Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

meringue cookies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epbquilts4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: meringue cookies Reply with quote

I make merinque cookies that are supposed to be light and airy. They used to be light and airy, but all of a sudden they have become chewy. When you put them in your mouth they become gummy--kind of like caramel. I haven't changed the recipe, oven, or anything. This is the recipe:

2 egg whites room temperature, 1 t vanilla, pinch of salt, 1/2 C sugar, 1 C mini chocolate chips. Preheat oven to 300, beat egg whites until they hold peaks, add vanilla and salt, continue beating while adding sugar until the mixture is thick and glossy. Fold in chocolate chips, drop by spoonfuls onto foil-lined cookie sheets. Bake 30 minutes at 300.

Any ideas what could have caused the change in texture?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Yet another guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is a change in humidity. Otherwise the only thing I'd say sounds odd is the temperature and time; meringues are generally dried out at a very low temperature (250-200), but cookies might be an exception.

Sping showers are surely to blame :P
youngcook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know why. Yummy recipe. I will try it though. I also think it is either humidity or your oven.
Taamar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meringues are chewy if they are not completely dried by the baking process. It's almost impossible to make them crisp if it's rainy or humid out. Your best bet is to increase cooking time, though it may be enough to turn off the oven at the end of the cooking time and leave them in overnight.
Echo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: def the humidity Reply with quote

and these are also called go to bed cookies
some recipes call for turning off the oven and going to bed....

to dry the meringue...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum