Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to identify brass+anodized aluminum pan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milan

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: How to identify brass+anodized aluminum pan? Reply with quote

I have recently purchased set of 3 brass - aluminum pans from 2nd hand shop. They look pretty new without major defaults.

My concerns however is whether the inner aluminum part is hard or anodized (thus for what cooking can I use it).

Does anyone have an easy way to test it?

Thanks!
SirSpice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you concerned about cooking on exposed aluminum? Anodized aluminum usually looks like a dull, gray/navy-blue. Are the pans brass on the outside and aluminum on the inside cooking surface?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirSpice wrote:
Are you concerned about cooking on exposed aluminum? Anodized aluminum usually looks like a dull, gray/navy-blue. Are the pans brass on the outside and aluminum on the inside cooking surface?

they look more like pure aluminum - i took the picture but don't know how to post it Smile
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to post the picture elsewhere (like flickr.com) and link to the image.
SirSpice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
they look more like pure aluminum - i took the picture but don't know how to post it Smile

If it looks like pure aluminum than it's definitely not anodized.

Heres how I post pictures:
1) go to http://www.imageshack.us/
2) click browse and find your picture
3) click host it
4) you'll get a list of URLs for the picture
5) copy the one all the way at the bottom near the label that says "direct link to image"
6) come back here
7) paste the URL in your post
8) highlight it, and click the "Img" button which should make it look like this [img](URL goes here)[/img]

Preview it and you should see if it worked.
There are websites like flickr and photobucket that let you store and view your images online, but if you're just gonna post a pic I like imageshack.
Milan

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: With the picture Reply with quote

Ok, here we go http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=paniz8.jpg

Hope it is in detail enough, might you want any other detail, I'll take new picture. Thanks!
SirSpice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice, how do you know the inside is aluminum?
Milan

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirSpice wrote:
Looks nice, how do you know the inside is aluminum?

Well, I am almost sure that it is not stainless steel. As far as I know aluminum, that was the closest guess. But of course I am not sure. The aluminum reacts with acid and that was one of the ways I wanted to test the pan. However I don't know what should I actually test - if I heat up lemon in pan, what can it do? See the different color? Clean the stain all the night? Or call firemen? Really don't know.
SirSpice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think It will discolor and turn black, which you can remove with something like Barkeeper's Friend.

Try scratching it with a brass key, aluminum is much softer than stainless steel.

Last edited by SirSpice on Fri May 18, 2007 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How to identify brass+anodized aluminum pan? Reply with quote

Milan wrote:
I have recently purchased set of 3 brass - aluminum pans from 2nd hand shop. They look pretty new without major defaults.

My concerns however is whether the inner aluminum part is hard or anodized (thus for what cooking can I use it).

Thanks!

That's a copper pan with a tin lining.

Biggles
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How to identify brass+anodized aluminum pan? Reply with quote

Milan wrote:

Thanks!

And buy the looks of the cast iron handle, that'd be a 3mm thick commercial grade copper pan.

Biggles
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw the pic. That is definitely a tinned, copper pan. Don't use too much steel wool on the inside or you'll find yourself needing to re-tin it.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
I just saw the pic. That is definitely a tinned, copper pan. Don't use too much steel wool on the inside or you'll find yourself needing to re-tin it.

Uh, too much? If you use anything more abrasive than a soft sponge, warm water and dish soap you'll ruin it. Trust me, I've been through the pink/white scrubby routine and barkeepers friend. Pan ruined. Cost me 65 bux to have retinnned. Don't let food sit in it after cooking, clean promptly.

Cold pan, cold oil. Never preheat. Tin has a very low melting point.

That being said, you won't find a more conductive pan, ever. You can put a crust on pork chops with just a sprinkle of salt. Mushrooms or whatever release their moisture when browning so fast there's no time for soggy results. The fond produced is incomparable. There's a reason French & Italiant chefs cherish them so. Many times they won't even allow the dishwashers to tend to them.

Don't feel too bad if they turn out to be too much of a chore. While I'd never trade mine away, they are most certainly not for every day use. At least for me anyhoo. Consider these fine folks if'n you're in need of some retinning.

http://www.rockymountainretinning.com/

Biggles
SirSpice

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBiggles wrote:
That being said, you won't find a more conductive pan, ever.

Silver lining is a tinge more conductive, but I wouldn't wanna pay for something like that.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirSpice wrote:
DrBiggles wrote:
That being said, you won't find a more conductive pan, ever.

Silver lining is a tinge more conductive, but I wouldn't wanna pay for something like that.

Yeah, I have a homemade pair of speakers where I used some crazy small stranded silver wire with a teflon insulation. Something my boss bought military surplus years ago.

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum