Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to salvage runny baked cookie bars

View previous topic :: View next topic  
szechjeff

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: How to salvage runny baked cookie bars Reply with quote

As a non-baker I should definitely eschew the oven.

Well, we were invited to bring a dessert to a Memorial Day gathering. I found a pecan pie cookie bar recipe ... and being the clever non-baker, I decided to "improvise" ... to "improve" the end product.

In lieu of flour for the crust, I thought that I would substitute shortbread crumbs. I used a food processor to reduce the shortbread cookies to a fine powder. I measured the 3 cups of crumbed shortbreads into the brown sugar and my partner in crime added the butter.

Actually, keeping in mind the old adage about "two too many" cooks in the kitchen, my partner read the second part of the recipe, the section dealing with the "filling," and used "melted butter" instead of the called for bits of butter for the crumb crust.

Not being a baker, I remarked upon how "liquidy" the crumb mixture appeared. My partner suggested that we cool the butter in the freezer. I did so and then pressed the chilled mixture into the bottom of a 9 X 14 inch pyrex pan. Next, I popped it into the pre-heated 400 degree F. oven for the stated baking time of 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes I had some crust on the edges but a soupy buttery mixture that was pooled in the center. I was not impressed but decided to proceed with my experiment and added the pecan pie filling.

Baked it for another 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. Reduced the temperature to 325 degrees F. and baked for another 20 minutes.

The result smelled heavenly but was not "set" and resembled a flowing pecan cobbler-esque topping supebly suited for spooning over vanilla ice cream.

Is there anyway to salvage this "creation" or should I just stick to being a non-baker?

Your suggestions, comments, and well-deserved chastisements are humbly solicited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum