Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balsamic vinegar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janateach

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Balsamic vinegar Reply with quote

Looking for a good, not overpriced balsamic vinegar. What can I get in the $20 range?

Oh, as a Georgia Tech grad, I love the site.

Easy as 3.14,

Jana
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tina and I really enjoy John Spenger Foods Bistro Blends Basalmic Vinegar.
MeganAmyH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of balsemic are you looking for? Something sweet, something a little more tangy?

For sweet, my favourite is Olivier Balsemic Vinegar, which I get from Williams-Sonoma. Here it's shown in a cruet set with olive oil, but they now sell a big bottle for $21. I can eat the stuff on ice cream!

For tangy, I get the White Balsemic from my local Trader Joes. It's about 1.99 a bottle (laugh), and is incredible for marinading raw onion. It's got some sweetness, but is a little more raw in flavour.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, COSTCO has an excellent Balsamic vinegar under the KIRKLAND brand. A one liter bottle is about ten dollars. A friend turned me on to it. It will make your tastebuds smile! Even if you doubt this, ten dollars is inexpensive enough to make it worth a try. You'll like it.
MeganAmyH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know...I keep looking at it and wondering if it's worth it.

Is their olive oil worth it too?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Costco's extra virgin olive oil (the Kirkland branded product) very much. To me it has a fruity and peppery taste which goes well with the dishes I prepare on a regular basis. I did not like the Kirkland baslamic vinegar as much as the John Spenger Bistro Blend.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MeganAmyH wrote:
Good to know...I keep looking at it and wondering if it's worth it.

Is their olive oil worth it too?

You can't go by me on olive oil. I love all types of olives, but I don't like olive oil of any type, at any price by any company. You can sautee my food in clarified butter, please. After many side by side by side tests, Plugra tastes and smells best--it even beat out the organic brands!
MeganAmyH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, since I now have to deal with an allergy to cow's milk, olive oil it is for me. The amount we go through these days is somewhat astonishing, and it's too pricey.
CookNewb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Costco brand balsamic vinager also. However i find it unusually sweet for a balsamic vinager. That is, it tastes really nice but for a blsamic vinager to be that sweet, it should be aged quite a bit. Perhaps they add sugar to it and "forget" to mention it under the ingridients.

A second observaton which makes me suspicious is that the Costco balsamic vinager stains my teeeth like nothing else!! My teeth literally start taking the colour of the vinager! No other balsamic vinager does that to me. Might they be adding artificial colorings and again"forgetting" to list them under the Ingridients?
youngcook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love kirkland and another brand which I forgot the name of but I will look up. I just love balsmic vinegar aged for a few years in a wooden cask.Don't you? Big smile
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CookNewb wrote:
I love the Costco brand balsamic vinager also. However i find it unusually sweet for a balsamic vinager. That is, it tastes really nice but for a blsamic vinager to be that sweet, it should be aged quite a bit. Perhaps they add sugar to it and "forget" to mention it under the ingridients.

A second observaton which makes me suspicious is that the Costco balsamic vinager stains my teeeth like nothing else!! My teeth literally start taking the colour of the vinager! No other balsamic vinager does that to me. Might they be adding artificial colorings and again"forgetting" to list them under the Ingridients?

I also like the Kirkland Balsamic vinegar and have it about five times a week. As far as balsamic vinegar staining teeth is concerned, it won't stain intact healthy enamel or porcelain veneers or crowns. Thorough brushing and flossing will prevent that from occurring. Balsamic vinegar can stain old resin composite restorations (tooth colored fillings) with defective margins and can stain acrylic crowns or temporaries. In most instances the stain can be polished off, but the junctions between the tooth and fillings often collect stain that cannot be polished off. You can also get stain at the junction of porcelain veneers and the tooth along the cement line if they aren't carefully cemented and bonded to place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum