt flavor.
Any hints appreciated.
Channa

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Scallion pancakes Reply with quote

Lintballoon wrote:

They ended up tasting of raw flour

I think you may have answered your own question: the dough wasn't cooked all the way through. You probably had the fat too hot and the outside browned before the inside had a chance to cook. (Why are you using bacon fat?) Another thing, your dough was cold from having been refrigerated, so that made it even harder to cook through.

Try again with room temp dough, and don't have the oil/fat too hot. You might want to put a thin layer of sesame oil/lard/shortening on the dough before you sprinkle on the onion. That will make the dough flakier. Don't skimp on the onion. And don't forget the salt! Good luck!
MissLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!! Did you spread a thin layer of oil/animal fat on the flat dough before adding the scallions? If not, that's the reason.

The Chinese term for this literally means 'Scallion Oil Pancakes." Without the oil, it will undoubtedly not taste right.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum