Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Campbell's Green Bean Casserole
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Recipe File: Campbell's Green Bean Casserole Reply with quote

Article Digest:
Green bean casserole is a classic homestyle favorite in American homes. This particular recipe from Campbell's is probably the most popular recipe for green bean casserole. Not only is it easy to make, but it's delicious. The "correct" way to make Campbell's Green Bean Casserole is, of course, to use Campbell's brand Condensed Cream of Mushroom soup and French's brand Original French Fried Onions. Of course, any other brand of cream of mushroom and french fried onions will do.

Assemble the ingredients: 3/4 cup whole milk, 1/8 tsp. pepper, 10-3/4 oz. can cream of mushroom, two 14.5 oz. cans of cut green beans, and 1-1/3 cups french fried onions.
[IMG]

Open the cans and drain the water from the green beans. Pour all the ingredients except for 2/3 cup onions into a 1-1/2 quart casserole (I used a 8 in. square baking pan)
[IMG]

Mix.
[IMG]

Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30 minutes.
[IMG]

After thirty minutes in the oven, the casserole should be nice and hot. Take it out and top with the reserved onions. Bake for an additional five minutes.

[IMG]

Campbell's Green Bean Casserole (serves six)
<td colspan=5 style="text-align:center">Preheat oven to 350°F
2 14.5 oz. cans of cut green beansdrainmixbake 350°F 30 min.bake 350°F 5 min.
3/4 cup whole milk
1/8 tsp. pepper
10-3/4 oz. can cream of mushroom
2/3 cup french fried onions
2/3 cup french fried onions
Copyright Michael Chu 2004
The Chunky Girl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a classic! Brings back memories... my family always served this at Thanksgiving.

Eeek, yeah. Brings back memories.

I attempted to cook my way through a 1965 Campbell's cook book. I couldn't do it. Just too darned icky and when I found myself searching for Cream of Shrimp I called it quits.

Dr. B. / MeatHenge
Ankx

Hi, can you tell me how to make a Pizza and its base too.I really love pizza and hope you could send me its recpie....

bye
my blog: http://knightsofdawn_ankx.blogspot.com

bye
Ankx
The Chunky Girl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cream of Shrimp? Do they really make that?

yes, they really do make cream of shrimp soup...and yes it is as digusting as it sounds (i lost a bet once and had to eat some straight...not a pleasant memory)
Shy

thank you for the dinner ideas. i will now have something better than Wendy's to eat while i blog and study.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must take exception to your statement that any other brand of cream of mushroom soup would do. I want to warn against the store brands! I am frugal (okay, okay--cheap!) and have tried the store brands and they are SO not worth the few pennies saved. In fact, they taste so bad, they'll ruin what you put them in!
Now, maybe brands that are MORE expensive than Campbell's would work (haven't tried any of those!), but do yourself a favor and do not use store brands.
Karen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite potluck recipes (cuz hubby doesn't care for it, I don't make it at home)

Using frozen green beans is tastier than canned.

Happy cooking!
Aileen
Bonnie_repost

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, using frozen green beans is a tastier option for this casserole.
Randy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to add a bit (I don't measure... maybe 2 teaspoons worth) of Worcestershire sauce to my green bean casserole. Of course, you must use name brand Lea and Perrins Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i was to double up on all the ingredients to make it for 12 pepole how long do i need to cook it? double the time?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: doubled recipe

I would bake it only a few minutes longer (this actually depends on the shape of your pan). Instead of baking for 30 min., bake for 40 min. It's ready when the edges just begin to bubble. At that point, just add the final topping of french fried onions and bake for 5 min.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK THANK YOU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to make this ahead as it is for a church potluck. do you loose quality if you make it and refrigerate it the night before? (green bean)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: