Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food safe glue for earthenware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Food safe glue for earthenware Reply with quote

I would like to fix a lid for my favorite Casserole.

I went to a few craft stores, but none of the adhesives mentioned that they were food safe ...

Does anyone know of a specific glue that I could use?

Thanks.

ML
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Food safe glue for earthenware Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I would like to fix a lid for my favorite Casserole.
I went to a few craft stores, but none of the adhesives mentioned that they were food safe ...
Does anyone know of a specific glue that I could use?

Thanks.

ML

To fix a lid in a casserole, you not only need a strong glue, it has to be heat proof. My choice would be to use a clear GE silicone seal or an adhesive gasket making silicone. (A lot of bakeware and spatulas are coming out in silicone these days.) The clear would be almost invisible, heat proof up to a point that you would realistically be cooking, and because it cures in the presence of oxygen, it should be free of unpolymerized material in a few days. Heck, if the lid has been broken and not used, if the specs say it takes 24 hours to fully cure, and you let it sit around for another few days, you should be in good shape with it.

Make sure the pieces are scrupulously clean and dry--maybe for 24 hours prior to gluing. Make sure the pieces stay in intimate contact while the glue sets without any movement during curing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum