Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fried rice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous Coward

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Fried rice Reply with quote

Does anyone have any good recipes for fried rice? Preferably without mushrooms (or able to leave mushrooms out).
Ma_USMC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how most people do their fried rice, but for me there are a few important factors. The first being that you need to cook rice and let it sit for 16-24hrs in a fridge. It sounds weird but rice cooked prior to frying seems to turn out with a less sticky texture. For the most part its just a combination of whatever ingredients you want and a few spices. Namely, garlic powder, a little white pepper and the usual salt and pepper. Sesame oil is greatly appreciated and even a little dash of rice wine. An egg cracked (not scrambled) and chopped with the rice and of course soy sauce. Beyond that its up to you. Ham or hot dogs works well with any assortment of veggies. Cooking in a wok adds even more flavor. Really fried rice is what you make it or what you want in it, have fun with it.
julian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't have to do what Ma_USMC says. just steam the rice and prepare your veggies, (I like baby corn,mushroom,but you did not want that, and basil, preferably thai basil, and pepper, any kind but i love diced jalapeno)
Put some oil in pot to saute the veggies , add the rice ,add soy sauce ,salt and pepper to taste, and any meat you want. Do as it is done at japanese steakhouses. Gurantee this will be awesome. Smile
MissLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make fried rice only when I have leftover rice and don't feel like doing anything complicated.

I first scramble one or two eggs and fry them. Then I add chopped scallions. Those are necessary to my dish. I add ham, peas, carrots, shrimp--whatever! Sprinkle some salt and then dump the cold rice in and crush it with a spatula. It's delicious!

Cheers!
Watt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissLinda wrote:
I make fried rice only when I have leftover rice and don't feel like doing anything complicated.

I first scramble one or two eggs and fry them. Then I add chopped scallions. Those are necessary to my dish. I add ham, peas, carrots, shrimp--whatever! Sprinkle some salt and then dump the cold rice in and crush it with a spatula. It's delicious!

Cheers!

sounds like nasi goreng, one of my favs, especially with bacon and thin sliced omelette, great for brunch, using left over rice. Chicken and prawns/shrimp added sometimes. Heres one I made earlier, though with lots of 'srooms:

MissLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, though this is more along the lines of what I was describing. Just made 5 minutes ago.

skittle_bugg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: fried rice! Reply with quote

Was just browsing, your recipe's interesting.. here's what i do for mine.

Cook your rice.
Stir Fry some veggies:
bell peppers, carrots, toss in baby corn, spring onions---lightly stir fry them with a bit of soy sauce, salt and pepper.
make a plain omelette. Let it cool.
Take your rice... season it with a bit of olive oil and add in 3 tbsp of soy sauce. mix well!
Add in your veggies.
Chop up your omelette into little shreds... add it to the rice. Give it all a nice mix, and you have it!!! Big smile
Watt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: 'fried' rice Reply with quote

it is not obvious from the last two recipes, nor from the photo from MissLinda whether the rice is fried. Surely, for fried rice, the rice is actually fried?

just thoughts
Watt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum