Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Carrot Pulp Cake, Part I
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ijoemonkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: some notes Reply with quote

when i was 8 i used to wake up early and peel and grate carrots so that my mom would make me carrot cake.

I don't know where her recipe has gone, but I do remember that pineapple juice was used (perhaps simply NOT squeezing it out and also including maybe 4 Tbsp) in the cake and some juice in the creamcheese frosting.

Also, like somebody else mentioned, used to add carrots and blend to the egg/oil/sugar mixture BEFORE the flour.

Also wanted to say thank you for your detailed experimentation on the chocolate chip cookie! It really helped when adapting japanese ingredients to the old american fave!
Larry Caruso

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Pulp carrot cake Reply with quote

great ! I added walnuts and pinned pricked raisons soaked in rum to the batter and put the pineapple in the frosting ....Delicious! Also added some butter used splenda and increased baking time to 60 minutes .
although I kept the pineapple in the batter next time I'm going to try it with the pineapple in the icing only.If you soak raisons you can vacuum pack them with the rum to speed up infusion. thanks much, now I have to go put on some extra weight.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That recipe sounds delicious. I have to wait to try it at my next special occasion. If I drank all that healthy fresh carrot juice on a regular basis, I would gain weight having to "dispose" of all the pulp in those cakes!! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: I made this Reply with quote

I made this with the following changes and it was REALLY good. Actually so good that i am going to make it again but with nuts. .... it really seemed to be missing the nuts.

These are my changes.

2 cups of carrot apple pulp tightly packed (this was rather moist as i had the granny smiths in there with the skins)

no cloves- i dont like them or their flavor

no oil- used apple sauce instead

2 cups of plain white sugar - didnt have any brown

I baked this in a bunt pan for about 90 min at 250ish - but i have a small oven so i always lower the heat significantly because things tend to burn.

Overall result- SUPER MOIST cake, not gooeye or anything, it was fully done and a quite dense. I actually enjoy it with lightly sweetened sour cream on my piece- not frosting but just some sweetened sour cream, the tanginess plays really well with the sweetness of the cake.

Next time i am putting in lots of nuts.

Thank you for sharing this as i always felt bad throwing out my pulp
chefkatcobb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Carrot Pulp Cake Reply with quote

I made this using pulp from Carrot, Spinach, Beet, Celery, Cucumber. Since that is the juice I make everyday for me and the kids. I used fresh pineapple instead of canned, and made the Frosting from Toffuti Cream Cheese. I also added some shredded carrots for texture.

Then Baked them in cupcake pan so my kids would eat them as well as a good portion control. 375 for 30 minutes

IT WAS GREAT!!!! Thank you for this recipe to build off off! Love it.

Do you have any other recipes using pulp from the juicer????? If yes send them my way Please...
Thanks,
Chef Kathleen Cobb
Cheers2GoodHealth.com
Chef24Kat@Cheers2GoodHealth.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Supplementing fluid loss Reply with quote

Instead of pineapple pulp, you can probably add apple juice to replace the fluid lost from juicing
beadaholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: the Carrot Pulp cake! Reply with quote

The bundt pan is the best way I think to cook this, I just made it and the center part is still uncooked. With a Bundt pan I think it would be narrow enough to cook all the way through. I have eaten one of the corners of mine and it is very good! My pulp has mostly carrots, but also some cucumber, and some pineapple pulp, I figure it doesn't matter really. I also used small chunk pineapple instead and did not crush it, I just scooped it out of the big can until I figure I had 1/2 of the can in there. I am not one of those people who cook with exact measurements. I probably should have let is mix less in my mixer as well, it would have been better I am sure, but I am pretty happy with it. The pulp I saved in the refri for a few days until I had enough. Otherwise no changes and no frosting, it is already very sweet!
beadaholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continued to cook the cake loner at a lower temp until done in the center, it is all gone now, and we are making another one, and it is similar, although time time it has left over pulp from beets, apples and carrots. I decided to throw in two overripe bananas too, plus some peacans. Next time I think I will add in some coconut and possibly some chocolate chips. I added this time Ginger to the mix as well. Can't be spicey enough for me. Anyway, the trick is to cook it at a lower temp for a longer period of time especially if you do not have a bundt pan. I don't add in the frosting either, no need unless you want to have a diabetic attack. hehe, enough with the sweetness of the fruit, veggies....and the already added sugar. It is a dense moist cake that is delicious. I think just about any pulp will do.
Rhonda Bates

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Carrot Pulp Cake Reply with quote

HI, I TRIED YOUR CARROT PULP CAKE AND MADE A FEW CHANGES. INSTEAD OF SUGAR I USED 1/2 CUP GRANULATED SATIVA AND 3/4 CUP AGAVE. NO SUGAR!!! 1 CUP OLIVE OIL [ IT DID NOT OVERPOWER THE FLAVOR] AND 4 CUPS OF CARROT PULP. NO PINEAPPLE OR RAISONS.
FOR THE FROSTING I USED ONE BLOCK OF CREAM CHEESE 5 TABLESPOONS BUTTER 1/2 TSP OF VANILLA. TWO INDIVIDUAL SIZE SERVINGS OF SATIVA AND A DASH OF AGAVE. IT IS PLENTY SWEET. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS THE SAME. I GOT THE SATIVA BY EMPTYING A WHOLE BOX OF INDIVIDUAL PACKETS LESS TWO I USED FOR THE FROSTING. MY HUSBAND AND I AGREE IT IS THE BEST CAKE I EVER COOKED! I COOKED IT AT 350 FOR 40 MIN AND IT WAS NOT SOGGY OR UNDERCOOKED, IT WAS BEAUTIFUL! AND VERY MOIST!
THANKS FOR YOUR INSPIRATION!!!
mollie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: ADJUSTMENT FOR CELIACS Reply with quote

I actually modified this recipe to be gluten free!!! It was amazing!!!!! To get a a good GF Flour ratio mix

1 1/2 c Sorghum Flour
1 1/2 cpotato or corn starch
1 cup Tapioca Flour

(this will make more than you need, so put is aside next time you bake! It's from Gluten Free Quick & Easy by Carol Fenster)

I also pinched in a little Xanthan Gum as well
Valley Mills, TX guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: celiac disease and baked goods Reply with quote

Try substituting rice flour or gluten free baking mix. Adding 1/2 tsp guar gum per cup of flour (mix well with flour first) helps baked goods "stay risen" rather than so heavy and dense.
avkrishnan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: querry on the carrot,beets,tomato and apple pulp cake Reply with quote

kindly inform the alternative vegitarian item to eggs as i dot eat eggs,WHILE USING THE PULP
loriw227

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: carrot cake Reply with quote

I too juice, and I just usually save a little of the juice to add back to the cake batter. It does not take much. I also add 1 to2 tablespoons of honey. It keeps almost anything from being too dry.

I use the same receipe for carrot muffins to take to work. I just don't frost them and it saves you a bundle of calories, but they are still better than store bought muffins, even without the frosting.

I also use the carrot or vegetable pulp for soups and stews.

Good Luck!
Cabbie Jim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Can I use carrot pulp from a juicer in a carrot souffle? Reply with quote

I'm juicing a bunch of carrots and found a recipe for a soufflé. Was wondering if I could use the pulp in place of steamed and mashed carrots?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the recipe for an egg based souffle or a "puffed" carrot base?

I do a sweet potato "souffle" - no eggs - I imagine a carrot 'puree' from the juicer would work as well - could be a bit drier - some attention to "moisture level" may be helpful.

let us know how it turns out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: