Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What coffee is your favorite?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sabrina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: What coffee is your favorite? Reply with quote

Mine is Javaberry. The smoothest. What is yours? What do you like in coffee?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great question, and one which is surprising not to have been brought up before.

I don't have one favorite coffee, but I have certain general preferences. First for most of the coffee I drink during the day, I prefer lighter roast coffees, but brewed fairly strong, usually about 90 to 100 grams (yes, I'm a nut and I weight it) to a 64 ounce commercial Bloomfield/Bunn pot. My kitchen coffee maker is a commercial pourover Bloomfield model with three warmers. A pound of coffee makes almost five pots of the brew. I am trying to wean myself down to a "75 gram" pot because most people who have to drink my coffee are a little bowled over by its strength. I like Fairway's Organic Mexican, Panamanian and Peruvian. I used to get their organic Timor, but stopped because there are other coffees I like, and I didn't want to support an economy and government that had rampant, random killings. I also like Zabar's Viennese Roast and if I want something dark, either alone or to blend into a light roast for a little more of a well roasted/more cooked bean flavor, I'll use their French or Italian roasts. I always know their coffees are freshly roasted because Zabars for example roasts and sells over 8000 (not a typo) pounds of their coffee each WEEK in their one store. I usually put a little half and half in my coffee.
Ishbel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Blue Mountain Jamaican coffee - also Colombian or Puerto Rican to use at work.

I always use a cafetiere (Think that's a French press in American English!)
youngcook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not drink coffee. Don't think it is safe and do not like it's smell.Ughh.
Thor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Java Reply with quote

I'm with GaryProtein. I don't have specific favorites. I enjoy anything properly roasted, properly brewed and unflavored. City roasts really float my boat, nice balance between roast flavor and bean type flavor. I prefer my Joe with a splash of half and half, but that's not crucial to my enjoyment.

My brother has a coffee, tea and candy shop. He echoes the importance of freshness. He deciphered the date coding on his supplier's packaging, and regularly returns shipments that are too old for his liking.

My home brewer is Bunn's home model pour over. It keeps one pot's worth of water perpetually heated for brewing. It does a decent job for the half a pot it normally brews per day. Its real advantages are that it can brew a full pot in about 3 minutes and that it can brew partial pots. I have been considering a Bunn A10A, a single burner light commercial model that has a piped water supply and a half pot brew option. Just haven't brought myself to cough up $300 plus labor to run the supply tubing.
opqdan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a cup of coffee I prefer a medium city roast, depending on who makes it. For my espresso I like to use a darker French roast. I once tried to use an Italian roast but the whole thing tasted burned, so that's where I draw the line.

Since I live in Seattle, I have a lot of options as to where I get my beans. Right now, I get them from a local roaster a mile or 2 from my apartment. They roast on premises, but I haven't been there yet on a day when they are actually roasting.

I use a Bodum French press to make my coffee, I've always found that it produces a more flavorful coffee than a drip machine without any of the excess bitterness or acidity. I grind the beans coarse with my burr grinder (Cuisinart), and use a giant spoonful for each 8oz cup. I poor in just off boiling water, let steep for 4 minutes, give it a stir, wait another 2 minutes or so, and press the beans down. It makes for an extremely smooth and tasty cup. The only bad thing about the French press is that it cools down rather quickly. I'd like to find one that is thicker glass than the Bodum, or maybe I'll just make a neoprene cozy for it.

During work, my coffee comes from a Starbucks iCup machine which has a hopper on the top that grinds the beans right before it makes the coffee with it. It's actually pretty darn tasty, although I am not a fan of Starbuck's roasting.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also used the French press, and I agree with what you say on all points. The one minor problem I have with it is that you really have to pour all of it out (serve it) after the four or so minutes or the rest gets over-brewed. I also hate cleaning the filter screen on the Melior French press because of all the layers mine has to clean. Maybe newer ones are more efficient in that regard. Despite my liking my Bloomfield for every day use and especially for large parties, because I can brew different types of coffee (regular, decaf, etc.) and keep all the pots hot, is my favorite coffee maker is my Cory stainless steel vacuum pot (with stainless steel funnel) circa 1930 that I inherited from my grandmother. Like the French press, it allows full exposure of all the coffee grounds with all the water. I don't use it daily because you need to be a slave to it. It is, as I say, "fully manual." You have to pour in a measured amount of water, wait for it to boil, place the brewing funnel with measured coffee on it, wait for the water to come into the funnel, time it and then take it off the heat and have the coffee flow back into the pot.

I'm glad to see someone else makes strong coffee. The gurus I learned from always said to use one full one ounce coffee measure (which weighs 10 grams whether it is whole beans or grounds) per 6 ounces of water. That's how I got to use 100 grams for a 64 ounce pot that I mentioned in my earlier post.
magenta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like tea more then coffee. My fave is Earl Gray (natural). I also like tea with different herbs.
As for coffee, Javaberry is one of my favorites. I like smooth coffee. I like when it smells gently. And if I drink coffee it MUST be without sugar or milk.
Ishbel

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like teas better than coffee, too... but suspect that is because I'm British!
Earl Grey, Lady Grey and Darjeeling are my favourites. I'm not keen on the more herby-flavoured teas like camomile or raspberry teas.
toosweet4u

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you have tasted one, but my favorite coffee is from the Philippines. My Filipino buddy brought coffee once and shared it to me. It's really strong! You know what I mean?
marshamellow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: coffee Reply with quote

My favorite coffee is Dunkin Donuts brand.
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with garyprotien.....I love using a French Press, but you have to serve all of that coffee rather quickly or it gets over brewed. Other than that though, I think it is one of the best ways to enjoy coffee.
YoKitty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

---Fanatic Alert!---

Java Government Estate, bought green, roasted by my husband to a city roast, and brewed in a glass vacuum pot.
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YoKitty wrote:
---Fanatic Alert!---

Java Government Estate, bought green, roasted by my husband to a city roast, and brewed in a glass vacuum pot.

I have to tell you....your post inspired me to look into this and I just received my first order of 5 1 lb bags of green beans! I roasted up my first batch and am in love with this! It's cheaper and tastes a million times better...

thanks!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried roasting coffee several years ago. The end result was good tasting coffee, but the smell of coffee ROASTING isn't anything like the smell of ROASTED coffee. Until the coffee roasting cycle is completed, the smell in the house is more like that of wood being burned as it is cut with a dull, warped, out of round circular saw blade! No one was happy when I roasted my coffee. I hope you don't have the same problem.

I'm curious to know what you used to roast your coffee. I used a small, hot air type home coffee roaster which is a miniature version of what Whole Foods uses in their stores to roast their coffees. After the third time using it, I decided to roast the coffee in the bathroom, where I could close the door and open the window to let the smell out without letting all the air conditioned or heated air out of the house, depending on what the season was. I eventually stopped roasting my own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum