Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soggy Breaded Chicken?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Soggy Breaded Chicken? Reply with quote

I need some advice. When I make breaded chicken, it never comes out nice and crispy like how my mom used to make it. I use bone-in chicken thighs (because they are so much cheaper than boneless chicken breast). I am not sure if I am supposed to skin the chicken before I coat it, or if it would be better to keep the skin on. Personally, I would want to remove it.

The coating I use is simple breadcrumbs. I dip the chicken in beated egg and then shake it in a bag with the crumbs. When it is coated as evenly enough as I can get it, I bake it in the oven. By the time it is done, the coating is greasy and soggy.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?
Anon

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper breading technique involves:

1- dredge item in flour, shake off all excess.
2- dip in egg/milk mixture, shake off excess.
3- roll generously in breadcrumbs

Sogginess would probably come from frying oil that is not hot enough. Heat your oil and test with a little ball of egg & breadcrubs- if it doesn't sizzle and brown immediatly, your oil isn't hot enough.

You can also spray the breaded chicken with a little Pam and bake your chicken (turning once) with good results and probably less chance of sogginess (also less clean-up).
Crystal

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I'll make sure to try this the next time I want crispy chicken! Smile
julian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Soggy Breaded Chicken? Reply with quote

I don't bread chicken but I do fish. The trick is to roll it in flour at least twice and then add breadcrumbs and a lot of them. Then the chicken needs to be fried promptly and in at least 1/2 inch to an inch of oil in a pan. If you will deepfry, then fill it about halfway. You're welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three most important tricks I found for frying in oil:

-make sure you have enough oil and don't overcrowd the pan
-use a good frying oil, my favorite is peanut oil because it doesn't have any smell or taste
-take the plunge and buy a fry thermometer, it's very cheap and you'll know exactly how to fry your food right

For quick cooking things I'd start putting stuff in at 360 and keep it at 350 by adjusting the heat from time to time. For cooking chicken thighs I'd go lower to around 325 and cook it longer.
julian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with SirSpice. Peanut,canola, and vegetable oils are best for frying and don't forget how much oil you use and oil temp are most important. Wink
opqdan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your problem lies completely in that you are baking them. It is possible to get crispy breaded chicken by baking, but you'll have to fiddle with it a bit. Spraying with oil will help, and I would also suggest placing the chicken onto a rack over a sheet pan so that liquid could drip away and not sit in contact with the breading, especially with thighs and anything with the skin on.

I would also make sure that you follow the breading suggestions of thin coat flou, followed by egg, followed by bread crumbs. This causes the breading the adhere much better to the surface of the chicken.

Also as another suggestion, one of the recipes on this site is for baked onion rings where the breading is made from potato chips and saltines (if I remember correctly). This is similar to a recipe I've seen in Cook's Country a few times, and it always turns out excellent and super crispy. I haven't tried this on baked chicken (I fry my chicken, arteries be darned* Smile ), but it seems like it could work out very well.

*: Correctly fried chicken isn't actually much worse for you than baked as the goal is to actually soak up as little oil as possible.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Soggy Breaded Chicken? Reply with quote

Crystal wrote:
I need some advice. When I make breaded chicken, it never comes out nice and crispy like how my mom used to make it. I use bone-in chicken thighs (because they are so much cheaper than boneless chicken breast). I am not sure if I am supposed to skin the chicken before I coat it, or if it would be better to keep the skin on. Personally, I would want to remove it.

The coating I use is simple breadcrumbs. I dip the chicken in beated egg and then shake it in a bag with the crumbs. When it is coated as evenly enough as I can get it, I bake it in the oven. By the time it is done, the coating is greasy and soggy.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Opqdan is spot on. It's the spraying of the oil right before you put slide the chicken, lay chicken pieces on rack and oven should be at least 375.

Try Panko bread crumbs if you can find them, that'll surely get some explosions in your mouth. I've also used potato flakes as a coating, works nicely. It is a bit trashy for most, but still kinda fun.

OH, also make sure the pan you're roasting in doesn't have high sides. Such as one with 1 1/2 inches or more. You want all sides to get as much direct heat as possible.

Biggles
youngcook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost impossible,Crystal. You will be baking the wings, not frying 'em. You can only get crispy chicken when you fry it! Big smile
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngcook wrote:
Almost impossible,Crystal. You will be baking the wings, not frying 'em. You can only get crispy chicken when you fry it! Big smile

Not true! Here's proof.

http://www.cyberbilly.com/meathenge/archives/001033.html

And the ones I do with panko bread crumbs explode with crunchiness.

I want to make this perfectly clear. I am in NO way saying baked chicken is the same at all when compared to the shallow or deep fried version. My only point is it does come out crunchy and it is good.

Biggles
youngcook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried it before biggles. It is not good. When you bake wings, you get hard , but not crunchy (more like rock-hard),chicken.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngcook wrote:
I have tried it before biggles. It is not good. When you bake wings, you get hard , but not crunchy (more like rock-hard),chicken.

You did it wrong.

Biggles
sklc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Dry them first Reply with quote

Please make sure you dry meat with a paper towel before attempting to bread it! Also, ensure that the meat is defrosted...

Leave nothing to chance, so I'm not sure whether you had followed the basic principal of patting the wings dry... Cool
Taamar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you insist on baking your chicken, use Panko instead of regular bread crumbs.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taamar wrote:
If you insist on baking your chicken, use Panko instead of regular bread crumbs.

Oh, I suggested that already. PC ain't listenin'. Looks as though I may have cook a load and put up a post.

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum