Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whole Chickens vs Boneless Chicken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTepera

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Whole Chickens vs Boneless Chicken Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide whether it's more economical to buy whole chickens and debone them myself, or to buy deboned chicken on sale. Does anyone know on average what percentage of weight of a whole chicken is bones, and what percentage is meat? I've been all over the internet looking, and can't find anything.
SirSpice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I live it seems that for the amount of meat I get it's the same, but I do get to keep the bones to make stock (though I rarely do).
McDee

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to your question depends on whether you will use the trim and how well you can bone a chicken.

Conduct a butcher's yield test to decide whether it's worth the price to buy your meat pre-fabricated.

As purchased weight (APW) x purchase price ($/#) = As purchased price (APP) (should be the same as on your recpt)
-or-
APW x $/# = APP

Bone the chicken

Weigh the bones and trim = (waste or usable)
Weigh the meat = Fabricated weight (FW)

Fabricated cost per pound = APP/FW

Is the fabricated cost per pound significantly different than your cost for pre-fabricated meat? How much money are you willing to pay the butcher to do the job for you?

Do you use the bones for stock?
Do you use the trim for something else?
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Whole Chickens vs Boneless Chicken Reply with quote

CTepera wrote:
I'm trying to decide whether it's more economical to buy whole chickens and debone them myself, or to buy deboned chicken on sale. Does anyone know on average what percentage of weight of a whole chicken is bones, and what percentage is meat? I've been all over the internet looking, and can't find anything.

From 2 of my butchers, said it's about a 50% loss on meat versus bones. But as others have mentioned, it's less if you use the bones.

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum